U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 04:33 PM

4,726 posts, read 4,834,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Yes, I was going to disprove the diversity falsification she stated but I figured someone would jump on that pretty quickly.
Like you were going to define the "Appalachian" Culture....Don't waste your time....LOL

Old 03-03-2012, 04:35 PM

6,355 posts, read 4,540,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It sounded a bit condescending, and even moreso when you explained it.
How's that chip on your shoulder treating you?

Old 03-03-2012, 04:36 PM

70,078 posts, read 60,674,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Talking about Metro Area...Not Just City....Thanks
I doubt the metro would show Pittsburgh in a more diverse light. Most of the burbs are close to 100% white.

Hennepin County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Minneapolis

Ramsey County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
St. Paul

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/25/25025.html
Boston

Allegheny County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Pittsburgh

Old 03-03-2012, 04:38 PM

1,656 posts, read 849,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
I'll take a stab, although I really don't want to get dragged into this dispute per se.

I think Pittsburgh is more parochial than other cities in which I've lived. A lack of recent immigration into the area would seem to largely contribute to that. The fact that we are a "city of neighborhoods" may even play into that underlying sense of place. That to me differentiates it from the Eastern cities or even the Midwestern ones (to a lesser extent) and it shares with much of the surrounding region, urban/rural exceptions apply of course.

Certainly the geography of the region plays a role in shaping the culture of the City, doesn't it? Again, I go back to the city of neighborhoods concept. The role that coal and the rivers played in shaping the City is undeniable. The Steel industry doesn't exist without easy access to both and it's legacy, while diminished, is still here.

I do also think that there's some merit to "reverse engineering" this process. If you first figure out the culture of Pittsburgh, what makes it unique, you can then apply it to the region as a whole and look for consistencies. I find truth in the notion that Pittsburgh is Appalachian and therefore helps to define the culture that you're suggesting it isn't a part of.

Paris may be more similar to London than a small town outside of Toulouse, but they're still both French and no one would suggest that Paris doesn't help shape French culture.
Thank you, I think it sums it up nicely.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:52 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,553,628 times
Appalacian Culture definitely exists! My mother was Appalacian!

A good description of it can be found here: A.R.M.

With Pittsburgh being more metropolitan than the isolated mountains, it doesn't have as many of those traits.

But the city is still influenced by Appalacian culture. Appalacian people relocate to Pittsburgh and bring their cultural values with them.

I'm really offended that you say Appalacian Culture doesn't exist. How would you feel if I said African American Culture didn't exist?

Old 03-03-2012, 05:00 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,172,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

With Pittsburgh being more metropolitan than the isolated mountains, it doesn't have as many of those traits.

But the city is still influenced by Appalacian culture. Appalacian people relocate to Pittsburgh and bring their cultural values with them.

I'm really offended that you say Appalacian Culture doesn't exist. How would you feel if I said African American Culture didn't exist?
Unless you can give her an EXACT DEFINITION of what Appalachian culture is, then she claims it doesn't exist...don't even attempt normal conversation

Old 03-03-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

I can define AA culture it exists all over america and its specific to a Race, Appalachian Culture has nothing to do with Race.....and here we go with the Racial ingections again....You really had to go there didn't you....What is it with people and Race on this forum.....

You said it yourself Pittsburgh doesn't have many of the traits, and again Appalachian Region is more than just WPA...So I guess someone from Scranton PA or Alabama can consider themselves "Appalachian" too even though there so-called culture has nothing to do with that of WPA. If the "Appalachian Culture" is so pronounced how come Pittsburgh doesn't define itself with the Culture.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 03-03-2012 at 05:10 PM..

Old 03-03-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Like you were going to define the "Appalachian" Culture....Don't waste your time....LOL
Wow you just don't GET it do you....you still can't comprehend what I and all of these people are trying to tell you...unbelievable. and nice try to cover up the fake "statistic" that you completely and utterly made up about Pittsburgh being more diverse than Boston and Mpls...lol

Old 03-03-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Wow you just don't GET it do you....you still can't comprehend what I and all of these people are trying to tell you...unbelievable. and nice try to cover up the fake "statistic" that you completely and utterly made up about Pittsburgh being more diverse than Boston and Mpls...lol
Boston and Minneapolis metros are more Whiter than Pittsburgh's nothing fake about it I even pointed you to the stats.....and my using them was to prove being a majority white Metro has nothing to do with being of a regional culture, had nothing to with being diverse....Now who's one not reading....Seriously get a clue.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:08 PM

LOL wow. We are not saying Pittsburghers are "Appalachian"... we are saying that the city has INFLUENCES from Appalachia AS DO OTHER CITIES IN THE REGION. That is something that SEPARATES us from New York, but does not DEFINE us... DO YOU GET IT YET.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh