U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:52 PM

9,879 posts, read 9,223,823 times
Washington Plaza isn't what you want, not as "good" as you're looking for.

201 Stanwix downtown may be available already or by then, but may be over your budget for 2BR. Rivervue is starting move ins in April but is heavily skewed towards 1BR I think and only a few floors will be ready by then. These two brand new conversions (former office buildings) are right downtown near the point. Downtown is not typically considered a lively residential neighborhood exactly, but it is a growing residential neighborhood, and there are certainly bars and restaurants to walk to, and some shopping although the shopping may not all be open too late after work hours and such. Grocery won't be an easily walkable shopping in that area, although that's true of all but a few spots really.

You could also look at Morgan at North Shore, this is effectively downtown. Not sure what they get for 2BR these days, I think some of them may be in that range but not sure. Built in the late 90s.

We didn't have a ton of rental apartment construction in the late 90s and early 00s so we really don't have a glut of buildings or complexes that are that new. As far as more individual units, you find some renovated, some quite nicely, but that takes some digging. Rental occupancy is high so rents are somewhat high in a way. Downtown is one place where there have been new conversions, and they've all rented really fast so far. The two new ones above are by far the largest, with between them nearly 400 new units going online in total eventually.

I'm not familiar with easily identifiable suitable properties in the East End neighborhoods. There are a couple on the South Side as someone mentioned, that could be a good option. Other than that you have the suburban stuff like the Taylor Ridge you were looking at. It's not an awful commute to downtown from there, and it's a decent base for traveling, but it's kinda nowhere as far as shopping and such. (It's only a couple miles from some, but it's all going to be driving.)

Someone mentioned Sewickley but you'll have to be digging for properties I think. Same thing with Mt Lebanon sort of areas I think. There are probably upscale renovated rentals in these places somewhere, but they are not in some readily available "here's a building/complex to check out" that I can think of, especially if you're looking to be near the walkable downtowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 01:55 PM

1,053 posts, read 938,835 times
Living anywhere downtown or within the city generally is going to be problematic for you, because you're practically guaranteed to see and possibly even interact with non-white people there.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:00 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,878,906 times
Good, bad, or indifferent... Squirrel Hill is culturally very diverse but economically not so much.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:03 PM

3,449 posts, read 1,987,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Living anywhere downtown or within the city generally is going to be problematic for you, because you're practically guaranteed to see and possibly even interact with non-white people there.
Being that I would classify almost none of our city neighborhoods as 'diverse' it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:17 PM

18 posts, read 25,305 times
while we are on this subject does anyone have any black/hispanic neighborhood recommendations for pittsburgh where i can move my 401k? it seems like any time white people get near it, a thousand dollars disappears.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:25 PM

4,633 posts, read 4,492,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I don't think Washington Plaza would be ideal given what you've said. Squirrel Hill would be ideal if you could find a place there. Most Pittsburgh area neighborhoods and suburbs are white so you should not have a problem finding a place. If you want walkable, try Mt Lebanon.
But Squirrel Hill is one of the most Diverse Affluent Neighborhoods in the City...The OP wants "Less Diverse" (Meaning Lily White)...

If the OP wants Pure White Affluent, he needs to stick to the Burbs that would be best.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:31 PM

41,710 posts, read 46,215,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
But Squirrel is one of the most Diverse Affluent Neighborhoods in the City...The OP wants less Diverse (Meaning Lily White)
When a black family comes here looking for diverse neighborhoods, that's okay. Drop the double standard.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:35 PM

4,633 posts, read 4,492,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When a black family comes here looking for diverse neighborhoods, that's okay. Drop the double standard.
?????? WTH are you talking about, of course that's OK! Looking for diverse neighborhood is quite alright.

The OP said he wanted a "Less Diverse Neighborhood" meaning he wants to be around only Affluent Whites.....Forget just Affluent in general.

Are you some champion of Segregation Hopes?

Old 03-07-2012, 02:36 PM

70 posts, read 80,990 times
I should have clarified this earlier that my definition of diversity is essentially based on my experience living in Chicago, which is on-an-average much more diverse than Pittsburgh.
I do not have any qualms interacting with non-whites but I would want to live in a predominantly white area. I think Squirrel hill is good but I find mostly townhomes there.....and Im not sure what the difference is living in a townhome vs apartment in terms of expenses/taxes/assessments whatever.

Also, can someone comment on Squirrel Hill north vs Squirrel hill south?

Old 03-07-2012, 02:38 PM

9,879 posts, read 9,223,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Where's the double standard? Sounded pretty straight up. White affluent = suburbs. Even Shadyside and Squirrel Hill wouldn't qualify.

Heck, I'm not even sure Franklin Park (which is where that Taylor Ridge place is) qualifies. Did you see that map a while back with the Asian population? Not sure how much of it is families and how much of it is whites with adopted Chinese babies (which there are quite a number of out that way) but it was among the highest concentration around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh