U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:46 PM

29 posts, read 19,667 times
Default Possible Relo to Pitts

My husband might be relocated to Pittsburg. Working for a company out by the airport (not sure which one). We currently live in South Florida. We have 2 children (5 yr and 3 yr) We need a town with great public schools, culture, nice lifestyle, family/night activities, sense of community, etc. We also like the idea of deed restricted housing developments which is what we are used to here in Fl. Some of the execs. at the company suggested Cranberry or North HIlls. Can anyone share any information about these areas? I am a stay at home mom and would like to live in a very safe and family oriented area. Need good preschool and elementary schools. Also, we can spend up to $450 on a house. Not sure what house prices go for up there. We have a 5 bedroom house with pool and would like something similar.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 05:13 PM

9,879 posts, read 9,213,749 times
Well, North Hills is a sort of generic wider area.

Cranberry is what it is. It's a newer sprawling suburb. This is probably not a lot different than what you're used to. Because it's over the county line, the property taxes are somewhat lower, though you still might find that the property taxes are higher than you're used to. So keep that in mind when considering your budget. Schools there are good, though it's a large and still growing district.

$450k I assume you mean on the house, not sure whether that gets you 5BR here or not. I think most common stuff is 4BR rather than 5, but I'm not sure. Pools are less common obviously because of the season. If you find suitable existing house with pool, that might benefit you because in theory that drive the value down a bit here. Not sure if that's still true, but in general it has been. At the very least it doesn't add much. Cranberry is an area that's full of newer construction 4BR houses I should think, including more being built now if you want a new one.

It's not the most convenient place to the airport area, though. Not bad, but not so close. Might take 30 min to get over there roughly. You could just as easily look in Moon, I think, with fairly equal schools and such. Or perhaps over the Beaver County line into Hopewell, think there is some of that sort of construction in that area. Not as familiar though.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:43 PM

857 posts, read 359,367 times
In the airport area alone, you may also want to check out Moon and Robinson Townships, plus North Fayette and South Fayette.
There are many, many newer housing developments in all of those communities, and the school districts are good too.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:15 PM

80 posts, read 54,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2monkeys View Post
Pittsburg
Before anything, though, you'll want to start spelling Pittsburgh with an "h"

Welcome!

Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 7,890 times
You could consider South Fayette.. Its one of the fastest growing township in Pittsburgh and a wonderful School district.. Its very much closer to the Airport and there are lot of new construction going on!! Good luck on your search

Old 03-08-2012, 12:30 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,877,549 times
Pittsburgh is a nice place to live although obviously the weather will be different than what you are used to in Florida. I wouldn't worry about where to live until you actually have the job, but there are plenty of places you can live that will suit your needs.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:25 AM

3,317 posts, read 2,858,532 times
My guess is that you probably won't get as much house here as down south. If you want a deed restricted development then you have to long in a newer area. I would look in Peters, South Fayette or Seven Fields.

Also, pools aren't that popular here. So, you might have to put one which could be expensive. So, budget accordingly.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:06 PM

250 posts, read 134,459 times
Man oh man, don't go for the pool. This is not Florida. We have a real winter here, and you will find yourself spending soooo much time maintaining it , winterizing it, repairing it, etc. And then you will only be able to use it for less than 4 months of the year. My parents had one growing up in Pgh- I would never own one here although I have owned one in CA.

Unless you have endless amounts of money to sink into it and can build an indoor pool. Then, go for it.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:22 PM

3,571 posts, read 1,612,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2monkeys View Post
We need a town with great public schools, culture, nice lifestyle, family/night activities, sense of community, etc. We also like the idea of deed restricted housing developments which is what we are used to here in Fl.
I imagine someone will take exception to this, but IMO, those two things are all but mutually exclusive up here.

The North Hills and West out by Robinson are mostly sprawl, malls and chain restaurants. You'll find your housing, but for the most part, "there's no there, there." I'm having a hard time thinking of any town North or West that has an actual "there" (any small downtown with local businesses where communities congregate). At least Moon has Robert Morris U, so you'll have some stage/music productions there. Moon was given some award for best place to raise a family recently.

Mt. Lebanon would best fit the description in your first sentence. But you're not going to find that type of housing. And where there are bigger houses, you'll lose the sense of community you'd get from being closer to your neighbors toward the center of town.

The good news is you can own a small dog as there are no alligators

Old 03-10-2012, 08:00 AM

29 posts, read 19,667 times
Thanks everyone. Someone of you have mentioned looking elsewhere (not cranberry) is there a reason? The executives at my husbands 'potental' company live in Cranberry and rave about it--big YMCA, nice houseing developments, strip malls, great schools. Is this inaccurate? He's willing to drive from Cranberry to his job....why look in other towns (Seven Hills, Moon, etc).

We definitly want a town with a sense of community. We love housing developments, sidewalks, ride bikes to school, etc. Is Cranberry not the place? Seven Hills better?

What are the pros/cons of Cranberry and what other town would be better.

And thanks for the pool info. I guess we won't go for one. : ( I'm looking forward to having seasons again but will miss being able to swim year round.

Thanks for any help. This is very important as I will be a stay at home mom so I'm looking to make good friendships for myself (other SAHMs) and my kids. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh