Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:27 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times

Advertisements

I would like those forumers who take an interest in urban development to try and guess when our next skyscaper will be built. Let's think with our heads and not our hearts. Many of us felt that PNC's new building might be the city's tallest. That was more from the heart than the head.
In addition to when such a building may break ground, how tall will it be? Who will be the major tenant/developer? Where Downtown will it be located? ..I predict a fifty story tower to be built on a parcel next to One Oxford Centre. Ground will be broken in 2015. It will be built by one of the major energy companies drilling for Marcellus Shale, with other major tenants also. There should still be a demand for new class A space Downtown, as there is now. Hopefully the recession will be a distant memory and Downtown can grow as much vertically as it did in the 1980s. ....When you think about it, there are not many locations left Downtown to build too many more buildings of thirty stories or more without wholesale destruction of other buidings or the abolisment of height restrictions. I feel that buildings along Fort Pitt and Fort Duquesne Boulevard should be allowed to be as high as thirty stories. These are areas where there are parcels that could be developed. New York and Chicago build high on their perimeters bordering waterfronts. If we need to, we should also. The area of Mellon Arena should also allow as tall as needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 06:22 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I agree an energy company is a good bet for building a landmark skyscraper Downtown.

Incidentally, the southwest corner of Forbes and Smithfield, currently occupied by the three-story building with the CVS, and the soon-to-be-former-Saks parcel are two more logical places to remove the existing buildings and build tall.

Eventually if driverless cars take over, all the parking garages are potential locations.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:17 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
the best opportunity for a larger building is next to One Oxford (where a second tower was planned in the 80s), but we'll see, demand will have to really increase for that to happen.

A great use of space would be to have a somewhat dense mixed use center at Allegheny Ctr - that's right, level it and build new.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:27 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
The Civic Arena site seems ideal for a tall skyscraper, and considering that is also a lot with a high altitude, it would make a new tower even more impressive.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:35 AM

I think it will be tough to sell an investor on building super-tall in a site which is still somewhat speculative.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:58 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The Civic Arena site seems ideal for a tall skyscraper, and considering that is also a lot with a high altitude, it would make a new tower even more impressive.
I doubt it will happen, but it sure wouldn't take a very tall building there to make it look like the tallest (even though it isn't).

Old 03-11-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I doubt it will happen, but it sure wouldn't take a very tall building there to make it look like the tallest (even though it isn't).
Even a 20-30 story building would look huge.

But I suspect we will more be talking 10-15, and yet even in that range it will make an impression from Downtown.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:55 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Eventually if driverless cars take over, all the parking garages are potential locations.
You've got to stop reading those Popular Mechanics.

I've wondered about the wisdom of skyscrapers. Alcoa left their skyscraper in favor of a low rise. They felt that multiple floors was a hindrance to collaboration. But skyscrapers do look good and appeal to an inner urge.

NPR Media Player

The Fordham Spire and later renamed the Chicago Spire was cancelled. It would have been 2,000 feet. All the really tall buildings in the US are in New York and Chicago. The tallest US building elsewhere is the Bank of America building in Atlanta, 1024 feet. Tallest in PA is Comcast Center in Philadelphia at 975 feet. US Steel is only 841. I suppose Pittsburgh would have more justification than most due to limited space to build up.

Honestly, I have no desire to work in a skyscraper.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
You've got to stop reading those Popular Mechanics.
The barriers are legal, not technological, and those may start coming down in the near future:

Driverless Cars on California Roads Could be Regulated

Last edited by BrianTH; 03-11-2012 at 05:49 PM..

Old 03-11-2012, 05:54 PM

225 posts, read 323,685 times
A new tower will be built in downtown when lease rates for class "A" space reach $30/SF. If things continue going as they are it may happen by 2017. I would think the site next to Oxford is a fit, as well as the site next to One Mellon and the former Riverpark site are the most likely locations. Its not going to be super tall - probably just 30 stories.

It won't be built by one of the gas companies; for the most part they aren't interested in downtown. Its more likely to be a bank or law firm that will be the initial tenant, but it will be owned by a third party developer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh