Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 06:55 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Hm, never heard that about Chipotle - In and Out puts religious verses on their cups.

I just don't think burritos need to be as big as pillows!
I used to hear things like "Boy, I sure do wish Pittsburgh had a Chipotle" or "Pittsburgh will never be in the big time until it gets a Chipotle" Now we have them. Whoopee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 07:55 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
... in n out is like the penguins and steelers to yinzers. die hard fanatics for no damn reason.)

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. No reason? You are obviously lacking in the history of our region. Firstly, I am not a die hard sports fan of any type and for the most part could care less, BUT I certainly understand how the Steelers became so popular. It is shocking how clueless people can be. Do you know what it was like to be in Pittsburgh in the 70's? Do you read? Unemployment was super high, people were leaving the city in droves for work and the only bright spot in the week was to watch a football game and pretend everything was okay for a few hours. "no damn reason"? Really? How about going to the library and try understanding this region before you spit on it. TONS of people were out of work and those jobs were gone forever. LEARN some things before you speak.

Also for the record, I really think it is pretty sad and really prejudice against some native Pittsburgh'ers calling them Yinzers followed by some put down. I find it as back as calling a black person the N-word or a Mexican the S-word. You are attacking a class of people in the same manner, so I see no difference. Take a look at yourself. Yeah, some locals aren't a protected class, so it is fine to put them down, but I want to point out what it sounds like to me. Pure prejudicial garbage against a class of people.

Last edited by gg; 06-01-2014 at 08:05 AM..

Old 06-01-2014, 08:00 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Hm, never heard that about Chipotle - In and Out puts religious verses on their cups.

I just don't think burritos need to be as big as pillows!
I don't eat there because the burritos are big. I DO however like some things about Chipotle and give them high marks for fighting the GMO foods mess. That in itself could be enough for me to go there if I want to be uncomfortably stuffed for a few hours. They are very popular here. Heck there are two within blocks from each other. One by Whole Foods and the other by P&W. I don't think they will put one at the Babyland site.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You don't have a clue what you are talking about. No reason? You are obviously lacking in the history of our region. Firstly, I am not a die hard sports fan of any type and for the most part could care less, BUT I certainly understand how the Steelers became so popular. It is shocking how clueless people can be. Do you know what it was like to be in Pittsburgh in the 70's? Do you read? Unemployment was super high, people were leaving the city in droves for work and the only bright spot in the week was to watch a football game and pretend everything was okay for a few hours. "no damn reason"? Really? How about going to the library and try understanding this region before you spit on it. TONS of people were out of work and those jobs were gone forever. LEARN some things before you speak.

Also for the record, I really think it is pretty sad and really prejudice against some native Pittsburgh'ers calling them Yinzers followed by some put down. I find it as back as calling a black person the N-word or a Mexican the S-word. You are attacking a class of people in the same manner, so I see no difference. Take a look at yourself. Yeah, some locals aren't a protected class, so it is fine to put them down, but I want to point out what it sounds like to me. Pure prejudicial garbage against a class of people.
I agree with this. I also wonder why people question the fanaticism of Pittsburghers about the Steelers. Any city that has the success of the Steelers would have that kind of support. I could argue that there are several other teams in professional sports with an equally loyal fan base. Some of those franchises have had success, but not as much as the Steelers. Yet, they still have a ton of die hard fans and people that build shrines in their homes to their teams etc. What hcurtis said is true. The success of the Steelers and the Pirates brought pride to the city in the 1970s. Both teams were in the playoffs pretty much every year or came close every year throughout the decade. The city was the laughingstock of the nation. We were the underdog. That is what made those triumphs on the field that much sweeter.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:08 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
The city was the laughingstock of the nation. We were the underdog. That is what made those triumphs on the field that much sweeter.
Do you remember those times? I remember being on vacation in Florida or North Carolina and even as a kid, I didn't want to say I was from Pittsburgh. I always said I was from my suburb hometown to try and hide where I was from. Can you believe that? It was a unemployed, smoke filled, run down and depressed mess and about the only thing you had to keep your mind off the massive mess were the two sports teams that were wildly successful. 4 Super Bowls and 2 World Series and the years they didn't win, they were still in contention about every year. These newbies like Barq have NO idea what it was like back then. Name calling Pittsburgh's working class in the manner they do is more than offensive and they sure should judgmental as all heck. The Pittsburgh slang term, "yinzer", really should be reserved for native people that know what it is and means. We use the term primarily in a positive light because they are mostly hard working tough people and would give the shirt off their backs much faster than some clown in a suit thinking they are successful. I know plenty of them and are friends with them and they are the ones you call if you really need a hand. They will help you move and whatever. These newbies don't have a clue about history of our region. They are "know it all" newbies and nothing more. Did you ever notice the people that use the term yinzer are always complaining about everything? I guess they think yinzers are below them? I hardly think so.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:19 AM

A former poster used to cry about the weather constantly. That in and of itself was annoying enough. To add insult to injury, these weather rants usually included something derogatory about "yinzers" or "ugly people" or "bad roads" etc. To me, this was more than someone viewing their opinion, but a bonafide jerk stirring the pot. So when people disagreed, this person would respond with more venom. Who needs """holes like that?

Old 06-01-2014, 10:49 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
A former poster used to cry about the weather constantly. That in and of itself was annoying enough. To add insult to injury, these weather rants usually included something derogatory about "yinzers" or "ugly people" or "bad roads" etc. To me, this was more than someone viewing their opinion, but a bonafide jerk stirring the pot. So when people disagreed, this person would respond with more venom. Who needs """holes like that?
I have been using the ignore feature. Works great for the most part. Times have changed a lot in Pittsburgh, but you need to be old enough to have an understanding of its past and having newbies to our region acting like they have a clue is getting old. Pictures of old Pittsburgh are okay, but there is no replacing living through something. Reading posts from Barq and SCR can grind my gears a bit. They are totally new to this area and complain about some of the locals. My response to them is wait 20 years and maybe you will understand the region a bit better to have a conversation with a native. Calling a class of locals a name isn't helping their cause.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:42 PM

57 posts, read 105,316 times
Default other corner penn negely

next door to Monroe Muffler there is a sign up too. They want to make that corner a permanent storage/ parking area for construction vehicles and supplies, so the fate of Penn And Negley does not look well at this moment.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:08 PM

[quote=joco;35047009]next door to Monroe Muffler there is a sign up too. They want to make that corner a permanent storage/ parking area for construction vehicles and supplies, so the fate of Penn And Negley does not look well at this moment.[/QUOt

That's great. They'll be in good shape for maintaining those vehicles if they need a quart of oil or a set of plugs with the new Auto Zone across the street. That is the only logical use for those corners. More people need to "Get Into The Zone! Auto Zone!"

Old 06-01-2014, 06:20 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,953,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post

Good post. Im really digging the new h_curtis. your on a role.

I was a very young child in the early 70s. I remember the exodus quite well though. We had a neighbor commit suicide and I was to young to understand why. My street changed over night and the adjacent new housing that was under construction was put to a hault. the foundations and frames were left to deteriorate over the next decade. I was a bitter sweet time in my life.

Last edited by wpipkins2; 06-01-2014 at 06:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh