U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:24 AM

18,717 posts, read 15,628,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Unless perhaps you live in a place like NYC, it certainly ups your driving as you are going to different parties, kid amenities, sports, and so on.

On the other hand, if you live close enough to most things and don't drive for your work commutes (this is our scenario), you still may drive less than most households.
Plus, when you have a few kids your life becomes very busy and you don't have time to wait for buses. Not to mention it just becomes tricky to keep all the kids together (especially if you also have to manage shopping bags). I can remember taking the bus quite a bit when my first child was born, but by the time we had two it was difficult and I could always tell the other passengers weren't thrilled about having a mom with kids on the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 10:27 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,359,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Please do. I know Robinson well and I'd be willing to bet money on the fact that there are no 70 mph speed limit signs. ... I wish there were!
There are not. As noted earlier, the maximum speed limit in the entire state of Pennsylvania is 65 mph.

File:US speed limits.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-14-2012, 10:27 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,072,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Please do. I know Robinson well and I'd be willing to bet money on the fact that there are no 70 mph speed limit signs. ... I wish there were!
I wish there was too. I drive this every day to work and there's certainly no 70mph zone on 79 near Robinson. Or anywhere in PA for that matter. 65mph is the max speed limit on highways in PA. I was also disappointed to learn that after moving from a state where 70mph speed limits were common.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:29 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,867,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
and I could always tell the other passengers weren't thrilled about having a mom with kids on the bus.
Hmm, they are very welcoming of our kids on our bus, but it is a very neighborly bus route (we even have a holiday party with other riders).

Old 03-14-2012, 10:30 AM

13,202 posts, read 10,851,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I wish there was too. I drive this every day to work and there's certainly no 70mph zone on 79 near Robinson. Or anywhere in PA for that matter. 65mph is the max speed limit on highways in PA. I was also disappointed to learn that after moving from a state where 70mph speed limits were common.
It's even worse that I-79 is 55mph from the city to I-70.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:33 AM

4,095 posts, read 3,258,218 times
I actually *feel* like I drive a lot (I commute via PAT and via car, depending on the weather, how much I'm carrying, and if I want that extra 15 minutes of sleep or not), however I only put 6,000 miles on my car in the past year. Much of which was road trips. It's highly likely that I would be driving much more if I still lived in Toledo, there's fewer walkable neighborhoods there, and the jobs aren't as concentrated in downtown Toledo as they are in downtown Pittsburgh and Oakland.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 AM

5,453 posts, read 4,042,456 times
Yes and no. It truly depends because you're not forced to sign up your kids for soccer, dance, karate and art classes....its optional. For some may just be one extra drive a week.

I drive for business too...so doomed if I do, doomed if I don't...LOL

Quote:
I think when you have kids, you tend to drive a lot no matter what city you live in. Especially if you have several kids.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:42 AM

Same goes for planes, or trains, or any public place for that matter...I feel we are the new "segregated" category of ppl! LOLOL

If childless ppl are so busy being bothered by us/the ones with kids in public, then I propose family only restaurants, planes, trains, buses, parks, beaches, trails, stores, streets, highways, and public bathrooms!

Quote:
I could always tell the other passengers weren't thrilled about having a mom with kids on the bus.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:50 AM

150 posts, read 122,670 times
Since I moved to Mt. Lebanon five years ago I drive significantly less. I work downtown so I leave my car at home and walk to the T Station. I will often stop on my way home for groceries, take-out, or other odds and ends so I don't have to use my car.

I will drive on the weekends for errands and whatnot but my day-to-day use is way down. In fact, I'm exempt from the emissions test when I get inspected for staying under 5k.

So while I think it would be really inconvienent to live in Pittsburgh without a car it is definiteily possible to use one sparingly.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:53 AM

What does that mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeigh2182 View Post
In fact, I'm exempt from the emissions test when I get inspected for staying under 5k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh