Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:00 AM

165 posts, read 262,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
What does that mean?

Vehicle Emissions Testing in Pennsylvania | DOT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 10:00 AM

356 posts, read 916,908 times
I drive less here than when we lived in the Houston suburbs but this is largely because of our choice to live in the city. Also, I usually take the bus to work. In Houston, I was driving 20 miles to work each day. On a typical weekday here, I drive less than 10 miles total.

We have alway had a good reception to our kids on the bus. Our son has only ridden a few times but we have taken our daughter on the bus regularly to get home from afterschool or to get to and from summer camps in Oakland. Unfortunately, after the last round of cuts/ service modifications, the buses just became too far-spaced and unreliable to depend on them to get to nearby activities and to deal with at the end of the workday.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:01 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Hmm, they are very welcoming of our kids on our bus, but it is a very neighborly bus route (we even have a holiday party with other riders).
Oh, now that's my idea of a great bus route. I suspect it's an advantage of seeing the same passengers on a regular basis--which I think is more likely in a city like Pittsburgh. The one time I tried taking more than 1 kid on a bus, it was in LA. I don't know, maybe I'm completely wrong but sometimes I think mass transit in bigger cities is less friendly. Also, we weren't regular passengers, which may have been a factor.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:08 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeigh2182 View Post
In fact, I'm exempt from the emissions test when I get inspected for staying under 5k.
Wow, I never knew about that exemption. Now I've never driven anywhere near that low in a year (I'm lucky if I keep it under 15k!) but it's nice to know that exists.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:27 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Oh, now that's my idea of a great bus route. I suspect it's an advantage of seeing the same passengers on a regular basis--which I think is more likely in a city like Pittsburgh. The one time I tried taking more than 1 kid on a bus, it was in LA. I don't know, maybe I'm completely wrong but sometimes I think mass transit in bigger cities is less friendly. Also, we weren't regular passengers, which may have been a factor.
Yeah, the same people have been seeing our son on the bus since he was a baby, and the same thing has now started with our daughter. That happens because it is a commuter route with a fairly limited core service area.

I'm sure there are routes like that in other cities, but Pittsburgh lends itself to that sort of thing because of its micro-neighborhood development pattern, which is in part a function of topography, and also of the timing of its development (meaning a lot of it was pre-WWII, in the "streetcar suburb" era).

Old 03-14-2012, 10:34 AM

632 posts, read 1,071,109 times
Yes, much less. In Detroit, my work commute was maybe half of what it is here in Pittsburgh. But, everything else in Detroit is so spread out, thats what drove up my mileage. In South Side I can walk to most places. Also - I dont know many people here/have my friends so its less travel in that regard, more time to stay at home.

In Pittsburgh, I really only use my car for commute to work (South Side to Wilmerding) using 376-30-Ti Boro...and practice when its in Manchester. I can usually go about two weeks between fillups, whereas before it was every 5-7 days.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:52 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
If you want to have a life that's fun and interesting (basically wanting to go out and actually do things) you're going to be running a lot of miles up on a car here. Now if you going from work, home, getting some groceries once in awhile, then yeah maybe you can use public transportation and cut down on car use.

If you like staying at home then public transportation is fine.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:20 PM

733 posts, read 987,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
If you want to have a life that's fun and interesting (basically wanting to go out and actually do things) you're going to be running a lot of miles up on a car here. Now if you going from work, home, getting some groceries once in awhile, then yeah maybe you can use public transportation and cut down on car use.

If you like staying at home then public transportation is fine.
Not necessarily. I think this is much more an ideological issue than a practical one. If you live in the city and do things in the city, you can definitely have a fun and interesting life with a bus pass and a bike. Granted, you have to be willing to use a bike, haha, which I think most people don't want to do.

Granted, if you live in the suburbs, or hang out in the suburbs, you might be in trouble, haha, but the city is really easy to navigate via bike and small enough that it's quite doable.

Like I said, I put about 3,000 miles a year on my car and that's including road trips. And I'm not even hardcore, haha, I do drive around town quite a bit in lieu of cycling.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:23 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I really detest driving in the South Hills.

I don't really have a point, other than to perhaps note that is arguably the worst part of the core area for people who don't like driving on congested, confusing, older roads.
It is awful. The first time I drove rt 51 during rush hour I could have had a panic attack. Thankfully I rarely have to drive down there.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:28 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Wow, I never knew about that exemption. Now I've never driven anywhere near that low in a year (I'm lucky if I keep it under 15k!) but it's nice to know that exists.
Its true. I'm hoping I can qualify for that when I get my car inspected in May (I bought in last year) as the only serious long driving ive done is a trip to Nashville, and a couple drives up to butler. Besides that I never drive more than 10-14 miles a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh