Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 03:45 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times

Advertisements

hahahahahahahahaha

It might be true...you never know...it sure doesn't look like these people have even read the table of contents of that driving manual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
This is my theory: Drivers Licenses were given out as a free handout at Pirates, Steelers, and Penguins games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 05:54 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Here's a question:

IF the speed limits barely reaches 65 (not where we came from), then why in the world our cars are made to drive over 100 miles per hour?

Where are we supposed to do that?
Back in HS, I was so proud to be the owner of a 1971 Pontiac Tempest T-37 because the speedometer went up to 140. Until my best friend got a Firebird that went to 160.

I don't know where I'd do it here, but back home we had "real" parkways - two lane controlled access, no stop lights, no commercial vehicles allowed, grass medians, no commercial development. Difficult for police to hide (this was before radar).

Got the Pontiac to 123mph one night on one of those roads. It wasn't really engineered to go any faster and maintain control on normal road conditions. I felt lied to.

Not that I'm suggesting that was a responsible thing to do of course!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,031 times
Pretty accurate list. I've driven in 5 of the top 10 cities (some regularly) and even learned how to drive for the most part in one. I encourage people from the lower grade cities to travel to some of these top ten cities and see how drivers there handle themselves and navigate city streets. For those of us traveling down from those top 10 cities it can be quite the "experience" driving in Pittsburgh and many of the "D" and "F" cities. Having to take a driving test is pretty much a universal requirement, right?

Old 03-14-2012, 10:56 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Last night I got on the turnpike in Cranberry. I witnessed a woman getting on behind me, and immediately shot for the left lane. No intent to pass, no one to pass, just crusing. Dont' get me started on this topic. 73rd is being nice.
I am very disappointed in your reaction to that. You should have gotten into the left lane and even gone slower, to show her what an idiot she was. She was no doubt driving an SUV. They do that all the time because no real driver would drive a top heavy box on wheels.

I personally think Pittsburgh drivers aren't all that horrible. They are better than DC and NJ/NYC. Not a fan of super aggressive rude driving and that is what you get in those places. Pittsburgh is a joy in comparison.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:34 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Pittsburgh has most courteous drivers - Pittsburgh Business Times

Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
The quality of Pittsburgh drivers has plummeted in recent years. The "nice, courteous" reputation of old seems to have been thrown out the window by aggressive, moronic drivers. If you don't believe me, check out the "Stupid Drivers and Near Misses" videos from this Youtube user.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:50 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I am very disappointed in your reaction to that. You should have gotten into the left lane and even gone slower, to show her what an idiot she was. She was no doubt driving an SUV. They do that all the time because no real driver would drive a top heavy box on wheels.

I personally think Pittsburgh drivers aren't all that horrible. They are better than DC and NJ/NYC. Not a fan of super aggressive rude driving and that is what you get in those places. Pittsburgh is a joy in comparison.
I see a lot of that in Kansas City. People love to clog the passing lane and middle lane on the highway and you have to pass in the right hand lane which is obviously not the passing lane.

Pittsburgh is still better than KC. I really have had enough of the idiotic driving habits of the drivers in the KC region. I can't wait until I am able to relocate. I did note during my last trip to Pittsburgh last year that more people are now tailgating than during past years and also the yield signs are broken. In years past I would see people yield right of way to traffic when they had a yield sign. but during my last trip the signs didn't work properly. But aside from that the experience driving there was still better than in KC. It is really a bipolar driving experience in KC.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:58 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
The quality of Pittsburgh drivers has plummeted in recent years. The "nice, courteous" reputation of old seems to have been thrown out the window by aggressive, moronic drivers. If you don't believe me, check out the "Stupid Drivers and Near Misses" videos from this Youtube user.
Not really. Most drivers are pretty nice as long as YOU aren't in some huge rush because YOU slept in or whatever. If you drive with the flow, you could probably drive without any conflict for most of the time. Go to NJ or DC and drive. Totally aggression and selfish styles of driving. If someone waved at you because you let them in, most would think they are pulling a gun, not waving. Pittsburgh is superior to most places. Also, much of Florida is horrible and aggressive as well for some reason, but the west coast of FL is better than the east or Orlando.

Aqua, you really seem to be a glass half empty type. You are young and might want to think about how you view things. Life is too short.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
I am very disappointed in your reaction to that. You should have gotten into the left lane and even gone slower, to show her what an idiot she was. She was no doubt driving an SUV.

It was actually a Lexus sedan. I would have done something to **** her off but I was in a hurry to get to Gamestop to get my pre ordered copy of FIFA Street.

I followed someone in the left lane from Mt Nebo all the way to the city before, and when someone is intentionally slowing down in passing lane so I can't pass, I wait until they get the hint that I'm not afraid of their actions, I'll pass them them, and then get in front of them, sometimes completely letting off my gas, sometimes fully depressing my brake pedal.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:24 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Aqua, you really seem to be a glass half empty type. You are young and might want to think about how you view things. Life is too short.
But.. but... I have video proof of my claims!

Also yeah, there was places that are way worse when it comes to driving. New England comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh