U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:52 AM

428 posts, read 320,217 times

Advertisements

Hi, I took in a pregnant cat when I was in Philly last weekend; the vet there said that she'd likely deliver in a few weeks, and appears quite healthy.

She delivered one kitten at 1:30 this morning, and still has kittens - I can feel them. She cleaned the cutie, and he's nursing just fine. But I'm very worried about the other kittens in there, and from what I've read, she outta be pushing the others out.

We haven't established a vet here yet; I live on the northside, and would like one close by, and who is not super expensive, since I haven't been working for a few months...ugh.

I'd be so grateful for a vet recommendation.

TIA, e

PS - anyone want a kitten?
PSS - yep, we're going to get her spayed as soon as safe; all of our cats are alley cats. we used to do catch and release in Philly, so don't worry - we're pretty responsible about animals. Thanks!

Last edited by ebyrnes; 03-17-2012 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: More info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,169,962 times
Wow, that sounds a little troubling. I've had cats for years but never anything to do with one giving birth so don't know about that.

I don't know what vet might be closer. There's a cat-only vet in Bloomfield I've actually been to, the guy's been seeing only cats for over 30 years. I can't say if it's expensive or not, I really don't have a lot of comparison. But it's not a big practice full of expensive gear they need to pay for, at least not last time I was there. And they are open on Saturdays. CAT CLINIC 2011

Although, I think typically most vets are open on Saturdays, so there may be one closer.

Suppose you can call them and see what they suggest. Do NOT go to PVSEC if anyone recommends it though. It's very expensive and they're out to make as much $$$ as possible.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:22 AM

43,017 posts, read 50,400,919 times
Keep us updated!

I took in a stray that had kittens but she delivered them by herself when I wasn't home.

Via google, I found the following information:

---It can take up to two hours for each kitten to be delivered.

---Labor longer than 7 hours should go to the vet.

And the following list of possible complications:

Quote:
You should contact your veterinarian if events do not unfold as I have generally listed them. Also contact your veterinarian if:

1) The pregnancy lasts more than 66 days
2) The mother’s temperature has been below a hundred for more than one day or drops below 98F
3) The mother goes off food or becomes depressed, weak or lethargic
4) A kitten becomes lodged in the birth canal for more than ten minutes and you can not dislodge it
5) The mother continues to have contractions for more than four hours and no kitten appears
6) More than five hours elapse when you are certain another kitten is still present in the mother
7) The vaginal discharge has a strong odor or appears infected
8) You counted less placentas than you have kittens
9) Kittens will not nurse or appear weak
10) A mammary gland (breast) is hot, hard or painful
11) Kittens mew continuously, do not sleep and are agitated
12) Kittens are not receiving enough milk to keep their stomachs plump and distended
13) The Mother’s temperature is over 102.5 and two days have passed since birthing

The Stages of Feline Labor - When Your Cat Gives Birth

Old 03-17-2012, 09:24 AM

For future reference, Northview Animal Hospital is open 24 hours, 7 days a week. Google Maps -- Northview Animal Hospital

Old 03-17-2012, 09:40 AM

428 posts, read 320,217 times
Thanks for all of the advice and recommendations. I called the Cat Clinic since they were my vet eons ago when I lived here; they said to keep an eye on her and let her be unless she's in distress. She's eating and drinking, and the kitten is nursing, so I think that all are okay for now. I'm going to get some kitten chow. I'll post a picture later - the kitten is adorable!

Old 03-17-2012, 09:41 AM

7,360 posts, read 7,540,094 times
pittsburgh east animal hospital in monroeville has saturday hours and i think they might make room for you if you explain the situation. they are very rescuer friendly.

Pittsburgh East Animal Hospital

you could also take them to the arl - they have a good vet clinic. i'm not sure if the humane society does but it's worth calling to ask since they're close by. shelter vets are probably your best bet for getting in quickly and care that isn't too expensive.

edit: oh, i missed the update - awesome! it sounds like she's just having a normal labor so far. good luck!

Last edited by groar; 03-17-2012 at 09:53 AM..

Old 03-17-2012, 09:51 AM

Since you still have her and she's still in labor, read this link so you are prepared for if a kitten gets stuck in the birth canal.

The Stages of Feline Labor - When Your Cat Gives Birth

It says how long they should be there and that you should pull them out with your hand if they are there too long.

It also explains exactly how to pull them out.

It also explains how to clear their mouths so they can breath if the mother fails to do it.

I hope you have some latex gloves. If not, they said you can handle the kittens with a clean cloth.

Good luck!

Old 03-17-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
Thanks for all of the advice and recommendations. I called the Cat Clinic since they were my vet eons ago when I lived here; they said to keep an eye on her and let her be unless she's in distress. She's eating and drinking, and the kitten is nursing, so I think that all are okay for now. I'm going to get some kitten chow. I'll post a picture later - the kitten is adorable!
Oh good! I was hoping that would be the answer for now but I just have no reference at all (beyond searching I could do, and now Hopes has done).

With any luck it won't come to this, but I guess if you end up needing after hours vet later I suppose I would try Northview. I expect their service would also be expensive, but at the very least I would hope for a better overall experience than we suffered at the other emergency vet I mentioned above. I don't know how the whole VCA aspect has changed Northview, hopefully not too much for the worse. (I don't know if VCA means a big company has now bought the place or just that they are affiliated.)

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:23 AM

I have no idea what VCA means, but I haven't noticed a difference in the care since the name change.

I've been very happy with Northview, the animal hospital and the regular vet office. They even have rehab but I haven't utilized those services. I'm not afraid to discuss options with them. I always ask for alternatives. I question recommended tests. I have found that Northview is receptive to this. I'll straight up and tell them my budget limit, and Northview has always come up with a treatment plan that fits within my stated budget. I left our old vet I've been using for over 25 years because he was bull headed and insisted on tests and treatment that wasn't necessary.

Through my many years of owning pets, I've learned to ask many questions. I have opted to not do tests, and go straight for preventative treatment. Another great example is the $100 test that is required before prescribing anti-inflamatory pain medicines. They say they need to check the liver functions because the medication can be life threatening. I asked what they do if the tests determine the medication isn't appropriate. Guess what? There are safe narcotics that can be prescribed without testing! My logical response was "Then let's just give her the safe narcotics!" There are many ways you can save money at the vet by simply asking lots of questions.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I have no idea what VCA means, but I haven't noticed a difference in the care since the name change. ...
Well that's good. I thought you were familiar with Northview. Usually when VCA comes up in discussions I've seen before it's negative.

VCA is originally Veterinary Centers of America, now VCA Antech. They do in fact buy the hospitals, so the ownership has changed. It's a publicly traded company, the largest pet healthcare provider in the country.

They are continuing to actively buy up vet practices: VCA Antech

Interesting. Maybe not inherently bad, of course, and nothing to necessarily run from if you're happy. Just something to be aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh