U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-17-2012, 07:53 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,970,275 times

Advertisements

This is very interesting:

URA offers to buy Saks building Downtown - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The combination of properties they are talking about (the soon-to-be-former-Saks building plus three adjoining parcels along Fifth) could be used for a large project. I do wonder what would happen to the Park Building, however, at the corner of Fifth and Smithfield--it could be a great component of an overall project, or the project could go around it, but I would REALLY hate to see it torn down. It is an 1896 building, probably the oldest steel-frame highrise left in Pittsburgh, with a lot of its original features intact (although it had a not-so-great renovation in the 1960s), including the iconic telemones:

Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 07:59 AM
gg

11,685 posts, read 8,065,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

The combination of properties they are talking about (the soon-to-be-former-Saks building plus three adjoining parcels along Fifth) could be used for a large project. I do wonder what would happen to the Park Building, however, at the corner of Fifth and Smithfield--it could be a great component of an overall project, or the project could go around it, but I would REALLY hate to see it torn down. It is an 1896 building, probably the oldest steel-frame highrise left in Pittsburgh, with a lot of its original features intact (although it had a not-so-great renovation in the 1960s), including the iconic telemones:
Oh my goodness, I hope the Park Building is okay. What a great picture you have there. Wow. Thanks for posting that photo.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:30 AM

3,953 posts, read 3,598,523 times
I don't think they would tear down a historic 115 yr old building like that or at least I'd hope not.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:52 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I don't think they would tear down a historic 115 yr old building like that or at least I'd hope not.
Nothing would surprise me.

Genesis Places: Al Syria Mosque un opera rock che non convince

Old 03-17-2012, 09:11 AM

3,953 posts, read 3,598,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I hope we've changed since then.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:25 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I hope we've changed since then.
Nope, it is the same. Just depends on who wants the Park Building and what they need. Do they need some huge footprint? If so, it probably will be lost. You never know. Depends on who ends up with it and how much money it can create? How many jobs? The Park Building is amazing! Love that picture. I am going to have a look at that building in the next few days to have a real close inspection. There should be tours in Pittsburgh showing some of these amazing buildings. Truly there are some great treasures here.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:46 AM

8,905 posts, read 7,861,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

if these types of projects were no longer necessary, would the ura stop doing them or do they do it because they exist? small buildings downtown aren't necessarily a bad thing as they provide an avenue for small time investors to get into the act who often have better ideas. the park building is a whole other matter, it would certainly be a backwards idea to tear it down.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:02 PM

3,391 posts, read 3,145,698 times
I have been in the Park Building recently. It certainly does not appear to be a vibrant building.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:17 PM

8,905 posts, read 7,861,882 times
Quote:
The Park Building is probably the oldest surviving steel-framed building in Pittsburgh...used a Classical form (stone base, brick shaft, and ornamental cap) and elaborate Classical details, the most spectacular of which is the row of crouching male figures (called "atlantes" ...supporting the ornamental cornice at the roofline. An unfortunate remodeling during the 1960s altered the windows and their historical ornamental surrounds in the central section of the building.
Park Building - 1896

seems like the perfect building for residential conversion

Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM

2,163 posts, read 2,698,952 times
I really like the bones of the Park Bldg. But that horrific 1960s fill in kind of kills the overall look. I hope it can stay. Could PNC be looking for another expansion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh