Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 03:57 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times

Advertisements

Let's hope the upcoming TekkoshoCon (March 21-25) goes well this year at the Downtown Wyndham.

News - TekkoshoconX

Each year more participants. Last year 4,300 and it is a 5-day event. I hope Pittsburgh Comic Con grows so large that it needs the David L Lawrence.

Atlanta's MomoCon is happening right now and it has moved from Georgia Tech's campus to a downtown hotel too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 04:12 PM

268 posts, read 385,208 times
Good luck to everyone coming in for TekkoshoCon! A couple of years ago they ran a big fundraiser auction of rare collectibles to support our efforts with the Millvale Community Library, and everyone was so generous. Millvale has lots of love for you all!

Old 03-17-2012, 08:27 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Oh wow, this week? That should be fun. With the weather you're going to see these guys walking around downtown, some in costumes. I remember seeing them last year or two sometime. It's good to have repeat business from these little cons I think.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:33 PM

They are the coolest conventions what with many people dressing up. These Cons really work better in a downtown location so Pittsburgh's Comic Con ought to move from Monroeville to Downtown.

There's also Anthrocon for furry animal costuming...although, I think it ought to be costuming in general. The only think I've seen for Sci-Fi is Confluence. The "con" part fits and confluence is Pittsburgh but it doesn't sound Sci-Fi.

The specialty cons are fine but there ought to be a big Pop culture con like Atlanta does with Dragon*Con. I mean its attendance is up to 40,000. Maybe Comic-Con Pittsburgh could become that? After all. that's pretty much what Comic-Con San Diego is.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 AM

733 posts, read 986,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
They are the coolest conventions what with many people dressing up. These Cons really work better in a downtown location so Pittsburgh's Comic Con ought to move from Monroeville to Downtown.
I've never been to a convention, but as someone who enjoys watching the costumed attendees wander about downtown, I couldn't agree with you more. It definitely adds some life to the city, and I can't imagine an out-of-towner enjoying a stay in Monroeville more than one downtown. It's a win-win.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:53 PM

The Monroeville Convention Center is surrounded by surface parking lots. Really kills any vibe, especially after hours.

Monroeville Convention Center, Mall Boulevard, Monroeville, PA - Google Maps

Pittsburgh Comic Con should be at David L Lawrence with a close connection to the hotels so that the "party atmosphere" goes on way past midnight. The funny thing about Atlanta's Dragon*Con is not many people can make it to the 10 am sessions.

Leave stuff like the Plumbers and Pipefitters Convention for Monroeville.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:30 PM

97 posts, read 165,254 times
I'm a giant nerd. Huge nerd. I really dislike calling the Steel City Con a 'con.' Really, it's more of a flea market with the occaisional dabbling of art and comics. Really, it makes me sad

I go to Dragon*Con yearly and I'd LOVE to have something like that locally! For those who have been to TekkoshoCon - how much does it feel like a real nerdy con ala DragonCon, or maybe NYCC.. or perhaps some of those bigger cons down south?

Someday, when I'm rich, I'm going to totally bring Pittsburgh a con like D*C...

Old 03-19-2012, 02:35 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Pittsburgh Comic Con should be at David L Lawrence with a close connection to the hotels so that the "party atmosphere" goes on way past midnight. The funny thing about Atlanta's Dragon*Con is not many people can make it to the 10 am sessions.
The DLCC is not the easiest place to book. They run on fairly strict formulas for exhibit space vs. meeting rooms. Also it's pricey compared to many convention centers in right-to-work states. The unions have a reputation for being "difficult" that's only slightly above Chicago and Philly.

FWIW, the Hilton in Gateway Center (or whatever brand it is now) has pretty good meeting space for smaller conferences. Pretty similar to Peachtree Center in Atlanta. Maybe they were booked over those dates, leaving only Monroeville as an option?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlewis View Post
I'm a giant nerd. Huge nerd. I really dislike calling the Steel City Con a 'con.' Really, it's more of a flea market with the occaisional dabbling of art and comics. Really, it makes me sad

I go to Dragon*Con yearly and I'd LOVE to have something like that locally! For those who have been to TekkoshoCon - how much does it feel like a real nerdy con ala DragonCon, or maybe NYCC.. or perhaps some of those bigger cons down south?

Someday, when I'm rich, I'm going to totally bring Pittsburgh a con like D*C...
Exactly! But I think it could be Pittsburgh Comic Con if they'd just move it Downtown and run events late into the night. There's stuff going on at Dragon*Con at 2 am and later. If they would finally build another hotel next to the DLL (preferably 1,000 rooms with additional conference space), and link it to the DLL, it would be an awesome space for a Dragon*Con type of event. At present, Atlanta's Dragon*Con is neighboring hotels and doesn't use Atlanta's conference center.

Otherwise, if TekkoshoCon continues to grow and will add other genres like Sci-Fi, I guess it could be Pittsburgh's con. Last I've heard, Atlanta's MomoCon had over 10,000 last year while TekkoshoCon was a little over 4,000.

I think most of the participants are local but Atlanta's airport gives good access and travel from the airport to the downtown hotels is easy with our rail system.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
The DLCC is not the easiest place to book. They run on fairly strict formulas for exhibit space vs. meeting rooms. Also it's pricey compared to many convention centers in right-to-work states. The unions have a reputation for being "difficult" that's only slightly above Chicago and Philly.
Figures. Probably can't do stuff in the DLL unless "Da yoon'yun sez so" and probably closes after hours "Cuz uf yoon'yun rulz". Things can get crazy at Atlanta's Dragon*Con especially late in the night but lately the hotels have been clamping down so it's not quite as wild. Plus Dragon*Con is becoming increasingly a closed con.

Quote:
FWIW, the Hilton in Gateway Center (or whatever brand it is now) has pretty good meeting space for smaller conferences. Pretty similar to Peachtree Center in Atlanta. Maybe they were booked over those dates, leaving only Monroeville as an option?
Maybe the only way it can work out is multiple hotels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh