Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,495 times

Advertisements

I tried to catch 77c bus today, I waited for the bus for 10 minutes, then a bus came. But, the driver did not STOP! I saw there are just a few passengers on the bus and there were lots of seats, and the bus didn't look like need to fixed or something.

Is there something wrong with the driver? I'm new to Pittsburgh but I really feel like some of the bus drivers are not so dedicated to their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 06:07 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer123123 View Post
I tried to catch 77c bus today, I waited for the bus for 10 minutes, then a bus came. But, the driver did not STOP! I saw there are just a few passengers on the bus and there were lots of seats, and the bus didn't look like need to fixed or something.

Is there something wrong with the driver? I'm new to Pittsburgh but I really feel like some of the bus drivers are not so dedicated to their jobs.
Check the bus stop sign. Sometimes buses don't stop at all the "bus stops" that they pass. They usually don't not let anybody on unless it is absolutely impossible to fit another person on so I personally think that you were at the wrong stop by accident

Old 03-17-2012, 06:12 PM

Thanks. But in fact I did check the sign, 77 is the only number on the sign, and 77 is bus I was waiting for

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
Check the bus stop sign. Sometimes buses don't stop at all the "bus stops" that they pass. They usually don't not let anybody on unless it is absolutely impossible to fit another person on so I personally think that you were at the wrong stop by accident

Old 03-17-2012, 06:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Were you standing right at the sign or slightly further down the sidewalk?

Buses won't stop unless you are literally at the bus stop.

If you are the only person there, that means you need to literally stand at the sign.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:30 PM

Stood about 3 or 5 feet away from the sign, I guess it was close enough, how to make the driver think I'm "at the sign"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Were you standing right at the sign or slightly further down the sidewalk?

Buses won't stop unless you are literally at the bus stop.

If you are the only person there, that means you need to literally stand at the sign.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Stood about 3 or 5 feet away from the sign, I guess it was close enough, how to make the driver think I'm "at the sign"?
Stand literally there, within a foot from the sign poll. Wave to him as he is approaching.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:06 AM

128 posts, read 201,337 times
A few things I try to do to make sure a bus stops, especially at a stop that doesn't get much traffic, is to make eye contact with the driver, step out a bit towards the street and wave until you see that the driver has seen you. Sometimes though a driver, for some reason, doesn't see you or doesn't see you in time. I drove transit busses while in school (not here so I can't speak towards PAT drivers generally) but sometimes drivers get distracted by something else going on inside or outside and don't scan a stop. I was guilty of this occasionally at stops that ordinarily got no boarding traffic. Its easy for a driver who does the same loop day in and day out to just fall in to a routine. I doubt he did it on purpose, but it still sucks.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:49 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,306 times
Quote:
That's an understatement

Old 03-19-2012, 05:14 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
First PAT needs to update the FRIGGIN Bus Stop Signs....signs still have routes listed that havent ran in years......and the 77C is one of those routes i know it used to run right by my sisters place in Shadyside, that route was killed when the TDP went into effect....

Old 03-19-2012, 06:20 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,096 times
Not sure if it is the same here, but when I lived in Colorado (and rode the bus frequently) I had to wave both arms like I was waving down a rescue helicopter in order to get the bus to stop for me. Since it was my first time riding transit, I remember being dumbfounded the first few times the bus I was waiting for didn't stop for me, just like you are. Then someone clued me in that you have to get the driver's attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh