Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times

Advertisements

Part of the problem here is that Cranberry and suburbs/exburbs of its ilk are decidedly family-oriented. People generally move to those areas specifically for bigger houses to raise families and better schools for their kids. Commutes are longer, less time/interest in socializing after work.

You're swimming upstream. I agree that your best option is to develop friends on your own through work and individual outside activities. You're probably going to have to import friends from outside Cranberry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 08:27 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Part of the problem here is that Cranberry and suburbs/exburbs of its ilk are decidedly family-oriented. People generally move to those areas specifically for bigger houses to raise families and better schools for their kids. Commutes are longer, less time/interest in socializing after work.

You're swimming upstream. I agree that your best option is to develop friends on your own through work and individual outside activities. You're probably going to have to import friends from outside Cranberry.
Other options include heading into town, specifically some of the East End neighborhoods that will cater to your "type". There are plenty of them, I assure you.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:35 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,304 times
Pittsburgh Young Professionals - Event Calendar
Pittsburgh Young Professionals events

Old 03-20-2012, 09:13 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
If you're not into sports, I suggest joining a community theater group or a choir. Usually the people who belong to those groups are very sociable. Toastmasters is another organization that a lot of couples join together.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:09 PM

321 posts, read 861,162 times
Common interest/activity is key. I'm very socially awkward and not naturally social. I was a loner throughout most of school. Now I have more friends than I ever have time to keep up with, thanks to one specific activity that I'm passionate about. That said, I would be very lonely outside of a major city proper. People that are into such niche interests tend to live in major cities, not suburbs nor small towns. Up until a certain age. Then they move out to the suburbs to raise a family and we never hear from them again. On that note, I agree that you'll probably have to look into more active, younger neighborhoods like the East End, because most people in places like Cranberry are too busy raising their family to want to take the time out to make new friends. These are the people I used to know before they had kids and disappeared into the abyss...I mean the suburbs.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
If you go to church, look for a church with a young adults group.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,343 times
My husband and I are in the same boat. We have also lived here since 2009 and do not have kids yet. We go to events all over the city, rarely eat at the same restaurant once, go to church, hit up as many local beer places as possible, ride our bikes all over the city most nice weekends , and are members of venture outdoors. And yet we still have very few friends in this area. We both had many friends growing up and in college and it is super bothersome to us that we have lived here almost 3 years and are unable to form real relationships with people. We're beginning to wondering if something is wrong with us.. Finding friends all of a sudden feels like dating again and it's a little bit ridiculous. So... Sorry that was not much help, just wanted to let you know we can relate. Let me know if you have any luck!

Old 04-13-2012, 02:04 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
like everyone has said... Meetup.com

Old 04-13-2012, 03:21 PM

104 posts, read 164,716 times
I think volunteering and doing community service work for non profits you personally think have good causes is a good idea, something you can do together to get out and get to know people who are good, with good hearts and intentions.

You can volunteer not with the intention of meeting so much as to make a difference and allow relationships to form.

Why not help build a home through Habitat for Humanity?
Habitat for Humanity

Do a charity walk
Charity Rides, Walks & Runs in Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania

Maybe get involved with Give Kids the World
Welcome to Give Kids The World

I could sit here and come up with lists of ways to help the community. I think if you get involved with things like this, you'll do good deeds and also meet worthwhile people in the interim.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:15 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,217 times
A way that the oldsters met and formed friends was thru joining clubs. The local ethnic clubs, Elks, Lions, American Legion, etc is a great way to meet other couples. We are a middle aged couple, but are in the same general area. I know what you mean tho. I'm from south of Pittsburgh, and moved north to marry. So, finding new friends up here is a chore.

Go to the Cranberry Municipal Bldg, and post on their bulletin board, just be careful how you language it, or it'll be mis-read like the other poster who suggested a 'swingers club'. There's activities in Cranberry, just go to the Municipal Bldg and check things out. Or check out the other local clubs. If you live in Cranberry, you may have neighbors in the same boat. Get to know your neighbors, knock on their doors and find out if they'd be interested in a block party. Cranberry is constantly growing, with new people daily moving in. And alot of them in the same boat. There is a local Cranberry newspaper, so talk with the editor, they may find it worthy to write an article about it. I know you're not so new there, but from what I recall, there is a Welcome Wagon in Cranberry. Call them, they can give you some tips, also. And yes, you're not church goers, but church really is a great way to meet people, and there's a pretty large and socially active church in Cranberry.

blessings, Shen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh