Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 02:29 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Well, Sears moved from the Sears Tower in Chicago to some suburban pasture called Hoffman Estates, Illiniois, and the Loop survived. JC Penney moved from Manhattan to Plano, Texas and the Big Apple is still there. I think downtown Pittsburgh will survive, too.
Chicago and New York can take the hits better than Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 02:42 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
This is awful.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:17 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Every major CBD experiences churn as some businesses leave and others arrive or expand.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:49 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
I don't really find it to be awful yet. If it was US Steel moving to Indiana or something (the biggest plant is in Indiana I think) that would be different. They don't appear to be looking to leave the area. I don't have this sort of within the city vs suburbs hangup that some have, and neither do they. This sort of move would not dissociate US Steel and Pittsburgh one bit. It would, however, create a significant Class A office space vacancy, so don't look for too much new building of Class A office if it happens.

Bonus: maybe people will soon be correct when they call it the "UPMC Building".

Old 03-23-2012, 04:08 PM

450K sqft is a good chunk of space, but we're also talking 5 years from now--the way things have been going, it may not be that hard to absorb.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:55 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
I think it's going to be hard for pittsburgh's cbd (aka downtown) to grow substantially. it's already has the fifth highest job density in the country (which is why another poster remarked that it had more of a "downtown culture" than cleveland) and only 3 cities have set themselves apart. NY..............San Francisco...Boston. Places like atlanta don't have a lot of job density in their cbd. that said, there are a lot of questions surrounding us steel. is it shrinking? will it even be an independent company in 5 years? I think if you want to draw philly comparisons, pnc is the pittsburgh comcast, not us steel...which might be more like GSK, which decided to stay in the city of Philadelphia, albeit in a more suburban like setting (navy yard) in a MUCH reduced footprint due to layoffs. of course, it would be better for downtown if they stayed, or even opted for the strip or north shore. probably better for the company as well.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:17 AM

Offhand I don't know what US Steel still does in their HQ, so I don't know if they really need to be Downtown still. Back in the day, big companies like that did so much in-house in terms of professional services and such that it might make economic sense to have their HQ in a large CBD. Now, though, they often contract out most of that work, so it can make more sense to have their HQ out in the sticks where rents are cheaper. But there are also issues of executive culture, marketing, and so on--all of which I have no particular insight into when it comes to this company.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 AM

perhaps they have a cultural problem upper mgmt thinks can.be solved by a campus setting. its amazing how susceptible these people are to ideas like that. is there really a significant cost advantage that would affect the bottom line? doubtful. where does the ceo live?

Old 03-24-2012, 09:09 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,052 times
I talked to a friend of mine, who will remain anonymous, but she had a bit more insight because of her current job. She basically said that as it stands now, they're very much leaning toward a campus setting and the land in Findlay Township is attractive for that. This is basically one of those things that this is the first way of announcing it as a "possibility" only for it to definitely come true. Think about it...if their lease expires in 2017, they will need to get moving on a new facility quicker than you may think. They'll need to secure the land for one, and if they're building a massive campus from the ground up, that will take time. I predict that we'll see more solidarity in an announcement not too far off.

With that being said, rumor has it that UPMC has already taken additional floors in the building from a law firm that wanted those floors! I also recall hearing that once they reach their predicted potential in the building, UPMC could have a 1 million square foot space. If that is indeed true, USS leaving the tower won't even be noticed and could already be more of a done deal than we realize...since UPMC is basically taking over the world, why not start by taking over an iconic tower in Downtown!

My post could all be smoke and mirrors, but we shall see. I don't want to see USS leave Downtown, but I don't think it would really be noticeable considering that Downtown is basically bursting at the seams, occupancy wise.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:16 AM

perhaps the ura should be trying to find land in the city (not downtown) with which to entice them instead of playing around with saks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh