Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 03:33 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times

Advertisements

I certainly think Pittsburgh's topography is beautiful and contributes to the character of the city. I just wish downtown didn't feel so walled off.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:35 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Baltimore actually has some topographical interest... it's nothing like Pittsburgh of course. I'm surprised alleghenyangel singled out Pittsburgh's unique topography as a negative. While the turbulent topography does present challenges... Pittsburgh would not be Pittsburgh without its relentless hills. The topography defines the character of the city.
Supposedly hilly terrain breaks up a city's continuity. I imagine Baltimore's doesn't introduce those challenges. I thought those distinct differences are what people loved about Pittsburgh.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:38 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I certainly think Pittsburgh's topography is beautiful and contributes to the character of the city. I just wish downtown didn't feel so walled off.
That's probably solvable in time. Capping as much of 579 as possible could be a start.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:41 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Thing is, if enough people like you move into some of these "****holes," then they won't be ****holes anymore.
Well, what are you all waiting for? I've been in Stowe / McKees Rocks for three years. I don't see y'all moving in and making it paradise yet. Lol. Then again, I think that's what I like about it. No pretense.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:47 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times
Quote:
Show me where you can buy a liveable 30k house easily walkable to downtown (not using the bus or incline). My main frustration with Pittsburgh is I can't afford downtown. Believe it or not, I have been thinking about moving to cities like Erie or York, where I could own a home downtown.
$30k for a livable house within a short walk from downtown? I think that's an unrealistic criterion for literally any major American metro area. Pittsburgh gets closer than virtually any city with over 2 million metro population in this respect.

You would have to move to a place like Erie or York to find that. And for me, the tradeoffs between access to a core business district (that is probably actually not as active, open as late, or as convenient as an affordable secondary business district like Bloomfield anyway) wouldn't be worth it. Obviously we have different priorities, though.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:03 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,853 times
I do agree that Downtown Pittsburgh has an unfortunate "walled-off" character which impedes its after-hours vitality. It's surrounded by rivers on three sides... and the Crosstown Boulevard moat to the east (the one "wall" that could have been prevented). Additionally, most downtown-adjacent neighborhoods have been underpopulated and blighted for a couple generations now. This is why it is so critical that the Lower Hill redevelopment is done right... and that Buncher doesn't bungle its Strip District development. Uptown, Hill District and Strip District represent the critical urban fabric tying Downtown together with the East End. Those three neighborhoods hold great potential... and their successful development would go a long way toward improving functionality and energizing the city.

Additionally, it is important for smart development to take hold on the North Shore and the Station Square area... which can represent an "extended Downtown" connected on both sides by the LRT. The much-maligned North Shore Connector should be a catalyst for high-value development (although a 2-story Toby Keith development proposal suggests the myopic Continental/Steelers consortium are squandering the opportunity).

Old 03-25-2012, 04:06 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Capping as much of 579 as possible
Not following the lingo, sorry. "Capping" is building over the top of the roadway, right? But doesn't 579 fly over city streets already?

Old 03-25-2012, 04:29 PM

716 posts, read 765,061 times
Quote:
I definitely understand what you mean by downtown "walled off," but I feel like if it weren't for the topographical challenges that face downtown, would we have a cbd that is so dense? Its denisity is derived from its compactness, which is a result of the topography. If we didn't have the rivers and hills, would there really be a need for our skyscrapers and dense urban fabric? I mean if Pittsburgh had a boundless flat landscape for expansion, we'd have a downtown like Cleveland or Columbus or something. I do see your point though for a need for more diverse housing surrounding downtown, and as projects in the strip, north side, lower hill and uptown start to take off, I really hope that happens.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:00 PM

802 posts, read 1,320,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luabear View Post
Your message made me very worried for you. It seems like you are a very unhappy person with a lot of problems. Please seek psychological help. People this unhappy in one city are unhappy in every city. I hope you are able to seek the help you need to be happy in your life. Pittsburgh is not your problem...

I get the same impression. The OP will not be happy anywhere. It seems as if they think of everything in a negative manner.

Sure Pittsburgh has problems, but so does NYC, so does Philly and just about every major city.

Please seek professional help.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:09 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,052 times
I literally LOL'ed at the OP's post. All I can say is, if you think the grass is SO much greener elsewhere, give it a shot. I would put money down on the fact that your unhappiness is much deeper than simply a geographical location.

I have visited numerous cities in the country. I have friends scattered throughout the country. Routinely, I hear nothing but praise from visitors. Just Friday night, a friend and I went Downtown for a little outdoor concert at the new Village Park at PPU. It was awesome. Then, we walked across the Smithfield Street Bridge for dinner outside at Station Square. Both of us were like school kids just enjoying the weather and the beauty of the city at night. Everything seemed very alive this past Friday night with the warmth and everyone out and about. My friend from Buffalo is constantly jealous of everything going on in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is NOT perfect, trust me, but, it is a lot better than many other American cities out there today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh