Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:38 AM

56 posts, read 99,655 times

Advertisements

I think victorian typically means gingerbready and fancy to most people, but to others it can just mean "old home." I always thought I wanted "victorian" but came to find myself in an awesome craftsman bungalow which felt more homey and less fussy then the houses I would call victorian that we looked at. Whatever your specific tastes there are tons of old houses in the area.

Crafton Ingram has a lot of fancy true Victorian styles though I know nothing about the schools or whatever (I'm assuming schools will matter to a mum of 3?)

When we first moved back to Pittsburgh my mother sent me so many real estate links I had to eventually mark her address as spam. She knows I liked old houses so she kept sending me links to the most outrageous ones she could find and she found a LOT in Crafton Ingram. One of them was a historic landmark... with 4 kids I don't see myself moving into anything so noteworthy. My kids are demons but they are KIDS. I showed the link to a friend of mine and she said "Wow, that would be like living in a doll house... one of those super fancy ones that isn't any fun to play with!!!"

Anyway. That's a place to look.

Oakmont has come up - the homes will cost way less than that budget there but there are some dreamy ones and schools are good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 05:24 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,775,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinzerMama View Post
I think victorian typically means gingerbready and fancy to most people, but to others it can just mean "old home."

Well, I will generally assume that a poster knows what he/she is talking about until they indicate otherwise. Some of the post Victorian styles are very nice, but if I'm looking for a Victorian, a Tudor just won't do. Too often a poster will express interest in a very specific type of neighborhood, but the responses they get are all trying to sell him on the areas that the responders like. A guy will ask about suburban areas, and there are ten posters trying to tell him he should buy a rowhouse in Bloomfield. Conversely, another poster will express interest in a dense urban neighborhood, and he gets 10 pages of people telling him he should move to some cul de sac filled burb.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:00 PM

56 posts, read 99,655 times
I'm not saying the OP was wrong - just saying why others are tossing out what they are tossing out, as well as relating my own experience that Pittsburgh has tons of old houses and you may well find a gem that isn't the exact style you thought you always wanted. So maybe don't discount the suggestions because they're not strictly "victorian."

SO many lovely old homes in Pittsburgh... So many nice neighborhoods...

Last edited by YinzerMama; 03-26-2012 at 07:09 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 05:04 PM

11 posts, read 18,680 times
Thank you everyone! I am going to be going down to Pittsburgh this weekend and checking out the area! You all have really helped!!!!!

Old 03-28-2012, 05:30 PM

I have found some great charming homes in Sewickle (only online though). In my search i have come across fox chapel a number of times what is that like?? Also to answer some of the question I do have 1 child still in the public school system and I would really like to keep her in public schools. I have a question about Shadyside, how far is University of Pittsburgh from there? It seems pretty close from what I hear. I just have a few questions about University of Pittsburgh because this is were my daughter plans to go to school. Is it dangerous? I have had one family tell me it is very dangerous, while everyone else raves about it. Also is University of Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh? I was told that it was not but all the adresses say Pittsburgh (I heard it was in Oakland Pa?? Not sure how reliable this is). Thnaks!

Old 03-28-2012, 05:39 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,536,533 times
University of Pittsburgh (known as Pitt) is Oakland which (like Shadyside) is a neighborhood within the city. It is not dangerous.

Most (but not all) of Fox Chapel Borough proper is not very walkable to much. A significant portion of the houses are large estates and thus far apart, etc. But, next-door Aspinwall is considered to be in the Fox Chapel area (and is also in its school district) and has a little town. There just aren't really as many shops and such as Sewickley has. But it is notably closer to the city than Sewickley.

Shadyside isn't a particularly great choice for keeping your daughter in public schools. The Sewickley area and Fox Chapel area have good schools. (Sewickley area is called Quaker Valley school district. Fox Chapel is just Fox Chapel Area school district.)

Old 03-29-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
Oakmont is great, and definitely has some Victorian houses. I guess I'm a bit put off by the OP's price range, though, as that's a very substantial price range for Pittsburgh. I wonder if the OP has done their homework on prices in this area. I mean, $700-950K in Pittsburgh could buy you a block of Victorian homes.
I have and have found some darling homes in the price range that I will be taking a look at soon. I am looking for larger victorian homes around 3,000 sqft+ and I seem to be finding that easily in Sewickley.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:19 PM

17 posts, read 17,236 times
Have you looked in Oakmont? Very walkable, wonderful village shops and some great housing stock, including a new planned development by the river. There are some homes for sale up on the hill near Oakmont Golf Club (yes, THE Oakmont Golf Club) that might fit your needs and budget. As others have said, your money goes a lot farther here.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:25 PM

42 posts, read 69,068 times
Yes the University of Pittsburgh is in Oakland, which is right next to Shadyside. If you want victorian homes with a nice school Aspinwall, Sewickley, and Oakmont are your best options. Out of those I would definitely recommend Sewickley, It's a beautiful town, has a great school district, right on the river, a reasonable commute, very low crime rate (like most Pittsburgh suburbs), It's just a great place.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:07 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,481,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
University of Pittsburgh (known as Pitt) is Oakland which (like Shadyside) is a neighborhood within the city. It is not dangerous.

Most (but not all) of Fox Chapel Borough proper is not very walkable to much. A significant portion of the houses are large estates and thus far apart, etc. But, next-door Aspinwall is considered to be in the Fox Chapel area (and is also in its school district) and has a little town. There just aren't really as many shops and such as Sewickley has. But it is notably closer to the city than Sewickley.

Shadyside isn't a particularly great choice for keeping your daughter in public schools. The Sewickley area and Fox Chapel area have good schools. (Sewickley area is called Quaker Valley school district. Fox Chapel is just Fox Chapel Area school district.)
Fox Chapel really doesn't have that many estates. Big houses yes, but not estates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh