Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
How revealing.
Jeez, can't people have a little fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Not compatible at all.
Did I say that? I said, "you decide".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Jeez, can't people have a little fun?
Sure, doesn't change the fact that Omaha's climate, however sucky, is quite different from Pittsburgh's. It's an interior climate--much dryer and far more prone to temperature extremes. Pittsburgh's climate is close enough to be moderated by the coast. That's why even though winters can be cold and summers can be hot, they're very rarely freezing/sweltering. Omaha isn't so fortunate.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:24 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Let's ask Busta Rhymes how Pittsburgh ranks!

He says, "Gimme some mo'!"

Old 03-27-2012, 10:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Sure, doesn't change the fact that Omaha's climate, however sucky, is quite different from Pittsburgh's. It's an interior climate--much dryer and far more prone to temperature extremes. Pittsburgh's climate is close enough to be moderated by the coast. That's why even though winters can be cold and summers can be hot, they're very rarely freezing/sweltering. Omaha isn't so fortunate.
Oh, lighten up! I said "you decide". You obviously decided.

BTW, the average high in July in Pittsburgh is 82.6. In Omaha it is 86.5.

The average low in January in Pittsburgh is 18.5 In Omaha it is 11.2.

Both of these January numbers are below freezing. I'd be interested in any data you have that it is rarely freezing in Pittsburgh. As for rarely sweltering, I beg to differ. The summer humidities are bascially the same.

Climate Information for Pittsburgh*-*Pennsylvania*-*Mid-Atlantic*-*United States*-*Climate Zone
121 days below freezing
Climate Information for Omaha (north)*-*Nebraska*-*Great Plains*-*United States*-*Climate Zone
137 days below freezing.

Average rainfall, Omaha: 31.2 in; Pittsburgh 36.9 in. So much for "much drier".

Old 03-27-2012, 10:57 PM

80 posts, read 111,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Other than that I don't see any other cities in the country that really resemble Pittsburgh other than perhaps Buffalo but only to a limited degree.
Great point. Whenever discussing Pittsburgh with people in foreign countries, I always bring up Pittsburgh's unique and quirky vibe (whether you like it or not) that isn't really available in many other cities.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, lighten up! I said "you decide". You obviously decided.

BTW, the average high in July in Pittsburgh is 82.6. In Omaha it is 86.5.

The average low in January in Pittsburgh is 18.5 In Omaha it is 11.2.

Both of these January numbers are below freezing. I'd be interested in any data you have that it is rarely freezing in Pittsburgh. As for rarely sweltering, I beg to differ. The summer humidities are bascially the same.

Climate Information for Pittsburgh*-*Pennsylvania*-*Mid-Atlantic*-*United States*-*Climate Zone
121 days below freezing
Climate Information for Omaha (north)*-*Nebraska*-*Great Plains*-*United States*-*Climate Zone
137 days below freezing.

Average rainfall, Omaha: 31.2 in; Pittsburgh 36.9 in. So much for "much drier".
5-7 degrees is a sizeable difference, especially with wind chill. And check yo temperature extremes. Omaha has twice as many 90+ degree days. I also meant freezing in the colloquial sense. Pittsburgh very rarely dips below zero. Not so with Omaha. The city is much drier as well. 5 inches may not seem like a lot, but Omaha has 1/3 fewer rainy days.

Dat ocean, man.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:26 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
How did this turn into an Omaha v. Pittsburgh comparison of all things? Omaha's "peer cities" are places like Wichita, Fargo and Butte.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
How did this turn into an Omaha v. Pittsburgh comparison of all things? Omaha's "peer cities" are places like Wichita, Fargo and Butte.
I've never been to Omaha. I just know how to read/interpret climactic data tables.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
So untrue! Omaha is a much larger city than the others you listed, except for Wichita. Butte is only around 30k population (a beautiful city, but NOTHING like Omaha!!).

Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
...well one thing's for sure, we don't want this to become a discussion of Pitt vs. Butte. That'll bring out too many body odor jokes for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh