U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2012, 05:27 AM

11,093 posts, read 7,194,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I'm going to assume you meant passing on the right, because passing her on the left would've required passing on the shoulder. I think that one can get you cited for "reckless driving".

It could be argued though, that she wasn't in the wrong:
Yeah, I meant right. Working too much right now to be honest. I don't like those idiots that ride in the left lane and think, I am going 8 mph or whatever over the speed limit and am going to stay in the left lane. Then 5 other idiots with their jaw slightly open and a look of a zombie will follow that person. I want to go 10 mph over the speed limit and am stuck behind this string of idiots. I have to wait for a big enough break in the right lane for me to pass some of them and hopefully all. If I can't get around them all, I have to cut in on someone. Of course they all drive 2 feet apart and try not to let me in because they are king of the road or whatever. I get in one way or the other. Here is an idea. MOVE OVER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 05:40 AM

711 posts, read 521,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
I do wish I could hear them whine about the price of gas though. Such sweet music.
Yea, well, when some contractor comes to your place to work on something, I hope he doubles your bill to pay for the gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
SUV's and pickups can't maneuver, so they rarely pass on the right. Too dangerous. Cars can maneuver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
The nicest way I can respond to that is to say that's not the dumbest thing I've ever seen you post.
Ditchdigger is nicer then I am. That may be the dumbest thing I've seen you post.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:37 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,269,539 times
I witnessed two very illegal dangerous moves last night on my way home. A Mazda 3 (which just made me chuckle due to the number of folks on here who own them -- I hope none of you was this guy) coming off of the ramp from the Liberty tunnels/bridge onto Arlington (I think that's the road) on the South Side, did a total U-turn to get onto the ramp to go back up to the tunnel/bridge and nearly hit me as I was turning since I had a green right arrow to make the right turn onto that ramp.

Then, as I'm sitting at the light at the top of that ramp waiting to turn left into the Liberty Tunnels, some chick in an old brown sedan of some sort decided that she was going to make a left across the traffic coming out of the tunnel to go down the ramp towards the South Side. That was the one of the most scary and stupid things I have ever witnessed. I was sure I was going to see someone die in front of me. She made it though. Don't know how because it's not like she could really see what was coming and people fly out the tunnels when the light is green.

Anyway, the stupid do drive all kinds of vehicles.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:40 AM

11,093 posts, read 7,194,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Ditchdigger is nicer then I am. That may be the dumbest thing I've seen you post.
So you feel a pickup or SUV can maneuver as well as a car? You DO have to drive them differently than cars. I drive pickups sometimes for work. I don't drive it the same as my European Sports Sedan. I leave more room, anticipate curves so I take them much slower than a car. I drive slower in the rain because they don't have good weight distribution over the tires. Dumb? Good luck convincing me people can or should drive SUV's and trucks the same as a good car. If you drive one, don't try and keep up with me on an off-ramp. You will be flipping over in a NY second.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:09 AM

711 posts, read 521,764 times
I didn't say they can't maneuver. I said I thought it was dumb for you to say "SUV's and pickups can't maneuver, so they rarely pass on the right. Too dangerous."
They can maneuver and can pass on the right.

BTW, I know how to drive cars and trucks. My day-to-day vehicle is a truck. Yea, I don't drive it the same as our Audi A6, but I think what's coming out of this thread is that the issue is not the vehicles as much as those driving them (sometimes beyond their capabilities).

Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 AM

1,552 posts, read 1,336,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Trucks have a purpose. The economy doesn't function without them. Doesn't mean we need more huge things on the highways.

The inability to scan traffic far in front of one's own car has been proven to be a more significant factor in accidents than road conditions or weather. Even with a 1 car length per 10 mph speed convention, large SUVs block uproad vision in many normal conditions. So the less huge behemoths on the road, the safer it is for everyone. Simple math. Not that you'd care about anyone else.
Quote:
Not that you'd care about anyone else.
Yeah. Amen. Gave that foolishness up a loooooong time ago. Let the self-sacrificing twits and religious zealots endeavor to save the world from itself. I'll just quietly go about my personal business.

Regarding vehicles, I've already told you: If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. If you want to run around in a tinny rollerskate subcompact, you do so at your own risk. It's your personal choice. There is no use whining and complaining to all the other people about how your don't like it that their choice of (large vehicles) interferes with you and your roller skate. You made your choice. You are, post after post, spewing emotional arguments that just boil down to "I don't like what some other people choose to buy and drive." But it's their prerogative to buy and drive what they choose and can afford, whether or not you approve.

Being behind the wheel of either of my behemoths gives me a much better view of the road than sitting down low on the floor of a small car or a GM car with the deeply dished seats that you sink down into. It also gives me solid construction, a frame (not a bendy unibody), greater durability, greater longevity, less annual depreciation, better resale value, lower maintenance costs, less-frequent repairs. That is particularly true of the GM diesel: You can run them forever, and a HD diesel retains value and utility better than lots of other things I could have chosen for the same amount of dollars. My vehicles are paid for in full on the day that I drive them off the lot, so fuel costs are rather immaterial to me.

Dear sskink, I didn't choose the vehicles that I own and drive without weighing all of the pros and cons of it, financial and otherwise. I selected and bought what was practical, affordable, and desirable. For me. Only. I don't have to save the world. If I want to save fuel, I can simply plan my trips, drive less, move closer to the workplace, rent a more fuel-efficient vehicle for an occasion that it makes sense to do so, and keep my vehicles tuned and running efficiently.

>>> IF you don't like having your safety compromised by driving a small vehicle, go get a large one. It's just that simple.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:51 AM

9,879 posts, read 9,223,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
IF you don't like having your safety compromised by driving a small vehicle, go get a large one. It's just that simple.
Not really. My safety is compromised by large vehicles regardless of what I drive, as I mentioned upthread.

That said, while we can rant generalities about people who drive certain types of large vehicles, there's no getting around their existence. They're not going away. So we have to deal with them.

IMO, even considering the view aspect, I am safer in a vehicle that has better handling for emergency maneuvers. This typically is not a tall, heavy, truck-based vehicle.

Even in a crash, the sheer mass is only a part of what keeps you safe anyway. It's typically of most importance in a head-on crash, which is only a small portion of all crashes. Mainly, though, I prefer not to treat a crash as inevitable. It's certainly not inevitable if I have a better chance at avoiding it.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:18 AM

8,194 posts, read 7,189,955 times
I think we can all agree that teaching people how to drive correctly is a lost art. I took Driver's Ed back in high school which I believe helped quite a bit. Too many people just don't know the "rules of the road" these days. Couple that with some that feel entitled, kids that think driving is like a video game, and guys like Priester just spoiling for a fight , and we got trouble, right here in River City.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:53 AM

4,337 posts, read 2,920,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I think we can all agree that teaching people how to drive correctly is a lost art. I took Driver's Ed back in high school which I believe helped quite a bit. Too many people just don't know the "rules of the road" these days. Couple that with some that feel entitled, kids that think driving is like a video game, and guys like Priester just spoiling for a fight , and we got trouble, right here in River City.
I too took driver's ed in high school and I grew up in the hey day of Grand Theft Auto. Never have been in an accident, never got a ticket (not even a parking ticket), don't road rage, and I've successfully driven in 9 different countries. I do believe that driver's ed helped me out a lot, but in the end it's all up to the individual whether or not they want to be good drivers.

Too bad good drivers have to deal with morons, or dudes that brag about how much of a road rager they are.

Last edited by Aqua Teen Carl; 03-29-2012 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-29-2012, 08:53 PM

26,087 posts, read 45,317,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
A Mazda 3 (which just made me chuckle due to the number of folks on here who own them -- I hope none of you was this guy).
I formerly drove a Mazda3 before yet another horrible Honda Pilot driver totaled it. Now I drive a Honda Civic Hybrid, which I dislike very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh