U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-26-2012, 02:48 PM

531 posts, read 345,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
I prefer smaller cars and right now, I have an Altima. When I'm parked between 2 large vehicles, it's nearly impossible to see any traffic coming when I'm trying to slowly inch out of my space.
I can't count the number of times I've nearly been creamed by somebody zooming down the row and I couldn't see them because of the SUV and truck I was parked between.

Whatever people choose to drive, it is their choice, for whatever reason. I just don't like SUVs and larger cars personally, I feel more in control when driving something smaller. Plus, my environmental conscience nags at me, so I go smaller.
IMHO, the true issue is the people zooming down the row in the parking lot.

You still probably can't see through mini-vans or vehicles with tinted windows.

I drive a truck because I need a truck. We have the same visibility issues (and then some) since our size dictates that we need to watch all our sides closely to avoid hitting anything or anyone. Kids are really hard to see so backing out is always at a crawl speed. For this reason, I'm normally the truck sitting out there in the middle of nowhere in a parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-26-2012, 02:52 PM

840 posts, read 300,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
IMHO, the true issue is the people zooming down the row in the parking lot.

You still probably can't see through mini-vans or vehicles with tinted windows.
It's really a combination of the two. But the tinted windows of the bigger vehicles aren't really the problem... my car sits a lot lower. Most of the time, it's their doors I'm looking at from my window.

Unread 03-26-2012, 06:20 PM

1,992 posts, read 1,700,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Tell that to all the proud SUV owners I know who live in Lawrenceville, East Liberty, etc.
1) Other than the above quote, and one reference to the Ft Pitt Tunnel, what's this thread have to do with Pittsburgh?

2) As I've said elsewhere, I drive a 4X4 duallie pickup, with a full sized bed and extended cab, because it's appropriate for my work needs. I'm sure you'll all be happy to know that I routinely, voluntarily, park ten or twelve spaces away from the next nearest vehicle, because one, it's long enough that it'd stick too far out in back if I were nose to nose with somebody else, and two, because that way I don't have to work at squeezing in and out of a space.

Unread 03-26-2012, 06:24 PM

2,805 posts, read 1,116,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
we all buy more then we need in some aspects of our lives and if some people choose vehicles as their avenue of wasting money, while it may be financially foolish, I don't see why I should care 1 iota that they don't necessarily need it.
I own a convertible, should I likewise feel ashamed of the excess I spent above what a similar car would have cost me, or is the stigma only attached to SUVs for some reason & not other areas of people's lives.
My comment wasn't meant to be taken literally as we should all be ascetics.

A bespoke suit is "needed" in certain business climates. A better address, a nice car, similarly. I choose to spend my money on better food, you chose a convertible. Somebody else chooses a Steelers jersey and a seat license.

As long as these things are not produced by sweatshops, I don't have an issue. You're not causing issues with your neighbors.

But none of these things is an overgrown SUV that doesn't take into account everyone else on the road. They block other drivers vision, there is no efficiency of any sort and no true reason for their existence other than to fulfill someone's self-aggrandization. Not practical, not useful, not neighbor-friendly. It's simply selfish on a grand scale.

The above does not apply to commercial vehicles that actually have a working purpose.

Unread 03-26-2012, 07:03 PM

7,959 posts, read 6,355,102 times
I work for myself, when times are good I drink a great draft, when slow, it's MGD on tap at The LakeSide Inn.

Unread 03-26-2012, 07:32 PM

5,420 posts, read 3,103,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
But none of these things is an overgrown SUV that doesn't take into account everyone else on the road.
That all depends on the driver, broheim.

Quote:
They block other drivers vision, there is no efficiency of any sort and no true reason for their existence other than to fulfill someone's self-aggrandization. Not practical, not useful, not neighbor-friendly. It's simply selfish on a grand scale.

The above does not apply to commercial vehicles that actually have a working purpose.
Self-aggrandization? Try a safe, stylish car with an ample amount of cargo space. I don't care if you think it's impractical, or useless, or "not neighbor-friendly." It's my money and I'll spend it as I see fit. I drive extremely conscientiously, so I have nothing to apologize for. Whoever helped fuel your pet peeve against SUVs, it wasn't me and the countless other responsible SUV drivers out there.

By the way, the one time I did get into an accident (through no fault of my own; I was side-swiped by a drunk pick-up truck driver in upstate NY), I can credit my car with not only saving my life, but enabling me to emerge without a scratch. Had I driven a sedan, I'd be dead.

Unread 03-26-2012, 07:33 PM

531 posts, read 345,369 times
Quote:
But none of these things is an overgrown SUV that doesn't take into account everyone else on the road. They block other drivers vision, there is no efficiency of any sort and no true reason for their existence other than to fulfill someone's self-aggrandization. Not practical, not useful, not neighbor-friendly. It's simply selfish on a grand scale.
Damn, I'd bet you would put the entire RV industry out of business.

Unread 03-26-2012, 08:10 PM

7,959 posts, read 6,355,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
It's my money and I'll spend it as I see fit. I drive extremely conscientiously, so I have nothing to apologize for. Whoever helped fuel your pet peeve against SUVs, it wasn't me and the countless other responsible SUV drivers out there.
WooHoo!!!

Love it, more power to you.

Unread 03-26-2012, 08:36 PM

25,459 posts, read 42,438,052 times
Escalade drivers don't irk me nearly as much as Honda Pilot drivers do. If they're not running red lights and plowing into my car they're running stop signs and nearly plowing over my rental car just days later (true story). Whenever I see a Honda Pilot nearby anymore I get extremely anxious, fearing it's somehow going to kill me!

Unread 03-26-2012, 09:06 PM

2,805 posts, read 1,116,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Damn, I'd bet you would put the entire RV industry out of business.
Nah. I wouldn't put anyone out of their home. Besides, I've seen "Lost In America" too many times.

But, if you're behind one going 10 mph uphill on the Cabot Hwy at the northern tip of Nova Scotia... I can understand the hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh