Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 6,171 times

Advertisements

My family has recently relocated to Canonsburg, Pa. I am a stay at home mom and have 3 daughters (ages 5, 3 & 2yrs). I am having a hard time finding things to do in the area. I am looking for information on the school district (Canon Mac), any Moms clubs, kids activities, bouncey house places, amusement parks, Easter egg hunts, libraries, garden centers, playgrounds/parks, festivals, pools, sports (dance, gymnastics, cheerleading, soccer, etc) anything that would be fun for our family. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 AM

22,226 posts, read 47,150,952 times
Googling Canonsburg PA got me this... among others:

Borough of Canonsburg

Old 03-28-2012, 10:26 AM

56 posts, read 99,614 times
There is a railroad and trolley museum in washington.

Home

I like to go to Ikea and stick the kids in childcare and then wander and fondle the furniture. Kids love it, it's free, but they do have to be potty trained. (It's nearish you I think - I don't love it so much that I suggest it to anyone new to town... it's just near you)

If you need shoes there is a stride rite outlet in Washington. Love the stride rite outlet.

Not very helpful otherwise, sorry. One of these days we are going to hit up the trolley museum.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:41 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,880,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphenneger View Post
My family has recently relocated to Canonsburg, Pa. I am a stay at home mom and have 3 daughters (ages 5, 3 & 2yrs). I am having a hard time finding things to do in the area. I am looking for information on the school district (Canon Mac), any Moms clubs, kids activities, bouncey house places, amusement parks, Easter egg hunts, libraries, garden centers, playgrounds/parks, festivals, pools, sports (dance, gymnastics, cheerleading, soccer, etc) anything that would be fun for our family. Thanks in advance
Welcome to western PA! Cannon Mac is a great school district first of all. Cannonsburg is a nice, older town along the 79/19 corridor surrounded by North Strabane and Cecil Townships. Both of those are exploding with new suburban growth (strip malls, cookie-cutter neighborhoods). The nearest amusement park would most likely be Kennywood, which is a bit of a drive in West Mifflin. Most of that other stuff you will have an easy time finding, Cannon-Mac has lots and lots of families.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:56 AM

9 posts, read 17,948 times
As a 32 DINK in Canonsburg...I'm not up on all the kid-friendly activities...but I'll try my best to help.

Here's the SD's website: Canon-McMillan School District

They laud themselves as a Blue Ribbon School District...so I guess that's good.

The closest amusement park would be Pittsburgh's historic Kennywood Park, located in West Mifflin, about 45 minutes away.

Its funny you mentioned you mentioned an Easter Egg hunt as Canonsburg has an Easter Egg drop from a helicopter: Easter Egg Hunt Canonsburg PA

As for the library, there is a brand new library in town thanks to the late benefactor Frank Sarris:
Frank Sarris Public Library

Speaking of Sarris, its a Canonsburg landmark. Its a candy store/factory that has the a wonderful shop and unfortunately right now a damaged ice cream parlor, due to a fire in early February. The parlor is under renovation...but the candy shop is open and highly recommended:
Sarris Candies - The Worlds Best Chocolates

There is a decent park right off the main drag of town which also contains a popular pool in the summer, you can check out more from the borough's main website:
Borough of Canonsburg

As for festivals, the next big one in town is a celebration of Canonsburg's own Perry Como's 100th Birthday on May 18th and 19th. After that, the town's pinnacle celebration of the year is the 4th of July parade, the second biggest in the state. Then in fall, there is the festive OktoberFest that overakes downtown Canonsburg.

If you are on facebook, there is a resourceful page run by the town: https://www.facebook.com/downtowncanonsburg

Also the local Patch newspaper: Canon-McMillan, PA Patch - News, Sports, Events, Businesses & Deals can be helpful for current events/activities.

Hope this helps and welcome to the area.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,497,058 times
Oh my God, Sarris... I envy you for living there. I used to work there and I loved that area. There's this old barn theatre Little Lake Theatre which offers matinees for kids and summer camps ... Google it . It's really fun.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,334,635 times
A wonderful amusement park for children that age would be Idlewild park in Ligonier (although under perfect conditions it will take an hour to get there from Canonsburg.) There is also Chuck E Cheese in Bridgeville which would be about 10-15 minutes from Canonsburg.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:05 PM

75 posts, read 139,427 times
I work in Canonsburg, use the resources that psuinagc posted and that will give you a lot of information. There is a lot to do for kids once the warm weather hits. Do you know about Town Park in Canonsburg? It is a park up on top the hill with a nice size public swimming pool there.

A lot of the churches in town and even the hospital put on functions for the kids year round. There are Easter Egg Hunts, The Monster Bash around Halloween, Santa visits.

Last edited by josh5629; 04-03-2012 at 02:20 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 03:10 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,477,564 times
I am on the other side of town from you but most of the major attactions are located in Pittsburgh, Science Center, Children's Museum, Aviary, Zoo and Natural History Museum.

My boys are now almost 5 and almost 4. When they were younger we had a Children's Museum pass and now we have a zoo pass. My mother has the Carnegie pass which gets us into the Science Center and the Natural History Museum.

Try Gymkhana. I think there is one in the South Hills. We did the one in Point Breeze. Nice activity for younger kids.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:41 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,668,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinzerMama View Post
There is a railroad and trolley museum in washington.

Better yet, Wiz Bang Khaliffa is moving there, which makes the community super appealing to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh