Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:42 PM

11 posts, read 13,427 times

Advertisements

What does it mean in a Lease stating, "Tenant shall, upon the execution hereof, pay to the Lessor the sum of $___ (acknowledged by the signing of this lease agreement,) as a Security Deposit..."
Does 'hereof' mean the security deposit is due at the execution of term of the lease (the move-in date), or the execution of the agreement (signing date) of the lease?

Also, can a landlord require a security deposit at the signing of a renewal many months before the end of the current lease term and the start of the new one?

Furthermore, if the landlord --at signing of the renewal-- says the security deposit can be sent in later, can they then suddenly pursue the eviction process on the renewal if the security deposit has not been received, even if it is many months before the start of the term, and the landlord had not asked for it?

And finally, if the landlord has broken the no-increase-of-security-deposit-after-five-years law, how does that affect the situation?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 PM

674 posts, read 1,412,274 times
It sounds like you need to contact a lawyer who has experience with landlord-tenant law.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
It sounds like you need to contact a lawyer who has experience with landlord-tenant law.
Can't really afford a lawyer unless this gets really bad... I mean, why blow my security deposit on legal fees and still end up paying the landlords something? I can barely scrape together enough to pay double rent this month (rent plus a security deposit) since the landlord gave me no warning.

I am open to any free advice, legal or otherwise, you can direct me to. I have heard of tenant advocacy groups and such that offer free advice, but have yet to find a link...

Old 03-28-2012, 02:07 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
I'm not sure I understand the situation. You've been staying at this place for a while and the landlord is asking for additional security deposit to renew the lease? Told you that you could pay it later, then when you didn't pay it immediately tried to kick you out?

Old 03-28-2012, 02:42 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
I don;t understand it either. The security deposit has to be paid when the tenant moves in, with the first month rent. Its role is to cover the eventual damage that the tenant makes, beyond normal wear and tear. It should be stated clearly in the lease contract that you both signed before you moved in.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:43 PM

97 posts, read 165,254 times
Saying someone can do something is exactly worth the paper it's not printed on.

"Hereon" means at execution of the agreement. If you had signed without the check and it had been accepted you were already in breach.

Why don't you pay your landlord the additional security they are requesting? If you appear unwilling/unable to meet that condition of your contract with them they are fully entitled to pursue eviction as you are the one causing the breach.

I'm not sure how familiar your landlord is with your financial situation, but if the additional security was a large sum they may have raised it in an effort to have you choose to not continue your lease.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:48 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
Usually before you move in you should give the landlord a check for both security deposit and the first month rent. Some places charge two month rent as security deposit. It happened to me when i was a renter. So indeed it I had to pay three month rent before I got into that appartment. But this was in Mt lebanon, so it was sort of exception. the norm is one month rent.

Upon renewal the landlord can't and won;t ask you for more security deposit. You paid it once at the begining and that is it, even if you stay there more years and renew the lease each year.

When you leave, you will get your security deposit back minus the eventual repairs for the damages that you made.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:28 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
The original security deposit usually just carries over to the renewed lease. I've even had landlord's increase the rent and not ask for the equivalent increase in security deposit.

I typically try to deal with landlords via e-mail, so that there is a record of any promises or deals that are made. Even if we talk on the phone or in person, I'll send a follow up e-mail like "Hey, I did X, and Y should be in the mail. I just wanted to confirm Z."

Quote:
Furthermore, if the landlord --at signing of the renewal-- says the security deposit can be sent in later, can they then suddenly pursue the eviction process on the renewal if the security deposit has not been received, even if it is many months before the start of the term, and the landlord had not asked for it?
It doesn't matter what they said if you can't prove it. It sucks, but you have to go by whatever the lease says.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:54 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
Landlords can ask for additional security deposit on lease renewal but its not common practice. If you don't like it, move. That's the most likely reason the landlord is raising it, to make you move.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
I would like to. Can you recommend one?

Ideally, I would appreciate free legal help from a tenant association or something, but I haven't had much luck finding one in PA or Pittsburgh. At least a free consultation from a regular housing lawyer would help, but I'll settle for whatever will get this resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh