U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:28 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,363,078 times

Advertisements

I laugh at a lot of things. But they actually have to be amusing for that happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:30 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,333,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I forgot to add, natives to SW PA also can't laugh at themselves, and take everything seriously.
Right. I was joking, in case that wasn't obvious. . .

And one of the best hallmarks of the Pittsburgh sense of humor is self-depreciation. So again, I'm going to have to call bull****.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:31 PM

3,191 posts, read 3,975,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I laugh at a lot of things. But they actually have to be amusing for that happen.
That's right, your reminded me that natives have a very strange sense of humor

Old 03-29-2012, 05:14 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,080,241 times
Quote:
Right. I was joking, in case that wasn't obvious. . .
It was, to those of us who can laugh at ourselves and don't take everything seriously.

But since you've very thoroughly debunked the hypothesis presented in the opening post, I propose an alternative...

Pittsburgh runners pull to the left because they put much more weight on their left foot than their right. It's a result of multiple generations of favoring the brake pedal over the accelerator pedal, when merging.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:24 PM

9,893 posts, read 10,207,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Pittsburgh runners pull to the left because they put much more weight on their left foot than their right. It's a result of multiple generations of favoring the brake pedal over the accelerator pedal, when merging.
Which would presumably be a result of multiple generations not learning to properly operate the foot controls.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:28 PM

965 posts, read 1,645,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Gravity is pulling us in every direction, Scott -- up, down, sideways. The gravitational force between two objects is proportional to the product of their masses normalized by the square of the distance between them. The most massive body around is the earth, so the sum of all gravitational forces acting on a person will always pull them towards the center of the earth, or down.

So for your theory to work, every Pittsburgher must have a super massive body -- far more massive than their earth -- to their immediate left. But, that super massive body and the earth would be pulled together by gravity, and you'd be pulled to the super massive body, so net effect of that gravitational field would be to pull a person toward the center of the earth. Considering that, there's simply no physical way that a body on earth can be pulled by gravity to the left.

Gonna have to call bull****.
I got the joke... except you forgot to scale force of attraction by the gravitational constant.

And I call double bull**** since you didn't consider relativistic effects... People are pretty massive here

Old 03-29-2012, 08:08 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,080,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Which would presumably be a result of multiple generations not learning to properly operate the foot controls.
You think that was funny? Man, you Beaver Couty guys have a warped sense of humor...

Old 03-29-2012, 08:22 PM

9,893 posts, read 10,207,903 times
Of course it's not funny. It's too serious to be funny.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,333,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
I got the joke... except you forgot to scale force of attraction by the gravitational constant.
Note that I said "proportional to" not "equal to" and since it's a constant, it doesn't really need explaining. Hooke phrased the relationship using similar language whenever he accused Newton of copying his work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
And I call double bull**** since you didn't consider relativistic effects... People are pretty massive here
Touche! There would be some crazy relativistic effects with 310,000 super masses. Haha.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:09 PM

8,501 posts, read 7,750,736 times
Not me, I never lean or turn left. I make 3 right turns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh