Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,663,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I'll be 42 and have never worn sunglasses while driving.
Off-topic, but being on the wrong side of 40 myself, you may want to re-think that. I got a lecture from my optometrist recently about the sun and damage to eyes. Anyway, sunglasses can help to at least delay and potentially prevent cataracts, and possibly macular degeneration. One of the many joys of getting older...

Cataracts - Prevention
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,950,057 times
Quote:
There's an expressway (I believe known as the Taconic Parkway) that essentially goes from Manhattan to JFK. Complete with a tunnel like 376. I'm certain this would never happen there
Actually the Taconic goes from Westchester to Albany. It's one of those cars-only, narrow lane roads where you really, really don't want to be behind an Escalade

Sounds like you're thinking Midtown Tunnel to the LIE (495) to the Van Wyck. But as the tunnel starts with a toll booth and even the EZPass people have to slow down, I don't know if that's a fair comparison. I can't think of another route with a major tunnel going from Manhattan to LI/Kennedy.

Btw, if someone really wants to experience a driving thrill in NYC, I strongly suggest the Jackie Robinson Pkwy. Not for the faint of heart.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:53 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,459,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
Off-topic, but being on the wrong side of 40 myself, you may want to re-think that. I got a lecture from my optometrist recently about the sun and damage to eyes. Anyway, sunglasses can help to at least delay and potentially prevent cataracts, and possibly macular degeneration. One of the many joys of getting older...

Cataracts - Prevention
I wear sunglasses ALL THE TIME, mainly cuz chicks dig me.

Seriously, I'm on the wrong side of 50 and years ago I was advised to wear sunglasses even on cloudy days. Cataracts come sooner or later, so far it's been later.

Funny, my wife surprised me with a new pair of Ray-Bans last night. Sad to say, my last pair is somewhere along Babcock Blvd., left them on the roof of my car.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:00 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,553,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
left them on the roof of my car.
I've done that. Set them on the roof. Then, when I came back to the car, it was dark. This was in my own garage even, normally light would come on but door was already open and I got into the car without putting the light on. Backed out. Realized when I heard them fall off. Couldn't find them in time to prevent them being smashed. And they were prescription....

's alright, that was a couple years ago. I have a new pair.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:02 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,187,136 times
Quote:
I also love to kid with Trisha Pittman from WPXI when she comments about "sun glare" holding up traffic.......I'll be 42 and have never worn sunglasses while driving. The sun can be bright, but it's never brought me to a grinding halt.
Crest Greentree Hill outbound on a sunny afternoon, and tell me that sun glare isn't an issue, sunglasses or not.

I've never seen anyone come "to grinding halt" but in the same sense that the spray from enough rain on the road inhibits forward visibility, so does looking almost directly into the sun. Prudent drivers slow down to deal with that. I'd put it in the same catagory as "overdriving" your headlights at night. You don't go any faster than the speed at which you're able to stop in the distance you can see. And when you're on the road with a thousand other drivers all dealing with the same issue, it becomes all the more imperitive.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:10 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,817,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
It's called rubbernecking and I've seen it all over the country and once in Germany.

"once in Germany
" --- LMAO!

Drivers in Allegheny, Washington, and Westmoreland Counties seem to collide with buildings at some rate that far, far exceeds the National Average, presuming that the Gumm't has collected statistics on such collisions and knows what the average is. I don't have statistics to back up my claim. But my intuition thinks the rate is oddly high.

I don't know why so many drivers hit buildings. I'm uncertain whether the solution is more driver training, or simply more bollards. But from working in predominantly male occupations, I know that one should never mention a problem unless one can contribute some options for solving it.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:24 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,675,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Actually the Taconic goes from Westchester to Albany. It's one of those cars-only, narrow lane roads where you really, really don't want to be behind an Escalade

Sounds like you're thinking Midtown Tunnel to the LIE (495) to the Van Wyck. But as the tunnel starts with a toll booth and even the EZPass people have to slow down, I don't know if that's a fair comparison. I can't think of another route with a major tunnel going from Manhattan to LI/Kennedy.

Btw, if someone really wants to experience a driving thrill in NYC, I strongly suggest the Jackie Robinson Pkwy. Not for the faint of heart.
Van Wyck, thank you!

I'll have to try the Jackie Robinson Parkway, sounds great!

Old 03-30-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I wear sunglasses ALL THE TIME, mainly cuz chicks dig me.

Seriously, I'm on the wrong side of 50 and years ago I was advised to wear sunglasses even on cloudy days. Cataracts come sooner or later, so far it's been later.

Funny, my wife surprised me with a new pair of Ray-Bans last night. Sad to say, my last pair is somewhere along Babcock Blvd., left them on the roof of my car.
Ray Bans or Wayfarer are the only brand I would wear. As ridiculous as it sounds, I won't wear them because I think most people look ridiculous with them on. Especially the bug size shades for women, and the oversized blacked out shades for men

Old 03-30-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter_rej View Post
I have definitely seen this in Houston, and God-forbid that the accident happens near the junction of two highways, or all 4 directions will be backed up.

Thanks for your and everyone else's. Ive driven in NYC, Boston, Montreal, Quebec City, Miami, Chicago and Washington DC and only have seen hold ups when the accident happens within your direction, and even then, people seem to swerve and keep moving

Old 03-30-2012, 02:15 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,553,227 times
Quote:
Thanks for your and everyone else's. Ive driven in NYC, Boston, Montreal, Quebec City, Miami, Chicago and Washington DC and only have seen hold ups when the accident happens within your direction, and even then, people seem to swerve and keep moving
You have lucked out then. Rubbernecking is pretty universal from what I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh