Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 02:32 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,984,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
I kind of like this suggestion. Actually, I was looking at Clay Pike, but 136 seems to go directly to Rt.19. Google says this route is pushing 50 miles and an hour and a half, but I know google maps is way off on their route times, plus I doubt there would be many lights on traffic on this route.
I've taken Rte136/31 numerous times from 51 to I70. It doesn't save time, and if you get behind a slowpoke (and tractors are fairly common on that route), you'll lose time. It's mostly a two-lane, windy road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 02:42 PM

264 posts, read 492,318 times
Quote:
I kind of like this suggestion. Actually, I was looking at Clay Pike, but 136 seems to go directly to Rt.19. Google says this route is pushing 50 miles and an hour and a half, but I know google maps is way off on their route times, plus I doubt there would be many lights on traffic on this route.
136 can be pretty windy, with few passing zones, so if you get stuck in a line of slow moving cars, it may end up being a pretty grueling trip. I don't travel it enough to really know what to expect though.

Even taking 136, you're better off following Brownlee as others have said, which "cuts the corner" and lets you avoid Washington. Taking Thomas-84 to Linden to Thomas/Waterdam will shave a few minutes off of the trip out 519 as well.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:49 PM

If you know an easy way to get from Hempfield to Elizabeth, you could go through Elrama, Finleyville, and Venetia and go into Peters that way. I don't really know that area though but just from looking at a map, that area between Herminie and 48/51 looks pretty slow-going. I'm thinking the highway to Dunningsville/Brownlee Road is going to end up being the best bet.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:05 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLibertyAve View Post
If you know an easy way to get from Hempfield to Elizabeth, you could go through Elrama, Finleyville, and Venetia and go into Peters that way. I don't really know that area though but just from looking at a map, that area between Herminie and 48/51 looks pretty slow-going. I'm thinking the highway to Dunningsville/Brownlee Road is going to end up being the best bet.
That's possible, but that is also the longest route, which means it might eat up more in gas. Plus, there would be tolls for the turnpike to get to I-70, and there is always construction on 70 too. That highway is a nightmare.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:04 PM

17 posts, read 17,342 times
Village is right. Brownlee is the shortest. I grew up in Speers Hill and when we were going to Peters or N Strabane, that was our route of choice. Brownlee is accessed at the Dunningsville exit of I-70.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
That's possible, but that is also the longest route, which means it might eat up more in gas. Plus, there would be tolls for the turnpike to get to I-70, and there is always construction on 70 too. That highway is a nightmare.
According to Google, 70 to Brownlee is only 3 miles longer. It doesn't look that way on the map, but apparently all those deviations from the straight line add up. Not to mention the hills, curves, and other obstacles that require you to slow down on 136 will chew away at gas mileage.

136 is a dangerous road that has seen it's share of fatalities over the years. Unfortunately, that stretch of 70 is not much better, and is considered one of the most outdated sections of the entire interstate highway system. As a result, the speed is 55 most of the way, even dropping to 45 through Belle Vernon IIRC. Traffic still moves at pretty decent clip, just need to be more aware due to no shoulders, no medians, short ramps, etc.

On the bright side, if he accepts this job, no matter which route he takes he will be driving through the best scenery in SWPA imo. 70 literally runs through the backyards of farmhouses and abuts vintage barns and even a covered bridge. 136 is much the same, following the contour of the open land and passing through some of the old coal patch towns (perhaps the rural equivalent of the Pittsburgh "microneighborhoods" of another thread).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh