Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 02:16 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Well then the logical answer to that is the other side should become motivated and equally organized to counter the prohibitionists. It's still America and a democracy, at least at the local levels.
Yep. Well, either they didn't do that well enough, or I am in fact quite wrong. I know there was a vote on it a year or two ago.

I'd care more if I passed through Bellevue more often or lived near there, but since I don't I just find it unusual.

I actually think from a business perspective they *should* in fact care about outside perspectives and not just (what I still think is only a few) constituents, but I don't think they will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 06:23 PM

377 posts, read 651,904 times
I am not the creator of the petition. A girl I went to school with is. Her family owns a few restaurants--in Bellevue and other places.

The thought isn't just to let people drink. It is that Bellevue needs to start moving forward. It is probably time to to allow the sale of alcohol in town. It would help out the restaurants. A lot of people are sick of check cashing places, rent a centers, and dollar stores taking over the business district.

20 years ago Bellevue had a movie theater, bowling alley, some unique stores ( the looney bin, lol), 2 bakeries ( now has 1). The movie theater was replaced with a Dollar Store, Blockbuster replaced with Rent A Center, the old pet store replaced with a Cricket store, etc etc. It is really depressing.

I agree though that people need to get out and vote if they want things to change. They had their chance 1-2 years ago but it didn't happen.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:26 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
So you're saying the town was doing well 20 years ago. It didn't have bars then, why do you think that would turn things around now?

Old 04-04-2012, 06:30 PM

377 posts, read 651,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
So you're saying the town was doing well 20 years ago. It didn't have bars then, why do you think that would turn things around now?
The town is different now. A lot of the single family houses are now apartment buildings---including the house I grew up in. There are many more renters. Having a vibrant business district would hopefully help to attract some young, professional people to the area. It is such an easy commute to the city or North Hills and affordable. I know most people my age though have the idea that there is nothing to do there---they are kind of right sadly. It is such a walkable town. It would be great if you could walk somewhere for dinner and a few drinks with friends.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:16 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Plus, Bellevue has a live worship shop

Old 04-05-2012, 09:20 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchya View Post
The town is different now. A lot of the single family houses are now apartment buildings---including the house I grew up in. There are many more renters. Having a vibrant business district would hopefully help to attract some young, professional people to the area. It is such an easy commute to the city or North Hills and affordable. I know most people my age though have the idea that there is nothing to do there---they are kind of right sadly. It is such a walkable town. It would be great if you could walk somewhere for dinner and a few drinks with friends.
I make it to Bellvue every couple of years. I kind of thought that the business district was doing okay. Clearly, not an upscale business district but Bellvue is a lower middle class/working class town.

Last thing you want are a bunch of bars.

Wilkinsburg is dry too.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:53 PM

567 posts, read 1,161,279 times
A friend who lives in Bellevue said something about how someone who gave a large gift to their library back in the day had the stipulation that Bellevue remain dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh