Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:25 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Granted I wasn't here in the 80s and 90s, but my impression is that Friendship has always existed in the minds of the people who live there and in surrounding areas. The city making it a neighborhood was merely official recognition.
I'm not a local, but my mother's cousin went out here with her husband in the 1990s when he was in Grad school at Pitt. At that time, they lived in Friendship, and it was apparently popularly considered part of East Liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 09:18 AM

172 posts, read 331,333 times
Quote:
my impression is that Friendship has always existed in the minds of the people who live there and in surrounding areas. The city making it a neighborhood was merely official recognition
I live in Friendship, have served on one of its community boards, have talked to people who've lived there since the 1960s, and have written the bulk of the Wikipedia article about it. Long story short, there was no neighborhood called "Friendship" until the late 1980s. Before that time, the people living in what we now know as Friendship said that they lived in the neighborhood they shopped in - i.e., people who lived near Liberty Avenue said that they lived in Bloomfield, people who lived near Penn Avenue said that they lived in Garfield, people who lived near Negley Avenue said that they lived in East Liberty, and people who lived near Baum Boulevard said that they lived in Shadyside. The notion of a distinct, almost solely residential "Friendship" neighborhood was created by preservationists in the late 1980s and has caught on among the highly-educated people who have begun buying and renting there since the early 1990s.

For the record, a Pittsburgh community Atlas from 1977, based not on census tract boundaries but on conversations with residents, claims that Bloomfield extended north to Penn and as far east as Graham Street; what we now think of as the part of Friendship that is south of the Quiet Storm, Salt of the Earth, etc. was then considered to be part of East Liberty. See http://www.ucsur.pitt.edu/files/nrep...PNA%201977.pdf and also http://www.ucsur.pitt.edu/neighborhood_reports_1977.php

Old 11-19-2012, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,560 times
I realize this thread is 7 mos. old and people may not see this or care-- but where is a link to the map that was being made? thanks in advance. also, if anyone would care to direct me to northside parts of the discussion, that's what i'm interested in.

ps, "Friendship" is a recent designation. Ask someone from Bloomfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh