Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 PM

425 posts, read 958,332 times

Advertisements

This is a pretty good article, thought I would share it.

The Rust Belt Revival: Critical Eye : Details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 11:35 PM

11 posts, read 47,386 times
Default What about the movie industry?

Nice article, but I wish there had been mention of Pittsburgh's growing movie industry. HOLLYBURGH!!

Old 04-04-2012, 07:02 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,320 times
East Liberty "an industrial wasteland"???? Has the writer ever even been here?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,715,521 times
Vintage City Data: pick out one thing on a positive article that they don't agree with and complain about it.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:33 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Vintage City Data: pick out one thing on a positive article that they don't agree with and complain about it.
When I read, East Liberty = industrial wasteland, it discredits the author of that article. East Liberty isn't was never some industrial wasteland. It was a decaying residential neighborhood with a crumbling shopping district. The shopping district is still a mess, but you can see the turn for the better is well on the way. Yes, the article is positive, but I wish people who right about Pittsburgh were more educated on the areas. Also, Pittsburgh "rust belt" designation is way old. We are way past that and really that is ancient news. It would be great if we got rid of the "rust belt" designation. How about a progressive city?

Last edited by gg; 04-04-2012 at 07:41 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 08:03 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Yes, the article is positive, but I wish people who right about Pittsburgh were more educated on the areas. Also, Pittsburgh "rust belt" designation is way old. We are way past that and really that is ancient news. It would be great if we got rid of the "rust belt" designation. How about a progressive city?
That will come in time as Pittsburgh shakes off the last of its old industrial vestiges. But I don't think "progressive" really applies either, given the political connotations. I'd go with more innovative.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:19 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,058 times
I like innovative much better than progressive too although I'm not sure how innovative Pittsburgh really is. Its doing well and its a good place to live, but innovative?

Its good to have positive press about our city but some things make you wonder, like the East Liberty comment or trying to also potray Braddock as having a similar revival. Despite a few people trying hard to help Braddock, it is still a disaster.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:21 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
I like innovative much better than progressive too although I'm not sure how innovative Pittsburgh really is. Its doing well and its a good place to live, but innovative?

Its good to have positive press about our city but some things make you wonder, like the East Liberty comment or trying to also potray Braddock as having a similar revival. Despite a few people trying hard to help Braddock, it is still a disaster.
The city is making strides in some very innovative ways.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:56 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
I don't think we should be completely abandoning our Rust Belt branding. For one thing, that is impossible--it was decades in the making, and you could waste enormous resources trying to eliminate it with very little effect. To the extent it does change, it will happen only over a long time and for reasons we can't really control.

For another, that branding is potentially useful: there are a lot of positive connotations, particularly these days, associated with "Rust Belt"--negative too, but smart use of that branding can unlock the benefits while minimizing the costs.

That said, I agree making proper use of the brand requires distinguishing East Liberty from Braddock.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 AM

716 posts, read 764,956 times
I agree that these articles lack credibility. I don't know if anyone read the one on Cleveland, but the "neighborhood to know" (which is the section where the East Liberty comment was made in Pittsburgh article) is "East 4th Street." Having been to Cleveland, I can say I enjoyed eating at Lola, but I'd hardly classify East 4th Street as a neighborhood. It's one street downtown, about the length of a bowling alley, that has a few restaurants on it. Not quite what I'd think of as a "neighborhood." I don't think whoever wrote this has actually been to any of these places...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh