U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-05-2012, 07:43 PM

9,866 posts, read 7,554,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjs65 View Post
Can anybody explain why there are two listings for Giant? It looks like it's split up by states. Different companies or owners?
The two Giants are totally different companies, or used to be. Part of the PA/WV/etc Giant is known as Martin's, or they certainly used to be connected to the PA Giant. I'm not certain that things haven't changed with those companies more recently.

Stop and Shop is definitely deserving of that low ranking, really bad.

I still find that Cranberry Giant Eagle, which is not a company-owned store, is pretty good most of the time. Except for pricing, on which a lot of stuff especially produce is not very good. Just don't have good options sometimes. I occasionally have the patience to go to multiple stores to get all the things I want, but someone else who is usually with me typically does not.

While we're on this, h_curtis, have you ever shopped at this Frankferd Farms in Saxonburg? Frankferd Farms Foods | Your Organic and Natural Foods Supplier I only learned of it recently, gotta check that out sometime. They are *wholesalers* for most of the things they sell, various organic products, plus they still mill some of their own grains. I believe they get some produce too. On Saturdays and Wednesday nights apparently they let you browse the warehouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-05-2012, 08:00 PM

10,201 posts, read 5,881,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
While we're on this, h_curtis, have you ever shopped at this Frankferd Farms in Saxonburg? Frankferd Farms Foods | Your Organic and Natural Foods Supplier I only learned of it recently, gotta check that out sometime. They are *wholesalers* for most of the things they sell, various organic products, plus they still mill some of their own grains. I believe they get some produce too. On Saturdays and Wednesday nights apparently they let you browse the warehouse.
Interesting. Thanks for that link. I might have to check that out someday.

Unread 04-05-2012, 08:32 PM

43 posts, read 39,466 times
Grew up in Rochester NY, which is where Wegmans got its start. That supermarket deserves all the praise it gets. Fantastic produce and baked goods...they put artisan stations and restaurants inside supermarkets before it was cool. I really wish Pgh had a few of them to show GEagle who's boss. Some of the Market Districts are catching up, but still have a way to go in quality and variety. Then you go to locations like the store in East Liberty, which is half-way to being a rural marketplace in the Dark Ages...

HOMEWORK: Where would folks put the Bloomfield Shur-Save on this list?

Unread 04-05-2012, 08:38 PM

485 posts, read 836,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjs65 View Post
Can anybody explain why there are two listings for Giant? It looks like it's split up by states. Different companies or owners?
I can. Giant Food Stores has been based in Carlisle PA for ~80 years and operated under the Giant and Martins banners in PA, VA, MD and WV. They used the Martins banner in markets in which they competed against Giant Eagle or Giant Foods of Landover, MD. Giant of MD operated in MD, DC, VA and NJ. Then along came Ahold, a Dutch company, which bought them both (Giant of PA in 1981 and Giant of MD in the mid-90's). They joined Stop & Shop, a Quincy, MA-based chain in the Ahold family ... along with a few others which were subsequently sold. For several years, Ahold has been consolidating operations, effectively melding these 3 operating companies into one big happy family, with centralized Merchandising, IT, Accounting, etc. Quite a challenge it has been.

Unread 04-05-2012, 08:40 PM

485 posts, read 836,855 times
On another note, what is everyone's opinion on Shop 'n'Save?

Unread 04-05-2012, 08:41 PM

25,404 posts, read 42,157,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun221 View Post
HOMEWORK: Where would folks put the Bloomfield Shur-Save on this list?
On life support, of course. I concur that the East Liberty Giant Eagle (in the Shady Hill Shopping Center) is horrific. I tend to split my grocery orders anymore between Trader Joe's and Target.

Unread 04-05-2012, 08:52 PM

1,125 posts, read 805,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
On life support, of course. I concur that the East Liberty Giant Eagle (in the Shady Hill Shopping Center) is horrific. I tend to split my grocery orders anymore between Trader Joe's and Target.
I agree with you completely. I go past there every day on my way home, yet purposely go out of my way to another Giant Eagle because that one is terrible (I don't even want to know what sure save is like)

Unread 04-05-2012, 09:21 PM

3,418 posts, read 2,369,202 times
The East Liberty Giant Eagle is poorly laid out, and the North Side one can have some seedy characters at times (especially milling about the parking lot), but the stores themselves are fine. They're not anything special, but they are clean and have your typical selection. The selection and cleanliness doesn't seem much different from the Murray Ave Giant Eagle except that there's no Kosher section.

Shur-save in Bloomfield certainly is another story, though. But I'll admit that it's a guilty pleasure of mine. It's very inexpensive, and I loathe Shadyside Giant Eagle Market District, so I got pretty used to it when I lived in Bloomfield.

Unread 04-05-2012, 11:02 PM

984 posts, read 514,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Really? I've been in there, and it's a Kroger but can't figure out what is so great about that.
I haven't been in there. I'm just going by the fact that Kroger owns Fred Meyer, and they were great in Portland.

Unread 04-06-2012, 05:14 AM

9,866 posts, read 7,554,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
I haven't been in there. I'm just going by the fact that Kroger owns Fred Meyer, and they were great in Portland.
Well, to be fair it's also been, eh, 5 years or something since I was in there, and it was only briefly. If you look at the list posted now, Fred Meyer ranks somewhat higher than Kroger. The common ownership doesn't always mean anything. I've been in Fred Meyer too but it's been way too many years and too little to pay much attention. I remember vaguely both a really old one and a really new one in Salt Lake City back probably 15 years ago roughly. The main things I remember were the new one was two-story, and the old one had one of those rounded roofs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh