U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-06-2012, 07:20 AM
 
Location: ɥbɹnqsʇʇıd
4,493 posts, read 3,254,898 times
Reputation: 3314

Advertisements

I haven't shopped at a Giant Eagle in a long time. The prices are just too high and they're always packed wall to wall no matter what time of day it is. I do most of my shopping at Aldi and ethnic grocers (so damn cheap) and Target for cleaning supplies. While I don't get the "one stop shopping" experience that seems to be so important to people, the price differences from my current shopping to GE is night and day. Plus shopping at different places gives you way better selection. My cupboards look like a UN meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2012, 07:46 AM
 
1,445 posts, read 907,217 times
Reputation: 1157
I go to the Northside Giant Eagle fairly often and it's an OK supermarket. It's clean and well run and the employees are always friendly. We get most of our food from Trader Joes mostly because we don't really do much actual cooking and we like the TJs frozen and prepared stuff. We run over to the Eagle for cat litter and toiletry stuff that you can't get at TJs.

I also like to patronize the Northside store just because there are so few supermarkets over here and I want to support them. I'd love to see an Aldi or similar discount place move in to the Manchester area, Western Ave would be a great place for a supermarket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 AM
 
30 posts, read 39,951 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I haven't shopped at a Giant Eagle in a long time. The prices are just too high and they're always packed wall to wall no matter what time of day it is. I do most of my shopping at Aldi and ethnic grocers (so damn cheap) and Target for cleaning supplies. While I don't get the "one stop shopping" experience that seems to be so important to people, the price differences from my current shopping to GE is night and day. Plus shopping at different places gives you way better selection. My cupboards look like a UN meeting.
Which ethnic grocers in particular do you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 AM
 
Location: ɥbɹnqsʇʇıd
4,493 posts, read 3,254,898 times
Reputation: 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosabel View Post
Which ethnic grocers in particular do you like?
Really big fan of Shanthi Supermarket in Greentree. The store is super clean and well organized (which is definitely a change from the other Indian grocers in the area). The owner is super cool too and he always strikes up conversations with you. My other one I'm at constantly is Las Palmas in Brookline. They have a great tacos on the weekends, awesome (and cheap) Mexican goods (and some goods from Guatemala, El Salvador, and Nicaragua), and a great butcher. Of course, there's the classic Pitaland right next to Las Palmas where you can pick up Mediterranean and Middle Eastern foods.

A few others I visit less often are Manpasand (Indian), Lotus Foods (various Asian foods), and S&D (Polish). There's also many other various Indian grocers sprinkled about that I visit from time to time. If you want to shop cheap for groceries in Pittsburgh, learn to love Indian food and goods!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 AM
 
Location: In a valley in the South Hills
4,211 posts, read 2,037,263 times
Reputation: 4832
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Strange, I don't buy prepared foods and shop there more than anywhere else. They have the best prices on all organics in town by far. I mean the vegetables alone are worth going there. Wild caught salmon or any wild caught fish? No one can beat those prices. Cheese? Best price anywhere. Rice or organic pasta? You might pay twice those prices at other stores. Prepared foods? I rarely eat anything like that, but I would say I do 90% of my shopping at TJ's. Of course I am a foodie. If you like real low quality stuff like Chinese apple juice and products will tons of fillers and large ingredient lists, then TJ's wouldn't be for you. I mean have a look at the ingredients on bread at TJ"s and compare that to your Towntalk stuff. Come on. What about buying half and half? At TJ's the ingredients are milk and cream. Have a look at Giant Eagle's half and half. I read labels, so I don't do the Giant Eagle thing. I can't afford that dumb little section they have for organics. The prices are crazy high.
Judgmental much? Did I launch into a defense of GE/MD someplace? I don't even know what "Towntalk" is. I don't use half and half, my coffee doesn't need it.

My comments on TJs are based on personal observations over several years. I've used TJs often in three different cities in CT and VA often enough to notice what parts of the stores are busy, where shoppers congregate and what's going into their bags at checkout. And prepared foods are huge. The stores are designed for singles and the childless (note the lack of baby foods, cleaning and paper products). Thus I find it difficult to see them at the #2 position. I have absolutely nothing against TJs but let's call it what it is.

TJs is simply a novel retailing concept with a completely different distribution system (particularly as it relates to packaging) that allows them to sell the same thing as other supermarkets but for less. Those chips? Just as likely to be produced by a PepsiCo subsidiary as anywhere else. The yogurt? Dannon's Stonyfield Farms. Remember that TJs is owned by the same folks who own Aldi, another chain that finds its margins by challenging distribution models.

FWIW, my personal food shopping habits are more closely aligned with AquaTeenCarl. But as MD is the closest full service supermarket to my house for what I need, I go there frequently. Trust me on this, you do not want to get into an argument with me on foodie cred. You just don't. I'll leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 11:53 AM
gg gg started this thread
 
Location: Pittsburgh
11,682 posts, read 8,065,778 times
Reputation: 4331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Judgmental much? Did I launch into a defense of GE/MD someplace? I don't even know what "Towntalk" is. I don't use half and half, my coffee doesn't need it.

My comments on TJs are based on personal observations over several years. I've used TJs often in three different cities in CT and VA often enough to notice what parts of the stores are busy, where shoppers congregate and what's going into their bags at checkout. And prepared foods are huge. The stores are designed for singles and the childless (note the lack of baby foods, cleaning and paper products). Thus I find it difficult to see them at the #2 position. I have absolutely nothing against TJs but let's call it what it is.

TJs is simply a novel retailing concept with a completely different distribution system (particularly as it relates to packaging) that allows them to sell the same thing as other supermarkets but for less. Those chips? Just as likely to be produced by a PepsiCo subsidiary as anywhere else. The yogurt? Dannon's Stonyfield Farms. Remember that TJs is owned by the same folks who own Aldi, another chain that finds its margins by challenging distribution models.

FWIW, my personal food shopping habits are more closely aligned with AquaTeenCarl. But as MD is the closest full service supermarket to my house for what I need, I go there frequently. Trust me on this, you do not want to get into an argument with me on foodie cred. You just don't. I'll leave it at that.
I am not judging you in the least. I merely stated, that I don't buy prepared foods. I am a label reader and realize that they don't put a bunch of crap in their products for the most part like a PepsiCo product would normally have. I don't care who makes what they sell, so long as they don't put the crap in everything like a Giant Eagle would do.

TJ's has cleaning products, toilet paper, dog food, hand lotion, Jojoba oil, shampoo, soaps, dishwashing and laundry detergent and everything anyone needs. They also have a huge produce section filled with organics at prices that are unbeatable. If you buy pre made stuff that is fine, but they are ranked number two for a reason. Great products at a great price and friendly service. If I want whipping cream, I can get it and it doesn't have gum or whatever in it. It has "cream" on the ingredients list and nothing else. Read your bread labels and read theirs. Sure your shelf life might be super long on that Giant Eagle bread, but I prefer more natural foods. I can get all my staples there. I don't have a baby, so no baby food for me. Oh you can even buy toothbrushes and toothpaste there. As well as all kinds of vitamins. If you go there for a pre made salad that is fine, but many people see the value of great food and products at a great price. Number two says I am right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
1,576 posts, read 943,900 times
Reputation: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I like Aldi and Save a Lot, myself. I'm cheap.
What? Don't you know that if you shop at Wegman's or a top-tier GE Market District, then all of your wildest dreams will come true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 12:58 PM
 
Location: In a valley in the South Hills
4,211 posts, read 2,037,263 times
Reputation: 4832
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I am not judging you in the least.
Then why do your replies repeat "you" and "your" to make your points? I've read enough of your posts to understand you have exceptional command of the English language and can figure out other ways of making your points without "you" and "yours" if that was your intent.

I don't even know why you're defensive. TJs does much that should be commended, such as their initiative to purchase all their fish/seafood from sustainable sources by the end of this year. I was simply questioning their #2 position.

FWIW, they could do more vis a vis transparency, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 01:11 PM
 
Location: In a valley in the South Hills
4,211 posts, read 2,037,263 times
Reputation: 4832
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
On another note, what is everyone's opinion on Shop 'n'Save?
Great for snack foods. They always have deals on chips at the Castle Shannon store, which is kinda dumpy. The one in Bridgeville is much nicer with a better selection of regional stuff and produce. But prices are no bargain compared to GE, IMO.

I think Bottom Dollar will affect both the GE and S&S in Bridgeville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 01:17 PM
gg gg started this thread
 
Location: Pittsburgh
11,682 posts, read 8,065,778 times
Reputation: 4331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Then why do your replies repeat "you" and "your" to make your points? I've read enough of your posts to understand you have exceptional command of the English language and can figure out other ways of making your points without "you" and "yours" if that was your intent.

I don't even know why you're defensive. TJs does much that should be commended, such as their initiative to purchase all their fish/seafood from sustainable sources by the end of this year. I was simply questioning their #2 position.

FWIW, they could do more vis a vis transparency, IMO.
Yes, I could use less, "your" and "yours". I agree.

TJ's also composts. That lowers garbage in the landfills by quite a lot.

Bottom line is, I can't afford good food, but now I can thanks to TJ's moving here. I can afford organics and wild caught fish from good supplies. I can afford good cheese and bread. Therefore, yes I am defending the place I do my daily shopping. I just bought a nitrate free ham that was no doubt the best ham I ever ate. It was about $4 a pound. How much is Whole Foods charging? For those of us on a budget, it really is the only option around my area. Price organics at Giant Eagle. My grocery bill would be close to double. Oh but I could save on fuel with those so-called perks. I hardly drive anymore. That is all smoke and mirrors. Whole Foods is great if you can afford it. If I was super rich, I might shop there more, but it is too expensive for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top