U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 04:11 PM

56 posts, read 44,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Whole Foods is great if you can afford it. If I was super rich, I might shop there more, but it is too expensive for me.
Meh. i think whole foods is a lot of smoke and mirrors. In the mommy world moms will get very uppity about how much better they feed their kids than other moms because they use XYZ whole foods type brands rather than mainstream stuff, but honestly when you really pick it apart a lot of whole foods type stuff is only marginally better than the mainstream equivalent. There's a lot of crap at Whole Foods. You pay a premium for the smug. (But it can be a good place for bulk foods, certain staples, and stuff you just can't get anywhere else)

I also swear they play subliminal messages in the music there... I find myself thinking yes... I eat a healthy diet... I like healthy food... I am going to start feeding my family healthier food... we will eat it... and enjoy it... and then I come home with the most random things that live in my fridge for ever because no one will touch them.

Trader Joes has some kick-ass stuff and kick-ass prices, for the most part. I can't do all my shopping there but I do like it.

I admit to shopping at Giant Eagle because I like the eagle's nest. It is very zen-like to shop without children. Of course the nest has no bathroom so I end up having to go back at least once to take the little beasts to pee but it's still nice.

I have heard people say shop n save is so much better but I have never compared, price wise.

Last edited by YinzerMama; 04-06-2012 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 10:30 PM

46 posts, read 43,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
On life support, of course. I concur that the East Liberty Giant Eagle (in the Shady Hill Shopping Center) is horrific. I tend to split my grocery orders anymore between Trader Joe's and Target.
We've been taking advantage of that Target's grocery section a lot more than we thought we would. Smaller selection of food than a supermarket of course, but decent quality and prices. It's nice to be able to run out for cat litter/toothpaste/socks or whatnot and also come back with enough groceries to last a week. That place has been a real boon to the East End.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Shur-save in Bloomfield certainly is another story, though. But I'll admit that it's a guilty pleasure of mine. It's very inexpensive, and I loathe Shadyside Giant Eagle Market District, so I got pretty used to it when I lived in Bloomfield.
Ahhh, that Shur-Save. So what if they've hired a guy to stomp on all the produce before they put it out on the shelves? So what if I almost lost the use of my hand, because they forgot to clean the microscopic-needles off their prickly-pears? I can walk to it, they carry hot Vlassic Banana Peppers and Diet Dr Pepper tastes the same, regardless of what store you buy it from!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:34 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,788,624 times
I really like the east liberty target too, not the best for the fresh stuff like meats/produce, but the rest of the selection is good and prices are as well, especially with the red card 5% off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh