U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 04:31 PM

4,690 posts, read 1,991,713 times

Advertisements

Generalizing about attitudes toward politics is a slippery topic, but I think (and cannot possible prove) that W. PA. has a more cynical and distrustful attitude to politics than other parts of the U.S., and I think this is explained partly by historical-cultural legacy, partly by the lingering effect of political machinery, and partly by the constitutional structure.

W. PA's ethnic mix, a Ulster Presbyterian "Scotch Irish" foundation overlaid by successive waves of immigration particularly from southern, central and eastern Europe, plays a role. The Ulstermen who largely settled the region in the late 18th c. were famously clannish, insular despite their wide-ranging diaspora, and distrustful of external authority everywhere they settled. The 19th c. European arrivals were almost entirely people for whom politics was something done to them by someone else, usually with very unpleasant results. The same could be said for the people who came here as part of the Great Northern Migration from southern states in the early 20th c. The result in this region is, I think, a greater tendency to view politics with more hostility than other regions of the U.S., and if viewed positively at all, essentially as a means to extract goods for your tribe, whatever that may mean now. I think it might be possible to find evidence of greater suspicion of the role of government here than for instance in places like Minnesota or the Pacific Northwest, where a different ethnic mix with larger portions of British, Protestant northern German, and Scandinavian immigrants has resulted in different cultural attitudes about what government can/should do.

The machine politics of the late-19th and 20th centuries likewise shaped W. PA's attitudes in the direction of seeing politics largely as a matter of extracting patronage, "jobs for the boys", and other benefits for "our side", rather than as the chief instrument for promoting the public good. The seemingly-endless stream of investigations and convictions of judges and legislators in PA, usually for despoiling the public purse, only helps to convince ordinary citizens that, on the one hand, plunder is what politics is for, and on the other, that every official is at it and only the arrogant or stupid get caught.

On the other hand, something which all parts of the U.S. have in common is a degree of cynicism born out of the frustrations inherent in our vaunted "separation of powers". Checks and balances may be a good way of frustrating would-be tyrants, but they also ensure a frustrated electorate, which eventually turns to cynicism about the process and the participants themselves. Opinion polls of European and Asian parliamentary democracies, where the will of the people is more likely to be translated through parliamentary majorities into visible and more or less immediate action, generally show small but significant differences with Americans on issues of trust or faith in politicians and their political system. Where American states depart from the standard checks-and-balances Federal model (usually through direct democracy provisions like initiative and recall) there also tends to be a slight but distinct difference in these attitudes. In Pennsylvania, with a standard separation of powers constitution and no direct-democracy provisions, these constitutional limits on visibly effective government probably contributes to a sense that politicians are at best self-interested, and at worst criminals who haven't been caught yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 04:36 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,703,640 times
Hmm. Having also spent time in Chicago and DC in recent years, I'd say no, not particularly. I do think machine towns breed a certain cynicism, but there are a lot of them in the United States so Pittsburgh doesn't really stand out.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM

9,698 posts, read 8,629,832 times
Rush Limbaugh once said, "Pittsburgh is a peculiar city, politically. It's full of Democrats who hate the government."

Old 04-10-2012, 04:39 PM

3,191 posts, read 3,938,033 times
I think cynisism about life in general is rampant is Western Pennsylvania. Particularly, SW PA

Old 04-10-2012, 05:05 PM

8,449 posts, read 7,633,097 times
I'll admit, I hate all politicians. They just want to feather their nest period

Old 04-10-2012, 06:19 PM
gg

11,595 posts, read 7,849,840 times
No faith at all in the double tongues. I can't think of a politician I feel is trustworthy. I think it has more to do with education than location. I mean, who can really fall for all the crap in politics? Being that Pittsburgh is becoming more educated and to be honest, even the Yinzer crowd is skeptical, so yes Pittsburgh would be full of skeptics. Rightfully so.

1. I though PA was going to get rid of state run liquor?
2. Balanced budget? Where? Germany?
3. Promises? Promise and it never gets done!

All bs. I always vote for the lessor of two evils when I vote. I fell for Obama's bs. What was I thinking? Of course it was a better vote that who he was running against.

Ah well whatever. It is all about money and power. That is who we vote for. Look at the money Ronmey has. Oh my. I am sure he knows what it is like to be one of the "little people".

Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,421,243 times
I think the cynicism you point out is endemic to the state as a whole, and to varying extents, much of the Northeast as a region. SW PAers may have specific micro reasons for being distrustful of government (some well-founded, others hogwash) but the overarching attitude is indicative of most older states with "machinist" political foundations.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 PM

4,056 posts, read 1,918,863 times
I don't think WPa has a monopoly on political cynicism. If anything, the state has too many straight-ballot voters, which to me implies mindless apathy, not cynicism.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:29 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,421,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I don't think WPa has a monopoly on political cynicism. If anything, the state has too many straight-ballot voters, which to me implies mindless apathy, not cynicism.
The two aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, I would venture to say that apathy--especially political apathy--often stems directly from cynicism.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:37 PM

69,693 posts, read 59,919,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I think getting rid of straight ticket voting and partisan municipal elections would help lower the cynicism level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh