Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 04:10 PM

3 posts, read 3,805 times

Advertisements

Where do we live? Here is some info to help get to know us:
We are in are mid-twenties. We both are professionals, with jobs in the human services field, so our income is modest but adequate. We have one dog, no children (yet) but we are considering schools due to resale. We do not plan to be in this house more than 5 years. We are currently living in Regent Square which is IDEAL, but the houses here are too expensive and we would prefer to buy, not rent. I work on the East End 90% of the time, and 10% downtown. My boyfriend works in the East End and Oakland.
What we love about regent square: small dog park behind our house, which is actually a baseball field that someone decided to make a dog park; walking to several cute bars/pubs but not too much of a "party" crowd (D's 6 pax and dogz, the map room, etc.) and general feeling of the people/neighborhood.
Is there anywhere like this in PIttsburgh in our modest price range (under 110K)? Somewhere that has a yard (a must) but within walking distance to a cute main street with shops and bars? Please help, we have been looking for months and I am getting frustrated and disheartened!!
Thank you!
Katie

EDIT: we are not necessarily committed to any particular side of town. We have kind of exhausted the East End it feels like; we don't want Penn Hills due to the school district. I am somewhat familiar with East, South, and North so I would feel most comfortable with those, rather than West. We have relatives in Sewickley and Gibsonia, so being on the Northside would be good too.

Last edited by kab162; 04-10-2012 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Additional Info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 04:50 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,651,584 times
I wouldn't buy with under 5 year time frame, even though that bet might look pretty good in many cases right now. Either buy where you think you're going to live longer than that, or rent. Do you like your current place? Keep renting there. Can you keep renting there while you save downpayment money, or is the budget not right for that? Maybe you've already saved some money. Keep on doing that!

If you're going to insist upon buying, I can't see why school district matters. It doesn't matter to you, so presumably someone else in the same scenario could buy without it mattering. If you want to consider adequate school districts then maybe you also won't have to move in 5 years.

One place that might work in your price range with adequate school is Millvale. Fits most other criteria, although I'm not sure you'll get much of a yard in many of the houses there. Plus you gotta watch the flood areas....

Old 04-10-2012, 06:15 PM

377 posts, read 652,032 times
Millvale could be an option. You will be able to find something under 110 for sure. My neighbors had a nice 3 bedroom brick house that sold for around 100. The frame houses are way cheaper. I actually had a large 3 tier backyard in Millvale but that is most likely the exception. As for the flood zone the majority of houses are actually on hills. You can use common sense in regards to that or you agent can also advise you if it is in the flood zone.

Also check out Reserve Township. You won't really be able to walk anywhere but the houses and yards may be bigger. You will be able to get to so many places pretty easily from Reserve. Reserve is Shaler school district.

If you decide to forget about schools then you may also want to check out Bellevue. You may be able to find a nice older house there for around 110. It is a walkable town with some nice homes. Actually Bellevue Elementary is fine. Its 6th and up where the problems are. Bellevue has a real main street. There are no bars though as it is a dry town.

All of the above have easy commutes in my opinion.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,805 times
Thank you both so much for your replies! I always thought (read: Ignorant non-native Pittsburgher) that millvale was a "white trash" area. Does this have any truth to it? I am white, and I am low-to-middle income, but I don't want to be in a high crime or drug area...but would love to be somewhere where i can either walk to a bar or throw back some brewskis on my porch without a neighbor getting huffy about it.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:02 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,651,584 times
Millvale is a working-class type area and LOOKS a little worn around the edges sometimes, but it's not a high crime area. There are some shops to go to (best bakery anywhere among them), and there may be a bit of additional young influence these days in similar couples to yourself. And the access to the city couldn't be much easier, except OMG you're across the river The school district is Shaler Area which is an average sort of district, not sought after but not awful. But people who are looking at Millvale aren't likely to be caring too much about school district. They'll be looking at budget, and with their kind of budget, the average district (as opposed to awful) will be enough.

Can't imagine the neighbors would be huffy about throwing back some brewskis on the porch, but they might hope you offer to share.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:32 PM

377 posts, read 652,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab162 View Post
Thank you both so much for your replies! I always thought (read: Ignorant non-native Pittsburgher) that millvale was a "white trash" area. Does this have any truth to it? I am white, and I am low-to-middle income, but I don't want to be in a high crime or drug area...but would love to be somewhere where i can either walk to a bar or throw back some brewskis on my porch without a neighbor getting huffy about it.
That is the image Millvale has unfortunately. I am not going to lie and say there weren't some characters there. As far as crime and drugs go though I had no problems with anyone. The couple that lived by me were in their 20s no kids. They sold to another couple who had 1 baby. Both were nice, professional couples. Across the street I had an older lady ( as in 80s) who still went outside every few days and cleaned her steps and sidewalks!

One of the most important things you can do when buying is try to find out a bit about the people living next to you. You can also tell a great bit by seeing how they keep their property.

Overall my neighbors in Millvale were the best I have had. I always had the feeling they were looking out for each other. One even would get my packages UPS left out of my sidewalk and hold them till I got home from work.

It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. It was a great, cheap, alternative to renting for me though for a few years. I sold my house in less than 6 months even though I was prepared for a very lengthy wait.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:46 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,094,688 times
If you like where you live now, I would look into some of the neighborhoods adjacent to Regent Square (Whitney Park, Kelly West and Peebles Square in Wilkinsburg, and the part of Swissvale near Swisshelm Park). They may be a further walk, or even a short drive to the Regent Square business district, but you should be able to find something in your price range. I think these neighborhoods will be seeing some appreciation, so you may be able to break even if you sell in the next 5 years.

I agree with the person who said that you may be better off renting. If you opt to rent, I would also look into the areas I mention above.

Last edited by stburr91; 04-10-2012 at 08:09 PM..

Old 04-10-2012, 08:39 PM

248 posts, read 326,316 times
I'll echo those who mentioned that your time frame might be too short for buying. Unless the house appreciates considerably before you sell you'll probably take a loss due to transaction fees from buying/selling. I don't think you'll really be paying principal on your loan in that period either so it would essentially be renting.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:06 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,146 times
Agree to rethink buying.

If you still want to buy after rethinking it, some ideas

Westview
Bellevue
Millvalle
Dormont
Munhall

The only one that has "good" schools far as I know is westview though.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,528,353 times
I would look in Oakmont. It really does have a "cute" mainstreet. Some of the others neighborhoods have a mainstreet but I wouldn't exactly call them cute. Coming form Regent Square you are really looking for an area that has an upscale feel without the upscale prices. Oakmont has some houses that are actually quite affordable. A few years ago a friend sold a house for under 60,000. Small but in a nice location. So, be patient you will find something. Take a look at the two links below. One house is 125,000 and the other is 79,000. There is also a half of duplex for 69,000. Riverview Schools are okay but the town of Oakmont is a selling point and resale has always been pretty good.

http://www.howardhanna.com/property/property.asp

http://www.howardhanna.com/property/property.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh