U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 03:17 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,837,186 times
i suppose so, but what that ignores is the fact that while you're beating the thing, there are still kids in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 03:18 PM

6,003 posts, read 3,878,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
personally, i think a merger with pgh or woodlands hills (preferably pgh, for the magnet schools) would be the best thing. i've even considered running for the school board to try to promote looking into a merger. but i don't think i have the stomach to be that involved in local politics.
Pittsburgh (or maybe even Penn Hills) can better handle it, I think. Woodland Hills has already gone through more than enough trauma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i suppose so, but what that ignores is the fact that while you're beating the thing, there are still kids in it.
Better that than simply maintaining the status quo and letting everyone suffer.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:15 PM

11,007 posts, read 7,054,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Sounds like an argument for school vouchers.
To break trends, you have to remove kids from those trends. There is nothing simple about this stuff. It is a shame really. Take all that money we spend on wars and military and put that into education, what would happen? Our future sure would look bright. Oh well, it is fun to dream, but none of this will happen. It would be great if Wilkinsburg would pick up their school somehow. Tough road, but maybe it can be done somehow. Think of the pride if it was done. It would be on 60 Minutes as a feel good story!

Old 04-11-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
To break trends, you have to remove kids from those trends. There is nothing simple about this stuff. It is a shame really. Take all that money we spend on wars and military and put that into education, what would happen? Our future sure would look bright. Oh well, it is fun to dream, but none of this will happen. It would be great if Wilkinsburg would pick up their school somehow. Tough road, but maybe it can be done somehow. Think of the pride if it was done. It would be on 60 Minutes as a feel good story!
You don't need to entirely restructure the federal budget to make vouchers work, especially since most education funding comes from state and local governments. Even on the federal level, all it would take is tweaking within the education budget itself.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:03 PM

927 posts, read 625,841 times
Quote:
Better for everyone to put the poor, hopeless, damaged thing out of its misery.
This is really the only option than will help everyone, the kids, and the taxpayers of Wilkinsburg.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:12 PM

4,690 posts, read 1,826,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
This is really the only option than will help everyone, the kids, and the taxpayers of Wilkinsburg.
I agree, and maybe, just maybe, this student demonstration will help by adding just a little bit more weight to the scales - ounce by ounce, and eventually they'll tip.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 PM

927 posts, read 625,841 times
Quote:
I agree, and maybe, just maybe, this student demonstration will help by adding just a little bit more weight to the scales - ounce by ounce, and eventually they'll tip.
Let's hope so.

The irony is that by the time they solve the school issue, Wilkinsburg could be seeing meaning redevelopment, and the next generation of these kids and their families, will become increasingly priced out. Ultimately, it will mean they will end up in equally bad school districts.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 AM

11,007 posts, read 7,054,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Ultimately, it will mean they will end up in equally bad school districts.
Of course they will. It isn't the schools, it is home life and an attitude that will just follow the kids around for life. Only one real way to resolve it. Boarding schools to separate the kids from that lifestyle that leads to all this over and over again. Generations of the same thing. It needs to be broken up and fixed. Anyone have a few billion laying around to help Allegheny County fix the problem? Man that sure would be great! A real investment in the future and the payoff would be huge.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Of course they will. It isn't the schools, it is home life and an attitude that will just follow the kids around for life. Only one real way to resolve it. Boarding schools to separate the kids from that lifestyle that leads to all this over and over again. Generations of the same thing. It needs to be broken up and fixed. Anyone have a few billion laying around to help Allegheny County fix the problem? Man that sure would be great! A real investment in the future and the payoff would be huge.
That was the basis behind Philadelphia's Girard College.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 301 times
Default parenting & school environment

Yeah sure great parenting would help, I taught in a similar school for many years, but it's a lot about the kids him/herself and the culture of the school. I've seen kids who come from terrible home lives but go to a great school, succeed. Good teaching and a highly motivating school environment matter a lot. Look up Bob Marzano--educational guru researcher...My question is what is the school board doing to make improvements? Didn't see any of them or the superintendent going out to talk with the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh