Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:52 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times

Advertisements

Oh, if you work on grant st. Eliza furnace is your best bet. Get off at the prison, on Grant street. It is perfect for u.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 04:25 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Scottpriester's way is really cool.
Once I hit the "Jail Trail", I cross at the Hot Metal bridge and head in either direction on the south side trail. So many great combinations to put together

Old 04-18-2012, 12:53 PM

172 posts, read 333,034 times
Quote:
I've had people tell me to go over the hill and down to the Eliza Furnace trail, as well as someone who told me to make my way to Liberty and ride the bike lane in. Liberty seems like it would be too busy even in the bike lane in the morning, and strikes me as a little dangerous.
I live in Friendship and have been biking to work downtown for two years. Liberty is not dangerous at all, at least not from Baum (where Liberty starts) to 34th Street (where the bike lane ends). I wouldn't recommend staying on Liberty after 34th Street, as there is no bike lane; the road widens to four lanes; and cars start moving at a rapid clip. But prior to 34th Street, you'll be fine if you stay in the bike lane.

To avoid the dangerous part of Liberty, I turn right onto 34th Street, left onto Spring Way, and then ride downhill to 32nd Street, turning right. Take 32nd across Smallman, then turn left on Spruce Way, which will take you to Railroad Street. Stay on Railroad Street until 24th Street, at which point turn right (just before the Cork Factory lofts) and you will be able to get onto the trail that runs along the river all the way to Point State Park, with access points before that if you want to get into downtown before you reach the Point.

This set of turns may sound confusing, but in practice it's very straightforward. And I can't think of a safer route - there are never any cars on Railroad Street, and obviously the trail is completely safe.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:43 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,200 times
I see this thread has turned into a nice reference for those looking to bike commute from the East End to downtown! Cool!

Anyone have any other general thoughts about biking in the city? Anyone out there want to talk about being somewhat nervous about biking in an urban area, then being pleasantly surpsised about how many options there are in Pittsburgh?

Old 04-18-2012, 02:00 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Someone should organize periodic events where an experienced biker shows inexperienced bikers some of these paths.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:03 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Someone should organize periodic events where an experienced biker shows inexperienced bikers some of these paths.
Can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. Does this already happen somewhere? I was thinking maybe it did, and I know there are cycling-specific websites (and forums) out there for Pittsburgh. Whether or not this happens already, I can't be sure until I check the sites when I have some time.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.
Absolutely not sarcastic! For example, I bet a bunch of people have thought it would be cool to at least check out commuting by bike, but don't feel like they know enough to try. So if you gave them a chance to actually experience it without having to rely on their own navigation/planning the first time, I think you could address that need.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:15 PM

733 posts, read 987,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Magarac View Post
I live in Friendship and have been biking to work downtown for two years. Liberty is not dangerous at all, at least not from Baum (where Liberty starts) to 34th Street (where the bike lane ends).
Agreed, although I can see why it might look intimidating. I expected it to feel much less safe before riding on it, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post

Anyone have any other general thoughts about biking in the city? Anyone out there want to talk about being somewhat nervous about biking in an urban area, then being pleasantly surpsised about how many options there are in Pittsburgh?
I lived in the city for a good while before I started biking because I was afraid of getting smushed by cars. I could have kicked myself after I finally decided to take the plunge and realized how enjoyable, and surprisingly not terrifying, it is to use the bike over the car or bus.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:21 PM

733 posts, read 987,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Absolutely not sarcastic! For example, I bet a bunch of people have thought it would be cool to at least check out commuting by bike, but don't feel like they know enough to try. So if you gave them a chance to actually experience it without having to rely on their own navigation/planning the first time, I think you could address that need.
Agreed. I knew a bunch of people who cycled before I started, and I was still hesitant at first. Having an experienced rider along for guidance and bolstering of confidence would probably make all the difference in the world for many first-timers.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:06 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times
Wow! Yeah having some sort of bicycle convention would be awesome. For example i used to work on the 24th st. in the Strip some 18 years ago when the loft building or whatever you call it it was just an abandoned thing where homeless used to sleep and it actually had trees growing out of it and it looked so ugly and there was no trail on the river shore whatsoever. Luckily I read here about it.

I guess I have to check it out.

That route is awesome. Thanks Joe Magarac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh