Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,978,688 times

Advertisements

Just in case someone isn't aware of them yet. Bike Pittsburgh is a great resource and advocacy group for cyclists in the area.

Bike PGH Maps

Bike PGH Forum (hopefully posting that isn't against city-data rules. I don't think it qualifies as a direct competitor, so it should be fine I think.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 07:38 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Just in case someone isn't aware of them yet. Bike Pittsburgh is a great resource and advocacy group for cyclists in the area.

Bike PGH Maps

Bike PGH Forum (hopefully posting that isn't against city-data rules. I don't think it qualifies as a direct competitor, so it should be fine I think.)
This is the site I was thinking of when responding to BrianTH earlier. Thanks!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:07 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,094,688 times
I don't want to get too far off topic, but has anyone heard when they are going to complete the GAP trail through Sand Castle?

Old 04-19-2012, 05:49 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,701,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I don't want to get too far off topic, but has anyone heard when they are going to complete the GAP trail through Sand Castle?

I thought they were shooting for this year. If I remember correctly, there was an announcement late last fall regarding the red tape being cut through to get that segment finished.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Someone should organize periodic events where an experienced biker shows inexperienced bikers some of these paths.

Friday mornings and Sundays are great for me; I'd love to get a group together and ride. PM me if you're interested.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I see this thread has turned into a nice reference for those looking to bike commute from the East End to downtown! Cool!

Anyone have any other general thoughts about biking in the city? Anyone out there want to talk about being somewhat nervous about biking in an urban area, then being pleasantly surpsised about how many options there are in Pittsburgh?

Within weeks of moving down here from Erie, I felt safer riding the streets, paths and trails of Pittsburgh than I did in Erie. Which doesn't initially make sense, because Erie is smaller. But, Erie's cycling culture isn't close to Pittsburgh

Old 04-19-2012, 07:27 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Someone should organize periodic events where an experienced biker shows inexperienced bikers some of these paths.
A great way to start riding a bicycle in Pittsburgh is ride with a group. One of the best groups around is Team Decaf that leaves from Tazza D'oro coffee shop on Thursday evenings around 6:00 or 6:30 PM. There are lots of weekend rides that leave at various times. Tazza is in a yahoo group and then there is a W. PA Wheelmen calendar of events that shows some. The Wheelmen are a nice bunch. Avoid rides with places like Pittsburgh Pro Bikes and the like for the most part. That is a different style and more into racing.

I am just going to repeat this a bit. Riding in a group with other cyclists with a leader is how it can start for people. It is much less intimidating and you will learn a lot.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:44 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,231 times
is Tazzo downtown? Where do you usually go?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
is Tazzo downtown? Where do you usually go?

It's in Highland Park, on Highland Ave

Old 04-19-2012, 01:00 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,090 times
Default Point Breeze to Town if it were me

I no longer live in the East End, although I did from 1996 to 2004. I have ridden Pgh streets for years and years. You're in a weird spot, Fifth and Forbes both stink because of how heavily traveled thery are. You may be best (as others suggested) to get into Panther Hollow from Boundary Street and jump on the Jail (Eliza Furnace) trail. Come out of Pt. Breeze whatever way you want (i'd come straight up Wilkins) into Oakland, get onto S. Neville/Boundary Street and take that all the way down until you start to see signs for the trail. It will be a longer rida than if you were to take Fifth all the way in but you will live longer, haha! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh