Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 08:25 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Yes, that's where the larger and more expensive homes generally are. South of forbes is more dense, more rentals and the where the businesses are. Also the furthest south near minedeo is very much like the 15217 section of greenfield.
Who knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 03:23 PM
CFP

475 posts, read 624,533 times
i'm going to be a gentleman here and not goof on any of the nice ladies in this story

i will say i was shocked to see retailers move into indigo square with very little signs of progress on the hotel
other than closing off the street and eliminating parking for the shops

New boutiques lift chic factor of East Liberty | TribLIVE

Old 08-09-2013, 04:20 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,524 times
I might be new and naiv but between negley and to bakery square and to my hiuse, I find the area nice. Maybe I'm blind but I try to keep out of trouble and just socialize in some spots.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:57 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
i'm going to be a gentleman here and not goof on any of the nice ladies in this story

i will say i was shocked to see retailers move into indigo square with very little signs of progress on the hotel
other than closing off the street and eliminating parking for the shops

New boutiques lift chic factor of East Liberty | TribLIVE
I saw a lot of excavation work being done earlier in the week. It is slow moving though. Ace will be done first I bet.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:49 PM
CFP

475 posts, read 624,533 times
put this one in the good news file

New coffee shop celebrates grand opening in East Liberty | www.wpxi.com

"A new coffee shop celebrated its grand opening in Pittsburgh’s East Liberty community Saturday.
Creamy Creations opened its second location on Penn Avenue. Its other location is in Penn Hills."

Old 08-12-2013, 01:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
I might be new and naiv but between negley and to bakery square and to my hiuse, I find the area nice. Maybe I'm blind but I try to keep out of trouble and just socialize in some spots.
East Liberty has come a long way in just a decade. Bakery Square 1.0 was just an old biscuit factory back then, preparing to close its doors. Now it houses Google and a lot of smaller businesses. Across the street you have Bakery Square 2.0 under construction on the site of an old school. There was no Target, Whole Foods, or plaza where PetSmart, PNC Bank, Starbucks, and Walgreen's are a decade ago. To my knowledge the majority of those restaurants in East Liberty (Paris 66, BRGR, Plum, Dinette, Spoon, Tana, Union Pig & Chicken, Station Street, etc.) weren't there either a decade ago. East Liberty looks amazingly better even just since I moved here in 2010. CFP is skeptical about the "staying power" of the "new" East Liberty, probably because this neighborhood has been through failed urban renewal projects in the past. There's just WAY too many wealthy households on all sides of East Liberty now (Shadyside, Higland Park, Friendship, Point Breeze, etc.) to let East Liberty fail again. East Liberty's sphere of influence extends much further out than just adjacent neighborhoods, too. We live in Polish Hill, closer to Downtown, and patronize businesses in East Liberty frequently.

You're moving to a city that's on a massive upswing. We may be behind DC, Philadelphia, NYC, etc. in terms of urban renewal, but we're rapidly catching up.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:10 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
put this one in the good news file

New coffee shop celebrates grand opening in East Liberty | www.wpxi.com

"A new coffee shop celebrated its grand opening in Pittsburgh’s East Liberty community Saturday.
Creamy Creations opened its second location on Penn Avenue. Its other location is in Penn Hills."
I wanted to check this out. Pics make it look nice. Can't really go wrong with ice cream unless the price is too high.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:17 PM

510 posts, read 905,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Sq Hill North aka North of Forbes is more prominent than South.

Either he is rich and wants to show it to people who care about that or he is new to Pgh and thinks that most people notice that distinction.
See, jay? I tell people I am from South Squirrel Hill so people know I am not affluent!

Old 08-12-2013, 01:26 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
East Liberty has come a long way in just a decade. Bakery Square 1.0 was just an old biscuit factory back then, preparing to close its doors. Now it houses Google and a lot of smaller businesses. Across the street you have Bakery Square 2.0 under construction on the site of an old school. There was no Target, Whole Foods, or plaza where PetSmart, PNC Bank, Starbucks, and Walgreen's are a decade ago. To my knowledge the majority of those restaurants in East Liberty (Paris 66, BRGR, Plum, Dinette, Spoon, Tana, Union Pig & Chicken, Station Street, etc.) weren't there either a decade ago. East Liberty looks amazingly better even just since I moved here in 2010. CFP is skeptical about the "staying power" of the "new" East Liberty, probably because this neighborhood has been through failed urban renewal projects in the past. There's just WAY too many wealthy households on all sides of East Liberty now (Shadyside, Higland Park, Friendship, Point Breeze, etc.) to let East Liberty fail again. East Liberty's sphere of influence extends much further out than just adjacent neighborhoods, too. We live in Polish Hill, closer to Downtown, and patronize businesses in East Liberty frequently.

You're moving to a city that's on a massive upswing. We may be behind DC, Philadelphia, NYC, etc. in terms of urban renewal, but we're rapidly catching up.

I don't know if East Liberty is going to fail again or not. But the same wealthy neighborhoods have always surrounded East Liberty.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:45 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I don't know if East Liberty is going to fail again or not. But the same wealthy neighborhoods have always surrounded East Liberty.
Is this really true? Friendship and Highland Park didn't used to be as nice as they are today. I'm not even sure the northeastern extreme of Shadyside had the cache it now has.

Also, East Liberty isn't surrounded by wealth. Last I checked, Larimer and Garfield border it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh