U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-18-2012, 03:00 PM

6,184 posts, read 4,167,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Sort of glad. Not a hipster fan. I like the name hipster, but if you read what they are about, they sound too selfish for a place like Pittsburgh.

We didn't make the top 35 cities for hipsters.

America's Best Cities for Hipsters - Articles | Travel + Leisure
Too selfish for a place like Pittsburgh? What does that even mean?

Anyway, I don't get all the hipster hate. Yes, they're rather silly and pretentious, but so are many people my age (I'm unusually cynical/establishment-oriented for a 23-year-old [and lawl skool isn't making that any better ]). For most of them, it's probably just a phase. Regardless, I do appreciate the fact that by and large, they improve neighborhoods and open up interesting shops and restaurants. Let 'em keep on coming. Rest assured curt, they won't be infesting "the borough" en masse--at least not until they sell out and get real jobs .
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 03:13 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,241,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Anyway, I don't get all the hipster hate. Yes, they're rather silly and pretentious, but so are many people my age
Bingo. Hipsters are just young bohemians, and every generation of the Industrial Age has had them.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:22 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,956,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
Sad thing is that if "hipsterism" were actually authentic, Pittsburgh would be the perfect place because of our cost of living. What I don't buy are the "hipsters" in expensive cities (like New York, or most all of the cities on the list for that matter) who share a $3000/month loft in Williamsburg Brooklyn and work as a coffee-shop barista, but whose real passion is shopping at Whole Foods and creating "art" (for whatever that means...) Becasue rents are low here, I'd say its feasible to work as a barista or something and still persue another passion. These "hipsters" in other cities have got to be parentally or governmentally subsudized or something to afford the outrageous costs of living, and I'm sorry, but being a tatooed barista doesn't pay those bills...

Right on. Over here in NYC, I have NO CLUE how these people pay 2000-3000 in rent, even if they live with 2-3 other people while they work at a Wholefoods, Trader Joes, Star Bucks or some other cafe shop/health food/shoe store. Like you said, they have to have some money from their parents are government to stay afloat. Lucky them!

Old 04-18-2012, 03:55 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,241,334 times
Totally random contribution:

Which cities shape our musical tastes? Atlanta, Montreal and … Oslo - The Washington Post

Quote:
Which cities are trend-setters for our listening habits? A new paper by two Irish network scientists, Conrad Lee and Pádraig Cunningham of the Clique Research Cluster, tries to answer the question by analyzing listening habits on Last.fm, a popular music Web site that pinpoints users by geography. The researchers found that, in North America, Atlanta tends to propel trends in hip-hop music, while Montreal leads listening habits for indie music.

Quote:
Leader-follower network for the 20 most active cities in Canada and U.S. The height of the nodes corresponds to influence. Gray lines signal a lag in spreading tastes of 1-3 weeks, blue edges a lag time of 4-5 weeks.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:11 PM

3,873 posts, read 3,398,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I found those a little confusing. Could you explain them for those of us who are confused by all the lines.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:20 PM

8,297 posts, read 7,367,461 times
I could never afford to be a hipster.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:38 PM

190 posts, read 144,500 times
Quote:
Bingo. Hipsters are just young bohemians, and every generation of the Industrial Age has had them.
You're right, but the difference here is that our current hipster friends span generations. If you go take a walk through any of these cities' hipster enclaves you'll see hipsters well into their 30s and even 40s skateboarding or playing dodgeball while the rest of us are at work. I just saw this while visiting a friend in Brooklyn 2 weeks ago. It was rather shocking! This is not just college kids or people in their early 20s who are syphoning off their parents/the government. We are lucky not to see this as much here in pittsburgh. They move to these working class neighborhoods from wisconsetuckey in the name of gentrifying the neighborhood and cause rents (that someone else must be paying for them) to skyrocket, forcing natives out. It's a real problem in NYC at least for sure, so again, it's not a terrible thing at all that Pittsburgh didn't make that list.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:48 PM

6,184 posts, read 4,167,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
You're right, but the difference here is that our current hipster friends span generations. If you go take a walk through any of these cities' hipster enclaves you'll see hipsters well into their 30s and even 40s skateboarding or playing dodgeball while the rest of us are at work. I just saw this while visiting a friend in Brooklyn 2 weeks ago. It was rather shocking! This is not just college kids or people in their early 20s who are syphoning off their parents/the government. We are lucky not to see this as much here in pittsburgh. They move to these working class neighborhoods from wisconsetuckey in the name of gentrifying the neighborhood and cause rents (that someone else must be paying for them) to skyrocket, forcing natives out. It's a real problem in NYC at least for sure, so again, it's not a terrible thing at all that Pittsburgh didn't make that list.
Make no mistake about it, the East End is full of them. Also, no one has an inherent "right" to any neighborhood. Neighborhoods change, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 PM

4,480 posts, read 4,995,651 times
There is an inherent contradiction about looking to "Travel + Leisure" for guidance on where hipsters are or are not to be found.

It's best understood as a magazine for the Geriatric to find out about cruises to the Adriatic.

Last edited by JEB77; 04-18-2012 at 05:35 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 05:20 PM

875 posts, read 797,649 times
Quote:
Interesting that Pittsburgh is as influential as it is in BOTH categories of Indie and Hip-Hop music. We might not be a big city, but I guess our influence is "larger than life".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh