Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:41 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,347 times

Advertisements

Here is a really nice 5 minute tribute to Matthew Shepard. It was made a few weeks ago so I know you haven't seen it!! :P

It's heart wrenching, take a few moments to watch it. People need to be aware of the hatred.

YouTube - This is a tribute for Matthew Shepard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 08:00 AM

73 posts, read 120,244 times
Default All the Doris Day parking you could want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I would agree with guylocke that the highest concentrations of gay people and families is Shadyside, Squirrel Hill and Mexican War Streets. I'd add Lawrenceville to the list these days. There are also lots of gay people in East Allegheny and Allegheny West, also on the North Side. Just look for someone renovating in an older part of town and they're probably gay.

I also know many people in Regent Square, Highland Park, and South Side (Flats and Slopes). Truthfully, wherever I go in town, whether city or suburbs, I see gay people. I know we are in every neighborhood and suburb.
What about Braddock? So far, the new crowd having a go at renovating this beautiful borough is gay-free. Now I know the mayor's six-foot-twenty or something, and we're a pretty burly, flannel-wearing straight group out here, but where else can you find a gorgeous mansion for under $30,000? Our friends just bought a huge old place for $23,000. After new wiring, new roof, new deck and the usual, they'll have a six bedroom place with original wood built-ins, twelve foot ceilings and stained glass windows for well under $100,000. Check us out. Please.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:04 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywithbraddock View Post
What about Braddock? So far, the new crowd having a go at renovating this beautiful borough is gay-free. Now I know the mayor's six-foot-twenty or something, and we're a pretty burly, flannel-wearing straight group out here, but where else can you find a gorgeous mansion for under $30,000? Our friends just bought a huge old place for $23,000. After new wiring, new roof, new deck and the usual, they'll have a six bedroom place with original wood built-ins, twelve foot ceilings and stained glass windows for well under $100,000. Check us out. Please.
Sounds great, but not easy. The thought had crossed my mind a few times, but Braddock is far from safe. Plenty of crime and drugs everywhere. I don't feel safe there in the daytime. I think the residents of Braddock need to make thier community more welcoming in order for this to happen.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:22 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
I don't want to be discouraging about Braddock's future, but Pittsburgh is not exactly short on neighborhoods with lots of great housing stock available for renovation, including in or very near some otherwise pretty well-established neighborhoods. Again, I don't think that means Braddock can't have a bright future, but it may take a while for it to catch up to neighborhoods which are already farther along in this process.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:51 PM

In the largest victory EVER for gay people in the United States, the California Supreme Court ruled today that a ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional and that gay people SHALL be allowed to marry in California.

California becomes only the second state in the country to allow gay marriage (after Massachusetts's). However, this news is huge because as we all know, California is the most populous and most influential state in the country by a far margin. This will pave the way for states "on the fence" to feel comfortable with allowing gay marriage, as well.

Opponents of this ruling are trying to get enough signatures to put a ban on gay marriage on the November ballot which would trump the justices ruling, however, Governor Schwarzenegger said even if enough signatures exists, he will not sign it and the ruling will stay.

This is a wonderful day for gay couples across the world.

Gay marriage ban overturned in Calif. - Crime & courts - MSNBC.com

Quote:
"Our state now recognizes that an individual's capacity to establish a loving and long-term committed relationship with another person and responsibly to care for and raise children does not depend upon the individual's sexual orientation," Chief Justice Ron George wrote for the court's majority.

Last edited by guylocke; 05-15-2008 at 02:02 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 02:09 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
Incidentally, the California legislature also passed a gay marriage bill, but it was vetoed by Governor Schwarzenegger, citing the now invalid ban. But with the Governor supporting this ruling and opposing an amendment overruling it, that now means that gay marriage has the support of all three branches of government in California.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:15 PM

It's ashame that this ruling didn't come sooner, Washington State ruled last year in a 5-4 split that said a gay ban WASN'T unconstitutional.

I wonder if they would have ruled differently if California had set it up. I bet they would have. DRAT!

However, what is really strange is that the justices wrote an addendum that stated that although they didn't believe it was ILLEGAL, per say, they still believe it to be unfair and that the state of Washington should re-evaluate their definition of marriage to include gays. After that ruling, domestic partnerships for gays were signed into law and a full gay-marriage bill is still pending. We'll see what happens!

PS. You're right about California. The Governor said he wouldn't sign INTO law gay marriage (he said he would leave it up to the courts or people, which he did) but he will also not sign INTO law a ban on gay marriage in the California constitution (which is what the voters in November will try to do).

Old 05-15-2008, 03:16 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,159 times
Things are moving along! While it's nice that individual states are finally starting to recognize gay couples as full citizens, it doesn't mean much if it's on a state-by-state basis. Gay couples should be afforded the full rights, responsibilities and privileges as everybody else, and that has to come through the federal government. What is really important is social security - if I die, my partner of 12 years has no rights to my benefits, where married couples would. There are about 1,500 other laws that are unequal and should apply to everyone. But I am heartened about the California decision. California is the bellwether state, and the rest of the country follows its trends.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
California is the bellwether state, and the rest of the country follows its trends.
That's exactly right. Like I said, there are several states that have ruled in the last year or two who had VERY close splits but have not overturned the law. I bet if California came first, those justices would have been more comfortable.

This will all start blowing across the country, now. The Republicans will also have a new fire under their ass to get a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage in the US Constitution but they will NEVER get it past now. Not after so much of the country has warmed up to gay partnerships. They would have had a better chance of that about a decade ago.

It's over.

Poor Republicans.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:55 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
That's exactly right. Like I said, there are several states that have ruled in the last year or two who had VERY close splits but have not overturned the law. I bet if California came first, those justices would have been more comfortable.

This will all start blowing across the country, now. The Republicans will also have a new fire under their ass to get a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage in the US Constitution but they will NEVER get it past now. Not after so much of the country has warmed up to gay partnerships. They would have had a better chance of that about a decade ago.

It's over.

Poor Republicans.
heh heh heh.... as Mayor Gavin Newsom said yesterday -- as California goes, the rest of the country will follow...

Congratulations! And yes -- I hope you all know this isn't sarcasm... it's time for equal to mean EQUAL....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh