Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:12 PM

15 posts, read 66,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How's it going in Youngstown? Are you starting to settle in?
Yup, I'm getting settled quite nicely. Things are going great and, although I do miss Pittsburgh, I am learning to love Youngstown and the surrounding areas. Besides, moving closer to work has cut my commute so much that I gain an extra 2 hours a day of "me" time that I used to spend on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 12:15 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,035,662 times
Quote:
This is primarily due to the fact that most gay men and some lesbians have no child rearing responsibilities, which eat into disposable income in a big way.
LOL, no offense, and thank you for your two cents, but you must have missed this from my first post.

Quote:
Very interesting. I will try to find the study. I read it at Duquesne when I was a sophomore. I also don't think they are talking about the flaming, in-your-face, "LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE" types. I'm sure in some ways, they are actually hindered in the work force. I'm sure there is a study!!

Also, the study compared people of single status. Many would say, "oh it's just because most gay men have no children!!" But that was accounted for.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,622,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytownlibrarian View Post
Yup, I'm getting settled quite nicely. Things are going great and, although I do miss Pittsburgh, I am learning to love Youngstown and the surrounding areas. Besides, moving closer to work has cut my commute so much that I gain an extra 2 hours a day of "me" time that I used to spend on the road.
That's wonderful! I'm so glad to hear that you're happy in Youngstown!

I wish I could find an extra two hours of "me" and I don't even work!

Old 09-17-2007, 03:37 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,931,019 times
Hadn't checked this site all weekend, but glad to see this thread. Generally, I think that Pittsburgh has a large and diverse gay population. And we all seem to get along pretty well with the general population. We have club kids, we have middle-aged Shadyside couples (I'm one of those), and we have the suburban gays who like a plot of land. One bar you forgot to mention, boylocke, is Brewers in Lawrenceville. Now before you recoil in disgust, as I used to, let me just say that to walk in there you'd never think it was a gay bar. It gets a more blue-collar crowd of mechanics, truck drivers, laborers, etc., but they are the nicest and friendliest group around. The bar sponsors one of the gay softball teams, the Missfits, and everybody goes there after their games. There are a couple other bars in Lawrenceville, also.

And outside of the bar culture, Pittsburgh is fortunate to have over 100 gay organizations to fill almost any interest.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:44 PM

457 posts, read 427,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Hadn't checked this site all weekend, but glad to see this thread. Generally, I think that Pittsburgh has a large and diverse gay population. And we all seem to get along pretty well with the general population. We have club kids, we have middle-aged Shadyside couples (I'm one of those), and we have the suburban gays who like a plot of land. One bar you forgot to mention, boylocke, is Brewers in Lawrenceville. Now before you recoil in disgust, as I used to, let me just say that to walk in there you'd never think it was a gay bar. It gets a more blue-collar crowd of mechanics, truck drivers, laborers, etc., but they are the nicest and friendliest group around. The bar sponsors one of the gay softball teams, the Missfits, and everybody goes there after their games. There are a couple other bars in Lawrenceville, also.

And outside of the bar culture, Pittsburgh is fortunate to have over 100 gay organizations to fill almost any interest.
He's right Boylocke. Some of the best times I had in the Pittsburgh bars were at Brewers. The clientele can get a little "rough" at times, but, it was always comfortable and there was none of the pretentiousness that you find at some bars.

I met quite a few characters there! I was young and hot(speaking of pretensiousness, lol) and I never felt like a piece of meat there. I am glad to know that it is still there Geeo. Perhaps I will stop in there with my partner when we get home. Was one of the bartenders there named Gary? I seem to recall the name.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:05 PM

Yes yes. But Brewers is more of an older crowd that I'm not really familiar with. I've never been there, personally. There is also the Blue Moon (something like that) over there, too.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:25 PM

255 posts, read 1,090,333 times
Wink My Gay Pittsburgh Experience

When my wife and I first visited the 'Burgh we went into The 941 Saloon on Liberty not realzing it was a gay bar.

I didn't dawn on me until I saw one girl kiss another and a guy sitting on another dude's lap.

It didn't look very gay then, but I went back recently since I was going to see a musical next door to there and had a drink. Some gay guys were chatting me up but alas, my buns belong to my wife.

Anyway, it looks alot gayer now.

Wait a minute...a gay bar and then a musical? Maybe there's something I need to realize about myself...

Old 09-17-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder18 View Post
When my wife and I first visited the 'Burgh we went into The 941 Saloon on Liberty not realzing it was a gay bar.

I didn't dawn on me until I saw one girl kiss another and a guy sitting on another dude's lap.

It didn't look very gay then, but I went back recently since I was going to see a musical next door to there and had a drink. Some gay guys were chatting me up but alas, my buns belong to my wife.

Anyway, it looks alot gayer now.

Wait a minute...a gay bar and then a musical? Maybe there's something I need to realize about myself...
You just made my day! I am sitting here literally, LMAO! Thank you!

Old 09-17-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
You just made my day! I am sitting here literally, LMAO! Thank you!
Ditto!

Story time!

About eight years ago (before I came out to my parents), I was in Manchester, England with my dad and grandmother (who is from England). I was a bit young, but my dad wanted to go out to some of the local bars as the Manchester Soccer (football) game was on.

For those of you who don't know, soccer (football) is huge in England and most of Europe. They get into like we get into American football, or more so! Anyway, my dad got back after a few hours and said he had seen a few bars but there was one he particularly liked!

He went into a certain bar and all the guys were really friendly and were singing and cheering on the game arm in arm and shoulder to shoulder. They bought him drinks and told him jokes and just seemed to be exceptionally friendly and exciting. My dad then said the name of the bar and my Auntie (a Manchester native) said softly,

"Oh no, Peter, that's a gay bar!"

My dad looked straight ahead and didn't say a word and quietly thought to himself for about a minute... and then he slowly nodded his head and said,

"UH WELL! I'm going back tomorrow!"

hahahahaha. Love him!

Old 09-17-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
Ditto!

Story time!

About eight years ago (before I came out to my parents), I was in Manchester, England with my dad and grandmother (who is from England). I was a bit young, but my dad wanted to go out to some of the local bars as the Manchester Soccer (football) game was on.

For those of you who don't know, soccer (football) is huge in England and most of Europe. They get into like we get into American football, or more so! Anyway, my dad got back after a few hours and said he had seen a few bars but there was one he particularly liked!

He went into a certain bar and all the guys were really friendly and were singing and cheering on the game arm in arm and shoulder to shoulder. They bought him drinks and told him jokes and just seemed to be exceptionally friendly and exciting. My dad then said the name of the bar and my Auntie (a Manchester native) said softly,

"Oh no, Peter, that's a gay bar!"

My dad looked straight ahead and didn't say a word and quietly thought to himself for about a minute... and then he slowly nodded his head and said,

"UH WELL! I'm going back tomorrow!"

hahahahaha. Love him!

You guys need to stop! My sides actually HURT now! That is TOO funny! LOL

Can you top THAT one Elder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh