Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 11:52 AM

510 posts, read 905,774 times

Advertisements

Is there anything to be done for azalea bushes? Ours are about four feet tall so I cannot think of what could cover them. Or might they be okay? I am completely a novice gardener, but the bushes just started blooming, and they are beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 11:58 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffy71 View Post
Is there anything to be done for azalea bushes? Ours are about four feet tall so I cannot think of what could cover them. Or might they be okay? I am completely a novice gardener, but the bushes just started blooming, and they are beautiful!
Cover or let nature take its course. They may make it through that. My Azaleas are about done blooming, so I don't care one way or the other. This storm warning will probably be nothing. I get so tired of the sky falling crap I really stopped paying attention to that stuff. Now they have a new weather designation called "Catastrophic". I mean what is next from the hyped up weather storm teams? What a joke. Whatever the weather is, it is what it is. I don't trust these weather teams at all. Just in it for ratings like any other news source.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:34 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
It's really haevy on jargon, but here is a portion of the NWS' "Forecast Discussion" as it applies to the possible snow:

(Bold added)

Basically what it says is that because it's fairly warm, we could get a few inches of really heavy, wet snow. If it were 20 degrees, in the middle of February, this storm could bring 20+ inches.

Great snowman making snow, but the kind that'll bring down trees, especially since they're getting leaves on them now. Trees falling bring down power lines.

A few years ago, PA had road condition information publically available on the internet. They don't any more, but Ohio still has it: Buckeye Traffic

As of this posting, pavement temperatures along the easternmost edge of Ohio are all in the low 40s. Chances are that in 24 hours they'll be lower still. Enough snow, falling at night so the sun isn't out to help it melt, could very well stick, for a while at least...
This is what I was thinking exactly. Although I've lived in Pittsburgh my whole life, and most of the time they say its gonna snow 6 inches and we get 2, I think this MAY be different. Due to the formation of the storm, its going to be very heavy snow and quick falling. It may snow that much, then melt within the next 2 days or something. Definitely something to watch.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:44 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,577 times
I take these (any nasty weather predictions) to be my reminder to check my preparedness equipment.

Fired up the generators (glad I did since one wasn't working right and it gave me ample time to fix the carb issue), checked the flashlights, verified alternate heating and cooking equipment is fully operational...

I believe people should be prepared for snow, power outages... so there's no panic or otherwise if the poop does hit the air circulation device.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:53 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I take these (any nasty weather predictions) to be my reminder to check my preparedness equipment.

Fired up the generators (glad I did since one wasn't working right and it gave me ample time to fix the carb issue), checked the flashlights, verified alternate heating and cooking equipment is fully operational...

I believe people should be prepared for snow, power outages... so there's no panic or otherwise if the poop does hit the air circulation device.
Probably a good idea. Never hurts to be prepared even if it doesn't happen.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:21 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
I read this afternoon that some areas can expect to be without power for week! Yikes. That's terrible.

If plants are small enough, cut milk jugs in half to put over the poor little plants.

Cold rain for two days is no fun, but damaging snow is far, far, worse. Stay safe folks in PA!

Old 04-22-2012, 10:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Thanks for the ideas for protecting my garden. Sadly, they won't work. My perrenial garden beds are huge. I don't own enough laundry baskets and milk jugs. If they die off, hopefully they'll grow back later this season. Here I was expecting a beautiful summer garden. If not, there's always next year---that's the beauty of perennials.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
My indoor/outdoor cheap $65 weather station is correct 98% of the time. Cloudy with thunderstorms.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:40 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Just talked to my Mom, she said Pittsburgh is getting nothing but Rain and she said the weather last night called for 4-6 inches....Really makes you wonder what is media hype and what is accurate weather reporting...

Old 04-23-2012, 04:31 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Just talked to my Mom, she said Pittsburgh is getting nothing but Rain and she said the weather last night called for 4-6 inches....Really makes you wonder what is media hype and what is accurate weather reporting...
I quoted the NWS Forecast Discussion earlier. For some insight into why this forecast might differ from earlier ones, or from the weather we actually get, here's the latest one:

Quote:
AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
402 AM EDT MON APR 23 2012

.SYNOPSIS...
DEEP LOW PRESSURE WILL SPREAD RAIN AND SNOW ACROSS THE UPPER OHIO
VALLEY REGION TODAY. SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATION IS POSSIBLE IN SOME
AREAS...ESPECIALLY OVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

&&

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...

-- Changed Discussion --
UPR LEVEL LOW PRESSURE CONTINUES TO DEVELOP TOWARD THE UPPER OHIO
REGION THIS MORNING AS SURFACE LOW MOVES UP THE EAST COAST. RADAR
TRENDS IN THE POST MIDNGT HOURS INDICATED HEAVIEST PRECIP
DEVELOPED OVER NEW YORK...IN THE FAVORABLE FRONTOGENESIS AREA TO
THE NORTH OF THE 700MB CENTER.

MEANWHILE...LIGHT RAIN AND SNOW WERE FALLING OVER THE UPR OH VALLEY
IN THE PREDAWN...BUT ALL TEMPERATURES EXCEPT FOR THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS
REMAINED ABOVE FREEZING. THIS AREA OF PCPN COINCIDED NICELY WITH
DIFFLUENCE AREA ON THE NORTHEASTERN FLANK OF 500 MB LOW CENTER
ANALYZED OVR WEST VIRGINIA.

IN GENERAL...LATEST MODEL DEPICTIONS OF SNOW AMOUNTS AND BOUNDARY
LAYER TEMPERATURES HAVE SHIFTED DRAMATICALLY...
ESPECIALLY IN THE
NAM SOLUTION. MUCH WILL DEPEND ON THOSE TEMPERATURES...DEVELOPMENT
OF MID LEVEL FRONTOGENESIS AREA...WHICH WOULD SUPPORT HIGHER
SNOWFALL RATES...AS WELL AS ENCROACMENT OF MID LEVEL DRY SLOT.
LATEST UPDATE THUS FEATURES MAINTENANCE OF WINTER STORM WARNINGS
AND ADVISORY...BUT HAVE RETREATED SOME FROM SNOW AMOUNTS DURING
THE OVERNIGHT HOURS.
SNOW FORECAST WAS COMPLETED USING TWEAKED
HPC NUMBERS.
(Bold added)

You have to understand that they forecast based on computer models, and use their own experience to decide just how right the models may be before issuing a forecast. It's an inexact science, but I do believe the NWS is sincere in trying to get it right.

Do the media hype weather forecasts? Hell yes! Even when the forecast on Channel 11 is for 70 degrees and sunny we have to go to the "Severe Weather Center" to get it, don't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh