Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 12:35 PM

424 posts, read 627,663 times

Advertisements

No to public funding, but yes to the idea of newer, safer, cheaper, better, and better-managed apartments in Oakland.

Places that students can afford without living in a dilapidated house with boarded-up windows, a sinking porch, and a trash garden out front. Maybe that's the nature of student ghettos, and the frat guys and tri-delts do that to themselves, but I'd love to see some affordable options in the area that have been cared for in the past three decades.

I shudder each time I see yet another new "luxury apartment" building going up, while students and regular people get priced further out and further back in time.

Anyway, if Oakland is going to be a real neighborhood and not just one for transients there for a year or two, it will need more shopping options. And I'm still hoping for a T station in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 02:04 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,945,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryThrush View Post
No to public funding, but yes to the idea of newer, safer, cheaper, better, and better-managed apartments in Oakland. . . . I shudder each time I see yet another new "luxury apartment" building going up, while students and regular people get priced further out and further back in time.
I understand where you are coming from, but you are running up against some hard economic realities.

If a private developer brings a new, safe, better, better-managed apartment building to market in Oakland, it is not also going to be cheaper. A little of that is going to be cost-driven, but ultimately it is a supply and demand issue: lots of people with higher incomes would want to live in an apartment building like that in Oakland, and so our private developer is going to price it accordingly.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:55 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,871,382 times
Forget Oakland its maxed out and already serves a purpose, no room to do anything in Oakland, everything must be done in neighborhoods that flank it.

Uptown could strongly fill any void of Apartment/Loft demand that feeds both Oakland and Downtown....I see Uptown more strongly attracting Oakland Professional more so than Downtown (especially if we can ever get BRT established all the way up Fifth). Downtown still has plenty of space to satisfy those that want to be in the center live/work/play. Oakland on the other hand as I described above is maxed out, so from the Oakland Portal all the way to and through Uptown you have this wide open canvas to feed Oakland's needs.

Uptown has the most potential of any neighborhood of having a strong apartment/loft community filled with Yuppies. It the perfect location to damn-near EVERYTHING..

Here's an update on Fifth Av High School, with some walk through pics as well.

Quote:
Yet so far so good for the $10.5 million project, which was made possible by tax credits. Nationally registered as an historic landmark, the Fifth Avenue School should prove a major boost for its Uptown neighborhood, given the size and focal location of the property in the neighborhood, they said.

Featuring ceilings high enough to establish lofts on the lower floors, Steiner and Hill expect the building to draw significant interest because of its large floor plans. One bedroom units in the building are typically more than 1,000 square feet, which Steiner said was larger than some two-bedroom apartments he rents out in Shadyside. Monthly rents range from $725 to $800 for a 390-square-foot studio to $2,000 to $2,950 for a two- to three-bedroom units.

SLIDESHOW: Inside the 5th Avenue School Lofts - Pittsburgh Business Times

Old 04-24-2012, 03:49 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,899,519 times
Imagine how much pot has been smoked, and pizza delivered, in the depths of South Oakland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh