Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:04 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,094,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Generally it looks like there is not much available there at the moment
There hasn't been much available there for the last year or so, looks like owners are holding out as the prices are trending upwards.

I agree with you, that now would be a good time to buy in one of the neighborhoods near Regent Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 10:35 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,019,980 times
I love this house in Bloomfield. Has a yard too.

Fairly typical Lawrenceville rowhouse which has had a lot of work done inside.

Larger home on the north side. Seems someone got halfway through a rehab and abandoned it.

This friendship duplex has everything you want...almost. Good size, low price, big yard for a dog, and a great neighborhood for dog walking in general. That said, I think it's kinda fugly from the outside.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:05 PM

34 posts, read 93,833 times
These are nice "after" pictures. I want the "befores."

Old 05-06-2012, 10:05 PM

118 posts, read 235,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenblue View Post
Ok. To clear some things up: I am moving from Chicago. I am originally from Chicago. I am used to a certain amount of activity, so to speak. I want to be in a neighborhood that is appreciating. Walk to Pitt is OK but being able to walk the neighborhood is better, if that makes sense. I will be in Pittsburgh a minimum of 3-4 years. I am happy to renovate; I've done it many times before. I don't know if I like Lawrenceville's lack of attractive, historic housing. Bloomfield is similarly sad. I love Mexican war streets (thanks for pointing it out!) but figure I will have to be patient and wait until some POS goes on the market, provided there are any that still meet tha description. I am a visual artist and need room for my studio -
condo is not an option.
I would rent for a year, learn the different neighborhoods of the city, and then make a decision. Pittsburgh has a variety of neighborhoods with distinguishing characteristics. You'll still have viable options a year from now, but you'll have a better understanding of how the city fits your preferences.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:09 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,010,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_burgher View Post
I would rent for a year, learn the different neighborhoods of the city, and then make a decision. Pittsburgh has a variety of neighborhoods with distinguishing characteristics. You'll still have viable options a year from now, but you'll have a better understanding of how the city fits your preferences.
This is excellent advice. I'd add if you start out renting you could look for the right opportunity at your leisure, and not feel constrained by needing to find a place to live.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:58 PM

34 posts, read 93,833 times
So. East Liberty. Go.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,822 times
Moving from Omaha saw Trenton ave in regent square area? Any word on wht this area is like?

Old 05-21-2012, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,822 times
Default Good area in the burgh

Is Trenton ave in regent square a good area

Old 05-21-2012, 07:28 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenblue View Post
I'm a single gal with a dog. I am attending Pitt this fall as a grad student. I have thought about buying something or renting - wasn't sure how I could with my dog (he is 60 lbs, show dog, sleeps on the couch, very well-behaved) because it seems like a lot of places are not dog-friendly or else very expensive. I will have a stipend and additional income from a second job. I'm not afraid to remodel. I've been looking a little online and it seems like I'm mostly priced out of Squirrel Hill and Shadyside. I want to walk to things and don't mind being in the middle of everything. I want to be able to walk to campus everyday, even if it's a longish walk. Ideas?

I'm looking to spend <150k if possible. I am approved up to $210k but that would have to be a duplex or triplex. I'd rather pick the neighborhood over the condition of the house. Any ideas on where to look? Should I give up on Shadyside or Squirrel Hill given my pricepoint?
Since you're from Chicago, you probably well know that you don't want to spend a long time walking outside in the winter. Add Wilkinsburg to the other suggestions everyone gave- it's an appreciating area and along a bus line to the Pitt campus

Old 05-21-2012, 08:07 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,010,585 times
Trenton south of Union (the Regent Square part) is very nice.

Trenton as you are heading north of Trenton Square gets more transitional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh