Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:16 AM

439 posts, read 1,474,691 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this was posted or discussed already, at work and didn't have time to look:

Port Authority's failures frustrate fans, runners - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Was planning on taking the T down to the game on 5/25, but it seems pointless......

I wonder if they will have extended service for Steeler games, otherwise why build the bridge from the Allegheny station to Heinz field??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 AM

349 posts, read 616,270 times
...I was at Saturdays game. It took me a grand total of 6 minutes to WALK across the bridge.

Why the hell would anyone wait 45 minutes to take the T? I could see if it were snowing, raining hard, or so blistering-ly hot... but it was a cool, comfortable 70 degrees.

If you're gonna go to the game, go. And don't worry about the T if that's such a concern. Walk the bridge, it takes just a few minutes.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint It Pink View Post
...I was at Saturdays game. It took me a grand total of 6 minutes to WALK across the bridge.

Why the hell would anyone wait 45 minutes to take the T? I could see if it were snowing, raining hard, or so blistering-ly hot... but it was a cool, comfortable 70 degrees.

If you're gonna go to the game, go. And don't worry about the T if that's such a concern. Walk the bridge, it takes just a few minutes.
If you live near another T stop, it could potentially make more sense to just take the T the whole way, rather than to drive downtown and then walk.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:35 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
The immediate short-staffing issue was obviously just a mistake, and the lack of funding for extended service isn't really a reflection on the infrastructure itself.

Still, I think people need to be realistic about exactly how much peak capacity you can squeeze out of a single light rail line, even with no funding constraints.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:43 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The immediate issue was obviously just a mistake, and the lack of funding for extended service isn't really a reflection on the infrastructure itself.

Still, I think people need to be realistic about exactly how much peak capacity you can squeeze out of a single light rail line, even with no funding constraints.
I think politicians should have been realistic about it and put the new stops in actual residential areas, where a more steady stream of riders can be found. They placed the stations in areas that are conductive to infrequent, but high volume, bursts of riders, even though the system can't handle that very effectively.

That said, even living a 15 minute walk from either of the new stations I have used them a lot more than I expected. Since it's opened I've made 6 round trips, which isn't bad for only a couple months and considering that I don't use it for commuting. It's just too bad that they weren't placed where it could replace more bus commutes to downtown.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:45 AM

349 posts, read 616,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
If you live near another T stop, it could potentially make more sense to just take the T the whole way, rather than to drive downtown and then walk.

Or you could walk for 10 minutes and get to several bus stops, parking garages, or the T stops downtown.

I'm not familiar if all T's now go to the north shore, or if it's a separate line- I haven't been on it yet.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:46 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
I think politicians should have been realistic about it and put the new stops in actual residential areas, where a more steady stream of riders can be found. They placed the stations in areas that are conductive to infrequent, but high volume, bursts of riders, even though the system can't handle that very effectively.

That said, even living a 15 minute walk from either of the new stations I have used them a lot more than I expected. Since it's opened I've made 6 round trips, which isn't bad for only a couple months and considering that I don't use it for commuting. It's just too bad that they weren't placed where it could replace more bus commutes to downtown.
This is very true. As nice as it is for us to use the new section for free, building the new section just to PNC, Heinz, etc will mainly encourage use during games and events, and leave it relatively empty most of the time. Commuters give the most revenue, not a surge of riders a couple times a month.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:53 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Anyone who has ever been to other transit-heavy cities that are linked to the stadiums know how that can be. Ever tried to get to Fenway on the T in Boston? This is hardly a Pittsburgh issue.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Indeed. Unfortunately (or fortunately, I guess), the relevant politicians are all long-gone.

But what we can do now is build the sort of neighborhood around the NSC that it should have gone to in the first place. Not ideal, but not worthless either.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:12 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
While we're on the subject of the new T stops, has anyone else noticed that the new north shore T stop smells like a moldy cellar? Do they not have proper ventilation in there or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh