Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 02:49 AM

39 posts, read 118,589 times

Advertisements

I've purchased a home just of Brighton Road close to Legion Park in Brighton Heights. Seems quite and safe at night. Seems like a pretty good, stable city neighborhood from first impressions. It seems like the closer one gets to the river or California Ave the worse the area gets. The forum has varying information on the area although most are dated. Any new thoughts/comments?

Anything I need to know about the area in particular?
Is it safe?
Is it in decline, stable or upswing?
Anything else relevant that I should know?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 06:17 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Safe yes, and stable for the most part. I think it will improve, although being an outer neighborhood like Brookline hurts it, I think. Also, like Brookline, not in the East End, which explains its affordability. The up-and-coming areas of the North Side are closer to downtown (Deutschtown, Manchester, etc.). Brighton Heights is a very pleasant neighborhood.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:53 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Safe and stable.

My sibling flipped a few houses there for a nice profit. If you didn't overpay, your property will maintain value or slowly increase.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback....it takes me about 10 minutes to get down town and to the stadiums. I figure that may be a good thing a well. Also the big River View Park is minutes from the house...very nice.

Any good businesses that folks on here recommend in this area?

Thanks

Old 05-10-2012, 03:57 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
Still nice yet in decline without a doubt! This year there's been two fatal shootings & this week there's been two home invasions on Baytoven Way...
*North of Davis Avenue, Brighton Heights= very nice, stable, safe
*South of Davis Ave, Brighton Heights= livable but "iffy"; slow, although notable decline...
There are groups of neighborhood drug dealers and ever since they formed violent crime has increased. Also, south Brighton Heights for the most part isn't well kept and is becoming more like near by Marshall-Shadeland! Plus ever since 2009ish inner city youth from near by Perry Hilltop, Marshall-Shadeland & the NorthView Heights Projects have been flocking to southern Brighton Heights for recreational purposes. South Brighton Heights is also affordable & iffy enough that gang members from other parts of the Northside (Manchester/Northview Heights/Brighton Place) can live there.

Bottom line: It's location plus the combination of criminals & the rough crowd is making most streets of South Brighton Heights iffy.
Key point: Although the occasional drug/near by neighborhood-related violence happens it isn't serious enough to make Brighton Heigts north or south undesirable. If you have street smarts and aren't apart of the criminal lifestyle you'll be fine... Overall the area is very nice and it's one of currently one of the good sections of the Northside (even though most of the southern part is voing through a bit of a slump).

Old 05-10-2012, 06:00 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
There are a lot of nice businesses in Bellevue on Lincoln Ave (their business district). I recommend The Rusty Nail restaurant!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:12 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
There are a lot of nice businesses in Bellevue on Lincoln Ave (their business district). I recommend The Rusty Nail restaurant!
That's not a very appealing name for a restaurant.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:28 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
This thread inspired me to walk around Brighton Heights today (ended up walking all the way to Marshall-Shadeland before turning back). I would say by far this area had the most decay: Brighton Heights, Pittsburgh, PA - Google Maps (along with some hicks on their porch screaming obscenities.) The area south of Davis seemed nice enough although I did notice little things such as the sidewalks being in more disrepair (etc.) Overall, Brighton Heights is a beautiful neighborhood in a great location (one could essentially walk to downtown from there if they wanted to.) Anyways, thought that I would contribute

Old 05-12-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
This thread inspired me to walk around Brighton Heights today (ended up walking all the way to Marshall-Shadeland before turning back). I would say by far this area had the most decay: Brighton Heights, Pittsburgh, PA - Google Maps (along with some hicks on their porch screaming obscenities.) The area south of Davis seemed nice enough although I did notice little things such as the sidewalks being in more disrepair (etc.) Overall, Brighton Heights is a beautiful neighborhood in a great location (one could essentially walk to downtown from there if they wanted to.) Anyways, thought that I would contribute
That's great to hear....California Ave doesn't seem too nice. I think if that were cleaned up the neighborhood would be even better. Hopefully more folks move in and keep renovating these old houses which have a ton of potential.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 PM

36 posts, read 41,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
That's not a very appealing name for a restaurant.
It's actually quite good.
I lived in Bellevue and explored Brighton heights a bit. I agree the southern area is a bit dodgy but I still think it is a nice area. Just use common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh