Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 03:01 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,502,029 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am posting this in order to ask if there are any charter schools affiliated with this Turkish man in Pittsburgh.

U.S. charter schools tied to powerful Turkish imam - CBS News
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 03:08 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,000,224 times
If this becomes a big deal, a lot of the focus will be on the Islamic factor, eventhough it's not taught in the schools. The major issue to me is buried on the last page of the story. That they are bringing in Turkish teachers and claiming there are no Americans available for these jobs. There are thousands and thousands of licensed teachers out of work in this country, so no one's going to convince me there are no American teachers available for these jobs.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:28 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,502,029 times
Sparrowmint, could you please answer my question if you know: are there schools affiliated with him in Pgh? If yes what are they? This is all I want to know and this is why I posted here. Thank you.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:44 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,907,757 times
Some have suggested that Young Scholars of Western PA might be affiliated with Gulen in some way, but to my knowledge that was just speculative on their part.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:02 PM

9,317 posts, read 12,929,928 times
Honestly, after reading the article, there are far worse people with whom these schools could be affiliated.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:02 PM

268 posts, read 383,692 times
none that i am aware of...

Old 05-15-2012, 04:32 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,955,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Some have suggested that Young Scholars of Western PA might be affiliated with Gulen in some way, but to my knowledge that was just speculative on their part.
It does seem to be acknowledged that sister YS of PA schools in State College and Philly are affiliated with Gulen, so makes sense that YS of WPa would be as well.

Reading the comments on the linked article, certainly seems parents are happy with the schools. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around Texans embracing Turks, but seems most commenters there are satisfied with the product, especially compared to what they were getting in public schools.

Seems to me, this being America and all, the point shouldn't be to put down these charters on the basis of unproven allegations of some insidious religious plot but to learn from them so our own schools can compete in math and science. Because for the most part, the US sucks at math and science and it's getting worse every year.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:49 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,907,757 times
Right, if the Turkish math and science teachers were preaching Islam, or anything else typical American parents would have found objectionable, those parents would have gone ballistic, and the schools would have failed to attract a broad cross-section of students.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:55 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,765,412 times
I did see the article on 60 mins. After being educated in a different country, I can see why charters work so well. They are totally focused on education, wear uniforms, make school interesting for kids and realize that educating our children is our future.

I have no experience in the schools in pittsburgh yet, but I am sure I will understand more within the year. My kids go to school in NY now and some of the teachers want to be the students best friends, they are totally unorganized. Funny, the teachers that my kids learn the best from are the strictest teachers that no student wants. They are the teachers that are totally organized, care so much for the kids and want them to suceed.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,722,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I did see the article on 60 mins. After being educated in a different country, I can see why charters work so well. They are totally focused on education, wear uniforms, make school interesting for kids and realize that educating our children is our future.
I'm not aware of a charter that use school uniforms here. There might be a rare few, but it's not the norm here for charters. If you want school uniforms, you need to go the private school route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh