Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:09 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I remember the Brownsville of 2008... vibrant... no storefront vacancy... growing economy and population... it was wonderful.
Yeah, 90% population loss in five years. It doesn't help that the ninja biker gangs have staked their territory, and have also begun harassing motorists on I-70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I remember the West Brownsville borough official crowing that they are shown on the PA Official Transportation and Tourism Map in larger type than Brownsville.
Hooray for West Brownsville, I guess. Maybe one of these days they'll get to McKeesport's level.

By the way, the first step in municipal consolidation is to eliminate all the "north/south/east/west" towns that are adjacent to the towns they're named after. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, East Pittsburgh and Southwest Greensburg.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 02:27 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
By the way, the first step in municipal consolidation is to eliminate all the "north/south/east/west" towns that are adjacent to the towns they're named after. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, East Pittsburgh and Southwest Greensburg.)
There are actually a couple munis between East Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
I just have to add that I think Brownsville is one of the most beautiful places in the Pittsburgh region. Yes, the main business district is abandoned, and there are a lot of abandoned buildings. However, the scenery in the area, and the views of the river from the city, are out of this world. There is a fantastic riverfront park. The early 19th century architecture (streets of restored homes dating back to 1806, and some even earlier, marked with historical plaques), the churches, the riverboat history, the old cemeteries with ancient grave stones, the pioneer spirit of the town that still comes through.. Most importantly, the feeling that you are in a place of great historical importance to western Pennsylvania. And the shock of seeing one of our oldest (and most intact) cities abandoned and awaiting an uncertain future. At the same time, there is a strange charm and ambiance in the place simply because it has a Norma Desmond vibe to it. Its past glory days are over, the evidence of those days is all around!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:31 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
I love places like this in PA. Really eerie but charming.

Downtown Oil City is half way to being like this too, only the place itself is on a much larger scale (there are people living in and around the area but the downtown is deserted).

Old 05-16-2012, 11:25 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,369 times
Quote:
The Neck could be transformed into a Main Street-style outlet mall, a la Grove City, and all the people using the evolving Mon-Fayette Expressway, from Morgantown, W.Va., to Pittsburgh, could come and make a day of it.

"It's the midpoint of a $2 billion road," Ernest Liggett said, selling the dream they've failed to sell to developers. "So that's kind of a no-brainer."
Well there you have it, these people bet everything on the MFE which we all know now will never be finished. Sad, because it's another little treasure trove of architecture that will likely decay until it meets the wrecking ball.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:45 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
it's been a dump for as long as I've been alive (almost 4 decades)

Old 05-18-2012, 01:52 AM

68 posts, read 124,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Well there you have it, these people bet everything on the MFE which we all know now will never be finished. Sad, because it's another little treasure trove of architecture that will likely decay until it meets the wrecking ball.
Next month, phase 2 of the Uniontown-Brownsville section of the MFE will open to traffic. Once that happens, there will be 60 straight miles of expressway from I-68 in Cheat Lake, WV to PA 51 in Allegheny County. That's a significant accomplishment.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:59 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
Sad part is, the MFE drops you off a good 20+ miles away from Pittsburgh on one of the worst roads for traffic in the area. As it currently stands, it is essentially a highway to nowhere

Old 05-18-2012, 06:43 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
I actually drove the MFE today - all of it, from PA 51 to I-68 (including as yet US 40 crossing the Mon and above Brownsville). From PA 51 to I-70 I saw about one car every mile - in morning rush hour. It picks up south of I-70 - a little. Signage and speed limits and toll booths are pretty inconsistent, from whiz by at 55 with EZpass to wait for a barrier to go up.

With the talk of raising the speed limit on the Turnpike, maybe they should raise the limit to 90 mph from PA 51 to I-70 to get the sports car crowd at least paying toll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh