Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:47 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times

Advertisements

What is the time of day again?

Just thinking one that hasn't been mentioned:

Smithfield St Bridge, left on Ft Pitt Blvd (at far end of bridge), straight all the way down (past Stanwix, past Post-Gazette, past the Ft Pitt Museum) which becomes a ramp onto the Ft Duquesne Bridge/279 N. Merge over to far right lane. Take ramp behind PNC Park to 28 N.

This is not really a big problem unless you're doing it in the afternoon rush time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 11:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
It was an easy drive out 28 from town this evening at 5:30 for me, with the ramp closed.

Crossed 9th St and got on 28 from there and it was clear sailing all the way out without folks merging from the Vets Bridge.
This is the best option.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:36 AM

Just to clarify what people are talking about with "9th Street" and add a tiny bit to WhoIsStanwix's description, it would be:

Smithfield St Bridge
Left on Ft Pitt Blvd
All the way down to end, past Stanwix, past Post-Gazette building
Bear right onto Commonwealth Place
Follow that to the end
Bear right onto Ft Duquesne Blvd
Left at 9th Street Bridge (aka Rachel Carson Bridge)
Right at 28 N ramp (first light on other side of bridge)

You could also just turn right at Stanwix instead of going all the way to Commonwealth. Not sure which of those would be faster.

I'd say it's debatable whether this surface route would be better than jumping onto the Ft Duquesne Bridge and off on the 28 N ramp. If you hit the lights right, the surface might be as quick, but certainly not always. And depends upon time of day.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:45 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Sorry, I thought she needed to get to the North Side.

Here are some ways I would go from the South Side to my home which is a stone's throw from St. Margaret's.

1. 10th St. Bridge - Armstrong Tunnel - Rt. Forbes - Left Chatham Square - to 579- to 28N
2. 10th St. Bridge - Armstrong Tunnel - Rt. Forbes - Left Chatham Square - to Bigalow to East Liberty and down through the zoo across the Highland Park Bridge.
3. 10th St. Bridge - Rt. Second Ave. - Rt. Bates - up through Oakland and to 5th and to Highland Park Bridge.

4. I like Spam's Idea was okay : How about across the Birmingham Bridge, straight up Kirkpatrick, right on Reed, straight on Centre to East Liberty down to HPB.

If you want to cycle, You can ride up through Panther Hollow Trail up to 5th to Ellsworth and to Highland, to the Zoo and down to HPB and you are there.

Hope some of this helps. There are a ton of ways from the South Side to St. M's. Nice to have that many choices. Don't go through Lawrenceville or Bloomfield. That isn't smart. Stay out of the city proper. My ways are all better than small streets in the city and Lawrenceville.
Oops, on number 3, that should be Left on Bates. This would be my last choice, but if there is construction or whatever on 28 somewhere, this would avoid it totally. There is no great way to get from the South Side to St. Margaret's, but the first direction I gave you is really simple and traffic shouldn't be bad. I don't think I would go down to the Smithfield St. Bridge because that area can be more congested, but it would work.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
the first direction I gave you is really simple and traffic shouldn't be bad.
The whole point of the thread is because the ramp from 579 to 28 is closed for a couple months. That was the way she was going and she is now needing an alternate route. So your first direction, while I agree is very simple, isn't an option right now.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:32 PM

4 posts, read 5,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
St margeret's at the waterworks mall? You must have something confused.

Anyway, she could go through downtown somehow and get on 28 from east Ohio street (via liberty ave/16th street bridge for example). Or maybe get onto Bigelow, Go into Bloomfield, down into lawrenceville on main street, and across the 40th street bridge (if it's open that way?) to 28.
Bingo, that worked great this morning. Thanks!

Old 05-17-2012, 03:00 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
How about across the Birmingham Bridge, straight up Kirkpatrick, right on Reed, straight on Centre.

Make a left on Herron, across the Herron Bridge straight on Ligonier, left onto 34th, right on Butler and go across the Washington Crossing.

-------------------

Another alternative would be take 5th Avenue out through Shadyside and make a left on Negley, follow your nose down to Butler St., make a right and cross the Allegheny at Highland Park.
You are suggesting this route for a female traveling alone? I would never suggest someone up Kirkpatrick. Not a good route.

I would suggest driving down Carson against traffic, crossing the Birmingham Bridge, then up Forbes. Past the Cathedral of Learning, cross to Fifth Avenue. Follow Fifth til in turns into Washington Blvd which will take you all the way to the Highland Park Bridge, which is right across the river from St. Margrets.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:11 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
You are suggesting this route for a female traveling alone? I would never suggest someone up Kirkpatrick. Not a good route.
Maybe not at 2am, but at normal business hours its fine

Old 05-18-2012, 08:29 AM

110 posts, read 152,898 times
SPAM has the best suggestion. I live on the North Side and get on 28 at the Heinz plant. I hate to say this but if they never opened that ramp it would be great for me, I can fly off that exit now and be in Aspinwall at work in less then 10 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh