Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:04 PM

103 posts, read 110,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I don't know about the day's off thing, but I am very confident you can find like-minded people into just about every outdoor activity available.
Thank you I certainly will try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 08:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minthotchocolate View Post
That is of course if there are no deadlines, or anything else urgent! Works comes first, but like I said, it is not awkward to plan your schedule in a way that allows you to do what you love. It indeed depends on where you work, but regardless of the area there seem to be an understanding that work/life balance is as important for performing well at your job as plain working hard. At least this is my experience - maybe I just happened to be very lucky? I've heard that east coast is completely the opposite in this respect.
It is completely the opposite here. You won't get away with doing that here unless you call in sick. You will be expected to balance your life around your work schedule. Truly you can. It's very possible. You have two days off per week to do what you can't do in the evenings when you get off work.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:05 PM

Forgot to mention. Seven Springs snowboard freestyle parks are superior. Its terraine parks rank #1 in the northeast and #4 in the entire North America. So you're actually, in some ways, moving to a better snowboard place than where you live.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Forgot to mention. Seven Springs snowboard freestyle parks are superior. Its terraine parks rank #1 in the northeast and #4 in the entire North America. So you're actually, in some ways, moving to a better snowboard place than where you live.
Yes!! That was the first thing I researched about Pittsburgh! Looking forward to try them next winter.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:09 PM

With the money you will be saving via snowboarding in this region on nights and your days off (season passes are super cheap here), you can save your vacation days and go on a snowboard vacation elsewhere in the continent after the ski season ends here.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Check out kayaking on the Youghegheny River, near Ohiopyle. Also, the rails to trails bicycling system- you can ride all the way to DC if you really want to. West Virginia is not far away and you'll find some very good rock climbing down there, not to mention skiing. Cooper's Rocks is a popular spot. Canoeing is very good on the Allegheny River north of here; its pretty calm but very scenic. For longer trips consider Ontario and the Georgian Bay area , as well as the Outer Banks of NC- both within a day's drive.
Thanks a lot for the tips, this sounds great!

Old 05-19-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
With the money you will be saving via snowboarding in this region on nights and your days off (season passes are super cheap here), you can save your vacation days and go on a snowboard vacation elsewhere in the continent after the ski season ends here.
Indeed

Old 05-19-2012, 08:15 PM

7 posts, read 9,495 times
Quote:
It is completely the opposite here. You won't get away with doing that here unless you call in sick. You will be expected to balance your life around your work schedule. Truly you can. It's very possible. You have two days off per week to do what you can't do in the evenings when you get off work.
Yep. It's also worth mentioning that many people call in sick when they're not so they can do spontaneous things or just to take a mental day. I call in sick about 6 days per year and am only sick for 3 of those days usually. The key thing is not to call in sick too often and to spread your "sick" days out.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:18 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I don't think this area is generally opposed to the notion of having a healthy work/life balance, including time off to enjoy the outdoors. What I think would be unusual is calling off last minute a lot, but generally you shouldn't need to do that to have a lot of outdoor activity in your regular schedule.

Edit: That said, I agree people take the occasional "mental health day".

Old 05-19-2012, 08:21 PM

238 posts, read 1,505,331 times
Pittsburgh is one of the friendliest cities I have ever been to. Beautiful scenery and awesome diverse neighborhoods you don't find in most parts of the NE or Midwest. I am from Youngstown which is just up the road and the city of Pittsburgh is sooo much better. The only negative i can think of is driving there is literally mind boggling until you get accustomed to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh