U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:29 PM

3,696 posts, read 3,117,513 times
I would be sad to see that building be torn down. There are a lot of other blocks of Downtown that could use a new tower besides this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 04:38 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,240,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
If I'm not mistaken, that building used to be Frank & Seder department store.
Yep (original rendering):

Edit: By the way, I know this is tilting at windmills, but you could definitely use that facade as the base of a new tower.

Last edited by BrianTH; 05-21-2012 at 04:50 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 04:51 PM

9,871 posts, read 8,534,209 times
If Oxford is putting up a NEW tower they should be doing it on that parking lot on Grant! Sheesh. Don't they own that? They were supposed to twin the Oxford Center there originally I thought.

Dunno Brian, if it's that Frank & Seder building maybe you'll get your facade wish after all....

Old 05-21-2012, 05:05 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,338,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

After the buildings they tore down along Forbes for PNC Tower, I could easily see this project involving the destruction of that building. I get the sense the established preservationists may have written off that block for new development.
I'm fine with that if it's a tower on the scale of PNC Tower. This is a very solid old building... but not essential. A 40 story skyscraper could create a lot of value and energy along a somewhat stagnant Smithfield.

But perhaps we should wait and see...

Old 05-21-2012, 05:09 PM

1,128 posts, read 894,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I'm fine with that if it's a tower on the scale of PNC Tower. This is a very solid old building... but not essential. A 40 story skyscraper could create a lot of value and energy along a somewhat stagnant Smithfield.

But perhaps we should wait and see...
I am keeping my fingers crossed for the first 1000+ ft skyscraper but I have a feeling I will be waiting a while

Old 05-21-2012, 05:14 PM

3,747 posts, read 2,337,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I'd hate to see that building get torn down.

The proposal is for the building to be razed for a bigger and presumably better building.

It isn't like they are just tearing it down for another surface parking lot, a gas station or a fast food restaurant.

Many fine buildings have been brought down over the years, and some very excellent replacements have gone up. I remember the wails when numerous commercial buildings bit the dust for PPG Place. What we got was a lot better. Ditto for the previous generation that saw Frick remove and in one case transport 3 landmark churches on Grant St. when he built the William Penn, Union Trust and the Frick Building.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:22 PM

9,871 posts, read 8,534,209 times
Just seems stupid when there's already an empty lot one block up and over. Does that detail make all the difference? I guess it's hard to say without knowing what the proposal is for, so we'll have to wait.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:38 PM

3,747 posts, read 2,337,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Just seems stupid when there's already an empty lot one block up and over. Does that detail make all the difference? I guess it's hard to say without knowing what the proposal is for, so we'll have to wait.

It all depends on what Oxford's customers, the proposed tenants want.

Maybe they don't want to be on Grant St. and much prefer the Smithfield location - to be closer to PNC or shoppers perhaps? Even though its a relatively short distance, its also uphill.

When the whole plan is unveiled, it might become obvious.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:44 PM

9,312 posts, read 7,543,220 times
Did anybody consider that Oxford Development could have bought the property they did because of the potential visual impact on the skyline? Even after the Tower at PNC Plaza gets built, there will still be a bit of a gap in the skyline between Grant Street and Wood Street when viewed from Mount Washington, and a new skyscraper to the east of there will fill in the gap nicely, and add even more visual balance.

As the skyline exists right now, the best view is from the west, and the next-best view is from the north. The view from the south isn't as remarkable simply because of the height gap between Grant Street and Stanwix Street, but thankfully the Tower at PNC Plaza will correct that somewhat. And I think we can all agree that the view from the east is the worst, and there needs to be a couple of mid-rises built east of Grant Street so we don't have the city's tallest skyscrapers right next to nothing at all.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:48 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,240,380 times
I agree PNC Tower could use some company in the future skyline, although I doubt that is Oxford's motivation per se.

Personally, I would love to see something get done with the lot containing the CVS building at Smithfield and Forbes, and of course the Saks plot is now available as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh