Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 04:03 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I've traveled to every NFL city except Green Bay. None hold a candle to Pittsburgh when it comes to wearing NFL/NHL gear in public outside on non-game days. In fact, it's not even close.

I use NYC as a good illustration: the NYC metro has two NFL teams, two NHL teams, and two MLB teams. I've been there during game days of all varieties, including playoff and championship games, and you would never know that anything is going on if you weren't aware of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 04:37 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
I doubt you would hold the same opinion if you are ever in Green Bay on game day.
I would expect a city of 65,000 that for all intents and purposes shouldn't have a major league team in any sport - and one where most families are shareholders of said team - to be obsessive about it. It's the only thing they've got to promote themselves.

I also note you mentioned game day while I was pointing out everyday wearing of black and gold as part of one's regular daily wardrobe. On game days, New Orleans or Kansas City or Denver could give Pittsburgh a run. But not on a Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
I've noticed that Colts fans can be pretty obsessive too, but then again I've spent a lot of time in Indianapolis and have therefore been more thoroughly exposed to the culture. However, the percentage of jersey-wearing people in a metro area has no bearing whatsoever on the intrinsic worth of the people living there.
I don't have any facts to debate that it is a negative re "intrinsic worth" nor do I care to do so. But I'll bet you don't have any facts to show it's a positive. What it is at a minimum is an opportunity cost.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I use NYC as a good illustration: the NYC metro has two NFL teams, two NHL teams, and two MLB teams. I've been there during game days of all varieties, including playoff and championship games, and you would never know that anything is going on if you weren't aware of it.
That's a bit of an unfair comparison as there is so much competition for the entertainment dollar.

Additionally, NYC is still primarily a baseball town. Having grown up in the NYC metro, if either the Yankees or Mets are in contention, you know about it. I'd add the Knicks when they're relevant, which hasn't been often lately. Jets/Giants, not so much.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:05 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
On game days, New Orleans or Kansas City or Denver could give Pittsburgh a run. But not on a Tuesday.
Then there's Boston...

Old 05-28-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Then there's Boston...
Lived there two years. Lots of BoSox caps. Few jerseys except those worn into the stadiums. Almost no Patriots or Celtics gear worn regularly although you'll see a few Bruins sweaters.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:04 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,880,844 times
Quote:
Manchester & Liverpool put pittsburgh to shame when it comes to jersey (kit) wearing.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:28 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Manchester & Liverpool put pittsburgh to shame when it comes to jersey (kit) wearing.
The rest of the world takes soccer WAY too seriously. I'm glad it has never really caught on over here. The Canadians are just as sensible...except for ice hockey.

Quote:
I also note you mentioned game day while I was pointing out everyday wearing of black and gold as part of one's regular daily wardrobe. On game days, New Orleans or Kansas City or Denver could give Pittsburgh a run. But not on a Tuesday.
Strangely, Pirates attire, often caps, have been embraced as "Gangsta" around the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlewis View Post
If the guy is adjunct or teaching and not tenured or grant-winning after working for two decades, he apparently isn't either (a) very good at his job or (b) in a very desirable field. Makes me wonder why he'd stick around in the area for 20 years if he's not very successful and hates the place.
You can be tenured, but not make the big bucks. English profs don't win many grants and are a dime a dozen so they are poorly paid. Science based profs are the best paid as they are in demand by industry as well. And they have an easier time (but not guaranteed) winning grants sometimes in the millions of dollars.

I get the impression that the prof of that article is in the Humanities.

Last edited by Yac; 05-29-2012 at 02:47 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 05-28-2012, 11:23 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Strangely, Pirates attire, often caps, have been embraced as "Gangsta" around the country.
lol yep...it was Cinci Reds caps for a while

Old 05-28-2012, 11:34 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
That's something I don't understand

Old 05-28-2012, 03:28 PM

62 posts, read 109,526 times
Quote:

I really have to question your observation skills if you're telling me that you've been to NY while a playoff and/or championship sporting event was going on and you were unaware of it. I was just there 2 weeks ago and there were Rangers jersey's EVERYWHERE, and they're probably not even in the top 5 most popular teams in the city. Ever been there while the Yankees are making a run at the World Series?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh